Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 03:49 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Honestly, I really don't care about the photo. But as a woman and mother in the age of digital media, I think it's important to voice your opinion on these issue. Too many females out there with self image issues, whether they are overweight or not. We need to educate more, send more positive messages.
In my opinion, the positive messages we need to send are to our KIDS about what and when to take information that they receive by digital means seriously. Because a buyer must always beware, even if what they are buying is attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,198,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I 100% agree.
You hardly ever see guys being critical of chiseled men in Men's Fitness magazines. They inspire more than deflate a male's ego.
Why can't women look for inspiration instead of tearing someone down?
Last post because this is just going around in circles.

No one is tearing anyone down. Men have self image issues too.

This is not the type of inspiration we need, and I'm not talking about the woman's physique. Not the point here.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Last post because this is just going around in circles.

No one is tearing anyone down. Men have self image issues too.

This is not the type of inspiration we need, and I'm not talking about the woman's physique. Not the point here.
So what type of inspiration do we need? Give a good example.

As for men having self image issues, I've seen the rise in steroid use in the past two decades for vanity purposes. Still beats being obese and sitting in front of the computer gaming or socializing.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
[quote=Stockyman;31866268]So what type of inspiration do we need? Give a good example.

As for men having self image issues, I've seen the rise in steroid use in the past two decades for vanity purposes. Still beats being obese and sitting in front of the computer gaming or socializing.[/quote]

I've witnessed what steroid abuse can do and I disagree.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So what type of inspiration do we need? Give a good example.

Obviously the kind with unicorns, rainbows, and everyone kumbayahing about how you should accept yourself and everyone just as they are, regardless of whatever bad habits they may have...unless one of their bad habits is putting a mirror in front of those who have bad habits.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
When I was pregnant with my oldest (29 years ago), I attended weekly seminars for new parents, and the nurse giving the lectures talked about women who used child bearing as an excuse to "let themselves go" and not even try to lose the baby weight. She said that she'd often hear overweight women say, "well, I had three kids." She pointed out "well, Ethel Kennedy had ELEVEN, and look at her".

You don't have to be fanatical about it, but I think the "hot mom's" message was not to make excuses.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,485 times
Pride in her hard work is great. Yes, she looks gorgeous and fit. The issue is her caption "What's your excuse?" She is directing this conversation outwardly and therein lies the problem.

If she had just written "post workout with my three kids!" there wouldn't be a problem. She invited the conversation. Once that conversation is open, we can't dictate opinions - she's got to accept the good with the bad.

Personally, I have four kids and am quite fit, same size as I was in high school, but better toned. I have not had domestic help, nor have I lived near family to help me care for my kids.

I used to strap them onto my front and/or back and go hiking up hill while pushing a jogging stroller. I worked out at home and I found gyms that had childcare - all while I telecommuted full time. So, yes, I don't like to hear women complain "It's been downhill after the baby." or "I don't have time." I know how the picture-posting mom feels, but still, no need to gloat and no need to cast hard judgement on others. It should be enough for her that she is healthy and happy.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Pride in her hard work is great. Yes, she looks gorgeous and fit. The issue is her caption "What's your excuse?" She is directing this conversation outwardly and therein lies the problem.

'
I can see where it's obnoxious, but it's branding a product...lots of ads are "in your face."
Plus, the general excuse I hear from everyone is that the reason they aren't in better shape is that they don't have time (ie, don't prioritize health/fitness). Hence the excuse.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:49 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post

If she had just written "post workout with my three kids!" there wouldn't be a problem. She invited the conversation. Once that conversation is open, we can't dictate opinions - she's got to accept the good with the bad.

Personally, I have four kids and am quite fit, same size as I was in high school, but better toned. I have not had domestic help, nor have I lived near family to help me care for my kids.

I used to strap them onto my front and/or back and go hiking up hill while pushing a jogging stroller. I worked out at home and I found gyms that had childcare - all while I telecommuted full time. So, yes, I don't like to hear women complain "It's been downhill after the baby." or "I don't have time." I know how the picture-posting mom feels, but still, no need to gloat and no need to cast hard judgement on others. It should be enough for her that she is healthy and happy.
I agree that she invited the conversation,

Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Obviously the kind with unicorns, rainbows, and everyone kumbayahing about how you should accept yourself and everyone just as they are, regardless of whatever bad habits they may have...unless one of their bad habits is putting a mirror in front of those who have bad habits.
I don't see it this way. I guess I see the "fitness model" poster as delivering a very specific message, that fitness is about looking a certain way, and doing certain activities to get that way.

Wouldn't a more reasonable message be to have the same person clothed in a tshirt and shorts talking about how walking x minutes a week will keep her blood pressure in control, reduce risk for diabetes and staying healthy for your kids?

Does someone have bad habits if they choose not to take the same path to fitness that she does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness