Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Well that goes against everything I've read, which is a lot, regarding nutrition/fitness. That's news to me. *shrug*
It's true. Good read on the subject.

How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need : BodyRecomposition

Quote:
I'm talking about more long-term, people who make a lifestyle living while basically not eating ANY carbs at all - like the Atkins BS.
Not an approach I would want to take, but perfectly doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
The body really hates change.

Eat too little fat, it'll think you're starving and start storing whatever new food you eat as fat.
Eat too little protein, it'll start breaking down your existing muscles to get it.
Eat too little carbs, it'll start using protein for fuel, so a high protein, low carb diet won't necessarily help build more muscle.
It's actually a lot more complicated than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
Ive tried the low carb thing and I always feel horrible...I feel dizzy, weak, nauseated, and just miserable.

I realized that for me, I need a healthy amount of carbs in my life, and I"m not referring to fruit carbs...but rather whole grains, etc.

It's a struggle for me at times b/c I like bread, rice, crackers. But processed carbs are something I know and want to incorporate less of into my body.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:47 PM

739 posts, read 844,468 times
Good to know I am not alone in feeling like crap when on this diet. I guess it is like several posters stated, there is one diet that fits everyone. It is easy to get confused with all of the conflicting info out there.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiaCat View Post
Low carb, high fat works extremely well for everyone, IF you do it right. Start off by reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Phinney and Volek. Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore, and Wheat Belly Total Health by Dr. William Davis are also excellent in explaining this lifestyle.

Remember, humans have not eaten high carb for most of their time on Earth. Only about 10,000 years ago did the practice of consuming grains begin, and along with it many degenerative diseases such as arthritis, dental decay, blood sugar issues and digestive upset.

Athletic performance, and life in general, is so much more efficient and pleasant when you become able to burn fat for fuel, instead of being a sugar burner. It's called attaining a state of nutritional ketosis. Burning sugar, you'll be hungry frequently and experience blood sugar spikes and drops. Burning fat, you can go easily 8-10 hours between meals with no sugar spikes/drops. With stable blood sugars you'll never experience the inflammation and degenerative diseases caused by too much sugar. Do some research in order to find the correct way to go low carb high fat.

no it doesnt work well for everyone. And you seem to think that carbs are just wheats and grains. Go ahead and tell me the health hazards of consuming white/sweet potatoes, squash, quinoa, and oats. Do some research in order to find the correct way to eat a higher amount of carbs for the person doing high intensity training, and then see that person putting up better numbers in the gym and having their BF go down, like mine did. Funny little anecdote here....one of the ladies at our gym finished 6th in the 40-44 Division at the CrossFit games two years ago, and 3rd last year(she now competes in the NPGL). At one of the competitor meetings where every athlete from every division is there, they asked for a show of hands for those that followed a strict Paleo diet(low carb). She said only a couple hands went up out of a couple hundred or so competitors. These people have figured out that low carb is not necessary, and can be counterproductive to performance.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 AM

739 posts, read 844,468 times
Has anyone gone as high as 70% carbs? That is what is recommended in the book "Power Eating". I'd be interesting in hearing how that turned out. Before I went low carb, I was averaging around 40-50% carbs. When on vacation, I eat a higher percentage of carbs and feel better, but wasn't sure whether that's due to the carbs or just being off of work.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 AM

506 posts, read 958,804 times
Carbs are need in general for a healthy weight loss to take place. I dislike those fad diets that tell people to go low carb or omit any carbs (including fruit and complex carbs) since they are hard to impossible to stick too in the long run after your dieting or weight loss is over. Reducing your carbs is fine for weight loss as well as your other macronutrients in order to be at a deficit, but it should never be severe restriction.

If you want, you could try 'carb cycling' which you would lower and raise your carbs on certain days to achieve weight loss without losing energy needed to workout or just to be normally energetic as usual.

Last edited by Zara Ray; 08-19-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
What works for me is low starch. I've eliminated pretty much all grain and eat pasta rice and potatoes very sparingly.

Vegetables are carbs, so I'm not going to cut those out at all.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:56 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
For every gram of carbohydrate you consume, your body retains 3 or 4 grams of water; drastically cutting carbs will inevitably lead to weight loss, but that initial loss is water-weight, not fat.
Unless ... you stick with it for longer than a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
So many pseudo doctors and nutrition experts on here. Its amazing.
Pot, meet kettle. You know what's really amazing -- how someone can agree with the fact that low carb works for some people not others, yet assert that everyone would feel better if they ate more carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
green veggies aren't. Protein isn't, if you're on a low-carb diet. You'd have to eat enormous bowls-full of salad greens, cucumber, etc. for those foods to be fattening. Carbs are far easier to overdo--it doesn't take much at all. For the average person, anyway.
And that's why it works so well for weight loss. What's going to keep you satisfied longer, 200 calories of chicken, or 200 calories of rice or bread?

The only high-carb foods that will keep me from looking for food in an hour are oatmeal, berries, and apples.

Quote:
Your body, and your brain, NEED carbs to function
Yours might. Mine doesn't. Are we still not getting the "no food plan is one-size-fits-all" yet?

Quote:
I'm talking about more long-term, people who make a lifestyle living while basically not eating ANY carbs at all - like the Atkins BS.
You really don't know much about low carb way of eating, do you? Even the "Atkins BS" does not include "not eating ANY carbs at all". Perhaps you should read up on a topic before commenting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Carbs are need in general for a healthy weight loss to take place. I dislike those fad diets that tell people to go low carb or omit any carbs (including fruit and complex carbs) since they are hard to impossible to stick too in the long run after your dieting or weight loss is over. Reducing your carbs is fine for weight loss as well as your other macronutrients in order to be at a deficit, but it should never be severe restriction.
See above.

Oh, and low-carb food plans have been around for decades. Hardly a "fad diet".

Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unless ... you stick with it for longer than a week.
Note that I specified the *initial* weight loss (ie. that "Holy crap, I dropped 10 pounds in the first week" weight loss), which was the context of my reply.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:36 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Carbs are need in general for a healthy weight loss to take place. I dislike those fad diets that tell people to go low carb or omit any carbs (including fruit and complex carbs) l.

Low carb diets aren't really a fad, they've been followed in one way or another for 100+ years. People regaining their lost weight isn't limited to low-carb diets or "fad diets", most people who lose weight end up gaining it back, usually in short order and that mostly comes back to habits simply being very difficult to break.

Simple or complex diets, fad diets or mainstream diets, they all show similar percentages of people regressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness