Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
And I'm pretty much the exact opposite. A high protein, high fat breakfast leaves me feeling like I'm ready to start tearing down the walls, either when I get to work or to the gym. Eating oatmeal or cereal just usually leaves me feeling sluggish and wanting to take a nap.

There's no single "one size fits all diet" for everyone. People need to figure out what their body responds best to and go with that.
Do you by any chance wash it down with a couple of Monster energy drinks? That's a pretty excessive reaction to what many people would consider to be a normal breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 09:23 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I have been on low carb for a couple of months and feel better than ever. We all need to listen to our bodies and find what is right for us. I had a check up and labs before starting the diet, and then a month later. All my labs improved. I have only lost 9#, but know I will continue to lose slowly.
I know that when I eat simple carbs, I feel sluggish and sleepy, especially early in the day, so therefore I don't. It's not rocket science. If it works, do it. If it doesn't, don't.
I still have a day a month, or so, where I go crazy and have pizza or a dessert, but really, I don't miss those things very much.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Do you by any chance wash it down with a couple of Monster energy drinks? That's a pretty excessive reaction to what many people would consider to be a normal breakfast.
Not really, I just feel energized and focused, whereas for most of my life I was eating the typical toast or cereal breakfast and riding the up and down rollercoaster afterwards.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Note that I specified the *initial* weight loss (ie. that "Holy crap, I dropped 10 pounds in the first week" weight loss), which was the context of my reply.
That happens with every weight loss food plan. Not sure why you think it's a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Mmmmmkay, defensive about low-carb much? JFC.
No, just defensive about intelligent discourse. Mmmmkay?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I haven't read all the replies but I cut out gluten and sugar and that made a world of difference to me. No more migraines, IBS, or sleepless nights.

I really started sleeping better.

I'm a runner also.
Perhaps its the sugar that was giving you problems. Gluten,not so much.
Gluten is not the enemy.

Gluten Sensitivity And Study Replication - Business Insider

Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know that when I eat simple carbs, I feel sluggish and sleepy, especially early in the day, so therefore I don't.

Exactly this. If low carb is going to work for you, it becomes pretty obvious. A healthy low carb breakfast and I can work through lunch without a problem. Eating oatmeal or quinoa and my productivity is basically shot and I am starving again before noon.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Perhaps its the sugar that was giving you problems. Gluten,not so much.
Gluten is not the enemy.
Didn't just a few posts ago you advocate that everyone should follow how their own body feels?

Maybe gluten is not your enemy. But to others, it causes all sorts of problems.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:43 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Low carb has never worked for me. When I want to lose weight, I need to cut out the fatty meat and la de da and eat high fiber.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That happens with every weight loss food plan. Not sure why you think it's a bad thing?
I never said nor implied that it was a bad thing. Only that what appears to be a jump-start in "weight loss" is actually water weight, not an indication that the diet is working. If it works for you and it's sustainable, then go for it. I prefer not to drastically limit any macronutrients, and rely on body fat measurement to tell me whether or not my methods are working.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Didn't just a few posts ago you advocate that everyone should follow how their own body feels?

Maybe gluten is not your enemy. But to others, it causes all sorts of problems.
If you actually read the study you would understand that gluten sensitivity is really a non issue for people not suffering from Celiac and other actual diseases. In other words, its the placebo effect, people want to be sensitive to it so they are.
And I do advocate for people to find their own way. Maybe if they listen to their bodies and not what society is telling them they may actually be successful with their diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness