Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 AM

734 posts, read 842,452 times

Advertisements

I've tried numerous times after friends recommended that I go low carb. They say "give it some time". I gave it about three months last time and found that 1) I have low energy and drag a** to the point where it affects my performance at work. 2) My results aren't any better than going on a low calorie (but not low carb diet). I was reading a book called "Power Eating" which recommends that those who exercise regularly and lift weights to eat 70% carbohydrates. I'm about ready to try that. The book claims that low carb works great for 20% of the population but not-so-great for some people. Could some of us just be better suited to higher carb diets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
My bf does amazing on low carb.

I don't. I feel horrible, weak, tired, and unhappy. Turns out, I need carbs for my thyroid. I have thyroid issues. No more low carb diets for me!!

I think it always depends on the invidual. You tried it long enough to see it didn't work for you. Try something else.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM

734 posts, read 842,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

I don't. I feel horrible, weak, tired, and unhappy. Turns out, I need carbs for my thyroid. I have thyroid issues. No more low carb diets for me!!

I think it always depends on the invidual. You tried it long enough to see it didn't work for you. Try something else.
I have a friend, who is a personal trainer, that thinks that just because it works for him that it should work for everyone. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but yeah maybe it's time to try something else. I was on vacation last week and ate whatever I wanted (which included LOTS of carbs) and have felt better than I have in months (since before I began the low carb diet).

Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
I don't function well on low-carbs; the longest I made it was 5 months and I felt like crap the entire time. However, I do very strictly limit grains and seeds because I have a hard time digesting them. So, at this point I don't count carbs or anything, but I mainly get them from fruits and veggies, potatoes now and then... and only have a piece of good bread on the rare occasion that I'm willing to claw someone's face off for a piece.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 08-18-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 11:36 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
I'm a avid runner/lifter with low bf and need tons of carbs to fuel my body. I notice, if I dont get a certain amount of carbs, my body starts to literally hurt, LOl

Going low carbs is only for people who dont exercise often and want to lose weight; not really meant for the active exerciser, IMO

Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

This is interesting, eve, because according to everything I've read, the higher-protein, low carb diet is best for supporting thyroid. I have thyroid disease, and do great on it. But you do whatever works for you.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:06 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Going low carbs is only for people who dont exercise often and want to lose weight; not really meant for the active exerciser, IMO
Actually, higher-protein, low-carb diets work best with regular exercise with weights; a gym routine is part of the weight-loss program on those. The protein fuels the building of lean muscle mass, which facilitates and accelerates weight loss.

However, there's a theory that different body types respond differently to different types of diet. There's a book out there that categorizes body types, and offers tailored diets for each type--each type does best on a certain type of diet.

I'm finding it interesting how different people respond about their experience with a low-carb diet. There does seem to be something to the body-type theory.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:07 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
I tried low carb a month ago for like a week and it made working out MISERABLE for me. I had zero energy.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:07 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'm a avid runner/lifter with low bf and need tons of carbs to fuel my body. I notice, if I dont get a certain amount of carbs, my body starts to literally hurt, LOl

I used to believe that, but now think its a bunch of nonsense, at least for me personally. I find that my workout intensity doesn't change when I'm on a low carb diet but my motivation goes way up. Mentally it becomes much easier for me to focus. In general eating high carbs leaves me feeling sluggish, ill-tempered, feeling worn down and its something I stuck with for years because that is what you were supposed to do. Now I eat very few carbs for the most part and I'm having some of the best workouts of my life in early 30's.

One renowned strength coach, Charles Poliquin, has a simple test for his athletes on whether or not they should consume a lot of carbs and it involves basically sitting down and eating a big carb-laden breakfast, pancakes with syrup, waffles...along those lines. Then he has them write down exactly how they feel an hour to an hour and 30 minutes later. For those who feel energetic, clear-headed and ready to go, they will likely thrive on a carb heavy diet, for those who feel slow, tired and almost sleepy, carbs should be minimized in their diet.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:08 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
I have hashimotos.

If you google thyroid and low carb, tons of results will jump into your face.

I had no clue, I was on low carb, felt crappy and went to a regular check up and my endocrinologist said we need to double the meds. I said "could it be from the low carb diet?" She said "OMG, don't do that!!!" I started eating normal again and guess what - my hormon levels got much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness