Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
59. Dirt bike, lift weights, treadmill, eat right, 7-8 hours of sleep, rinse, repeat.
Exactly, I’m 59 and female. Except for the dirt bike, I do similar activities. Sleep maybe 8-10 hours like today.
For weight lifting, I do very mild, nothing crazy, yet yesterdayas I was working in the garden, I can feel the effect. My should was sore a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 12:03 PM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
FYI, leg weights will cause knee and hip problems. There is absolutely no reason to use them. ….

Can you cite some medical evidence for this? This seems more like hearsay, but if it is true, I'm interested in reading about it.

I don't know what a muck bucket is but it doesn't sound like something you should be trying to clean and jerk.

I cringe when I see people using ankle weights-- they don't work the leg muscles-- they work the psoas-- the sit-up muscles that flex the thigh on the torso at the hip joint. Good way to develop chronic "back problem"- really imbalance of psoas mm. vs glutes.

I don't know of any studies per se-- scan the pathology literature-- but it's deductive reasoning: aging of joints including ligaments/cartilage (tendons are made of cartilage) is a process of accumulative oxidation over the years-- just like old tires are no good because the rubber gets dried and cracked even without use (due to oxidation of the rubber)...Nothing you can do to prevent aging (except maybe die young)….
Building muscle is essentially a process of healing---exercise tears down the muscle and rest allows it to grow back in thicker, just like making callouses on you hands...As we age, we heal more slowly, but don't stop completely, so building muscle is a little more difficult as we age.

A muck bucket is a 30 gal plastic bucket used when cleaning stalls. A full one goes maybe 100-120 lb, but it's not a barbell that can be gripped over-hand. It's got side handles on the rim and is gripped under-hand.... I had to lift it 5 ft off the ground to get it over the wall into the compost pile-- something I'd done daily for years...One day, Pop! It was so sudden and hurt so bad my first thought was to look over to The Grassy Knoll to see if there was a second shooter.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:25 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm a male who will be 60 in a few months. What do most people my age do for fitness routine. I enjoy pilates, zumba, and workouts - but it seems that most people in fitness classes are 20 something Ashleys and Britney-) I was able to do triathlons earlier in the decade but find I don't have the stamina these days. I want to stay as healthy as possible in my 60s. Any suggestions - IMHO it seems that many 60 year old men start have healthy problems.
You will be much more capable than most 60 yo, so I would repeat that this is simply a number. However, there are just a couple of issues I'd like to address.

1. Triathletes have a higher incidence of heart problems- be sure to get a thorough heart check including a fitness test with 12 leads- I think insurance should pay for it at your age, but if not LIE to get them to pay- this is a test everyone should have. Once you know of a heart problem, it is often too late

2. I cannot stress enough the healthy muscle/conn. tissue components of flexibility and elasticity. Please engage in some kind of long and languid stretching work. If you like a slow (yin) yoga, great. If not, perhaps a foam roller class. Something where deep and uncomfortable stretches are being held for minimum 60 seconds each

3. You did not mention injuries, but being an active adult, I bet you have them. They just seem to linger a bit, and have to be babied a bit more than they did thirty years ago. Don't be hard on yourself when you realize that cannot run all the way up that 1 mile hill near your house like you used to

Good luck, and good for you!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:49 PM

538 posts, read 539,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
"120 push-ups in 2 minutes?"

Yes, please post a video. I would like to see that.
Mi dispiace. That should have read 120 pushups in 4 minutes. 50 regular, 1:15 rest, 40 wide, 1:15 rest, 30 diamond. Let me know if you really want to see the video.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:47 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
At 67 I do extreme hiking and climbing when I get the chance. To be prepared, I walk, bike, hit the treadmill on a steep incline along with weight lifting. Do most of the standard lifts 3-4 times a week. Although I used to run in the past, I never enjoyed and avoid it like the plague these days.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
Mi dispiace. That should have read 120 pushups in 4 minutes. 50 regular, 1:15 rest, 40 wide, 1:15 rest, 30 diamond. Let me know if you really want to see the video.

That's much easier. I'll try it and get back to you on posting the video.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:47 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Do what you enjoy, what your body is capable of doing, and your fitness will follow. Do it on a regular basis - 4-5 times a week.

I balance cardio and weight machines with outdoor activities...gotta see the clouds racing by and feel the sun and breeze on my face, too. Too much indoor time and I get squirrely. Love riding my bike along the waterfront or beach walking...

Yoga lowers my blood pressure and gives me good balance.

Mix it up...it's fun!

Walking in pretty places can't be beat!

Old 02-20-2019, 02:00 AM

21,549 posts, read 8,731,914 times
I'm a 70-year-old woman and I've been doing this exercise routine 3-4 times a week since I was 60:

1. 30-35 minutes on the elliptical, pedaling an average of 5 mph for 2.50 to 3 miles
2. 5 arm resistance machines (3 sets of 12 reps on each machine)
3. 1 ab resistance machine (3 sets of 12 reps)
4. 1 leg press (3 sets of 12 reps)
5. 1 lower back resistance machine (3 sets of 12 reps)
6. 20-25 minutes on the treadmill at ~3 mph for at least one mile.

I am not trying to build big muscles, and I don't push myself too hard because I don't want to get hurt. I listen to my body and don't try to work through pain because that's how chronic injuries happen.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,011,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'm a 70-year-old woman and I've been doing this exercise routine 3-4 times a week since I was 60:

1. 30-35 minutes on the elliptical, pedaling an average of 5 mph for 2.50 to 3 miles

I am not trying to build big muscles, and I don't push myself too hard because I don't want to get hurt. I listen to my body and don't try to work through pain because that's how chronic injuries happen.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Respect. Health permitting, you should be active for awhile. I regularly exercise w/ 80+ yr olds who have similar routines. We're side by side (I'm nearly 30 yrs younger) doing Les Mills fitness classes (lifting, Pilates type classes, yoga, etc etc). They have my respect. I'm sure there are days where they don't have the energy/motivation like they did 20-30 yrs earlier and they still show up and get it done.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:56 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Is there a reason you do a lot of arm machines and ignore chest, back, and shoulders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness