Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,273 times

Advertisements

Reading some of the responses about this hot fit mom on this and other boards makes me realize how people appreciate being overweight and obese. No more personal responsibility, blame it on the media and all the fit and thin people. It's easier to defend being overweight on the keyboard as opposed to actually being active and eating healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,976 times
I really don't have much of an opinion.

I can say, in regards to her abdomen, mine would never look like that without plastic surgery, and the stretch marks would still be there. My pregnancies also caused some vein issues that aren't attractive.

One can still be fit, or even more fit than the hot mom, but still not have the same results cosmetically.

Some of the fitness magazine will report that women(and men) will sometimes prep themselves with a very low calorie diet prior to photo shoots to strip out some of the water and a bit of fat to accentuate muscle definition. In looking at some of her other pics, one wonders if that is what she has done.

I saw that she said elsewhere she does have excess skin and stretch marks as a result of her pregnancy. So was the poster with the three kids photoshopped then?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,846,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Elk Grove 'hot mom' on viral photo: 'I didn't call you fat'

She definitely looks good and works hard at it. I think she didn't get enough attention when she posted the photo last year so she responds a year later to those that "criticized" her with an apology. LOL.

What do you think?
OMG, I didn't realize she was in my town ....Whatever. good for her. There are lots of people out there proud of their hard work, and use this type of marketing to sell their version of fitness. And there are lots of people who think their fitness methodology is better than everyone else's. I think she falls into one of these categories. I see these type of posts on Facebook all the time.

As I mentioned in our local non-CD forum where we are also discussing this, I disagree that she caused anyone to feel "fat shamed." No one can make you feel anything, a person choose to react with a specific feeling based on their life experiences and coping skills.

I reviewing her Facebook page & personal website, I don't see any evidence that she was ever morbidly obese. Sure she had mommy fat, real fat, but that is not the same, in my book, as being morbidly or obese. Yes, she claims that she is not a personal trainer, and she says she had an eating disorder, but again, I've found nothing on her personal pages to indicate there was any obesity. BTW, she competed in the Sacramento Ms Natural figure competition. I suppose if I had a better idea of her journey, I might be more impressed, but I am not. I'm much more impressed with the journey of the former & current fatties at my gym further up the hill.

But hey, if she's happy with what she's doing, then good for her.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Actually, a lot of women in the fitness community disagree with this photo as well. It is not just obese or even average women, but those who look like Ms Kang and who kids as well (some even have more).

If you were a woman who has trained to this level of body fat/fitness after children, then you probably realize that it takes an extraordinary amount of energy to do so. At 3 weeks, I would leave my son with my husband, take the baby downstairs, and do kettlebells right beside him. I would do this being up allll night with my baby. I would stick to meal plans despite my nursing body demanding more food. Looking back now at 1 year, I don't think it was worth it, but that is also where a "no excuses" attitude takes you. It adds an extreme amount of pressure onto women who are already struggling to adjust to motherhood.

Add into that, women who naturally will have stretch marks (I do), loose skin (I do - my babies were large and my body not gifted), and who have severe abdominal separation and CANNOT do a crunch or plank or their organs squish around, and you have a great number of women who no matter how much dieting and exercise they do, cannot look like that.

She looks wonderful, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But take it from me, a mother who has done it too, she is about as "realistic" to the average postpartum woman as you are a celebrity on the cover of People magazine. There is a huge amount of work and energy behind it, sometimes too much so. Being postpartum with a baby to care for is a time where a woman should not need to proclaim an "excuse" to not expend extraordinary energy into an athletic appearance.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I really don't have much of an opinion.

I can say, in regards to her abdomen, mine would never look like that without plastic surgery, and the stretch marks would still be there. My pregnancies also caused some vein issues that aren't attractive.

One can still be fit, or even more fit than the hot mom, but still not have the same results cosmetically.

Some of the fitness magazine will report that women(and men) will sometimes prep themselves with a very low calorie diet prior to photo shoots to strip out some of the water and a bit of fat to accentuate muscle definition. In looking at some of her other pics, one wonders if that is what she has done.

I saw that she said elsewhere she does have excess skin and stretch marks as a result of her pregnancy. So was the poster with the three kids photoshopped then?
Exactly. So eithet she has had surgery or she has been photoshopped. If so then she is a fraud. Maybe it wouldnt have been so bad of a backlash if she had appeared in just standard mommy on the go clothes with her kids. People would still see that she is of healthy weight and fit. But instead she has to appear in workout gear to really drive home the point that her abs her arns and legs are sculpted. So basically unless you spend as much time and effort as she did to be that sculpted, you are making excuses. Even just losing the baby weight and eating right isnt enough because the average woman isnt going to look like that unless she goes the extra extra mile that a pro like her does. As well as shell out for cosmetic surgery. Thats why her message was lost on a lot of her intended audience. Good luck with the sale, lady.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,677,099 times
I say good for her. I'm in fairly good shape, but so far have been unwilling to ramp it up enough to get to the next level. I really appreciate the work and dedication it takes to achieve such results.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
I would not say her photo is photoshopped although she has likely used a low carb dieting/drying out method for photoshoots which is very common in fitness photography. Some women really don't have a scratch after many pregnancies, and some of us do. It's genetics, and obviously some other factors such as excessive gain can have an impact.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:43 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
People would still see that she is of healthy weight and fit. But instead she has to appear in workout gear to really drive home the point that her abs her arns and legs are sculpted. So basically unless you spend as much time and effort as she did to be that sculpted, you are making excuses. Even just losing the baby weight and eating right isnt enough because the average woman isnt going to look like that unless she goes the extra extra mile that a pro like her does. As well as shell out for cosmetic surgery. Thats why her message was lost on a lot of her intended audience. Good luck with the sale, lady.
Everyone doesn't want to be "sculpted" and hard either. There were some pics of Kang when she was supposed to be overweight and I think she looked better. I like the softer look of rounded curves for women over hard muscles and gristle, but that is up to the individual. I don't see Kang's look as the ideal, just a personal choice and too much specific work for the result, unless you love love to work out and have lots of time to do it. Otherwise, moderation, people and it's all good. No excuses necessary.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,917 times
There's no need to judge this woman or to give an explanation for yourself...Just imagine--What if it was a buff guy instead w/ the same "What's your excuse?" statement?

There would definitely be less of an uproar-- way less. In fact it might make some people (like myself) laugh.

All this shows and underscores is the fact that women are often judged to some extent by their looks, that's why some people are getting upset--they're taking it personally because this woman has touched a soft spot w/ most women, not because they look bad, but because they know there is an element of culture at large that is judging them or telling them what "beautiful" is.

I will say though that I believe her question isn't helpful or considerate. It's made in self-interest.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
There's no need to judge this woman or to give an explanation for yourself...Just imagine--What if it was a buff guy instead w/ the same "What's your excuse?" statement?

There would definitely be less of an uproar-- way less. In fact it might make some people (like myself) laugh.

All this shows and underscores is the fact that women are often judged to some extent by their looks, that's why some people are getting upset--they're taking it personally because this woman has touched a soft spot w/ most women, not because they look bad, but because they know there is an element of culture at large that is judging them or telling them what "beautiful" is.

I will say though that I believe her question isn't helpful or considerate. It's made in self-interest.
Interesting.
I have always wondered why more men aren't in better shape/better looking.
It is far easier for them to do so than a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness