Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times

Advertisements

I took a CrossFit class last week with a friend of mine just to check it out. It wasn't anything special. It's somewhat comparable to the strength and conditioning classes I take at my MMA gym. Also, I was much stronger than most of the CF folks there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 05:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I withhold judgement as to the effectiveness of crossfit, but I will say that it has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever, and I've been a fitness buff for more than 50 years.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
CrossFit refers to deadlift and all those other non-aerobic, standing-around; gym-based; weightlifting exercises as "isolation" exercises which cannot compare with CrossFit WOD's insofar as aiding to a person's overall fitness level, which should include cardio, endurance and flexibility.
The crossfit definition is irrelevant to me. The deadlift is a compound lift. You can't change that. You can change how YOU define it, but you can't change what it actually is.

Quote:
Deadlift offers you zero help in ANY of those three areas. Now, crossfit, yes, does have some WOD's in which deadlift-type exercises are used, but they are only one portion of the WOD, which usually consists of at least three different exercises. Also: the deadlifts are to be done several times--as in CF's popular 21-15-9 format, thus using a lighter weight than a guy doing one-time max deadlifts in a gym, while he stands around adjusting his ipod in between lifts. Or fixing his bandana, or chugging form his one-gallon water bottle! LOL
Something tells me you haven't spent enough time in a conventional gym if this is what you think people who deadlift are doing.

Quote:
I wonder how seriously you would take me if you came to my box and we did a WOD together? LOL Like maybe a "[i]Murph."
Honesty I probably wouldn't be impressed at all.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM

339 posts, read 334,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I took a CrossFit class last week with a friend of mine just to check it out. It wasn't anything special. It's somewhat comparable to the strength and conditioning classes I take at my MMA gym. Also, I was much stronger than most of the CF folks there.
Well, I will take your word for that.

If you do MMA stuff then you are undoubtedly doing many exercises and routines similar to what XFift does and are also probably in better overall shape than your average gym-goer.

Also, it you live on the South Side of Chicago you gotta be pretty tough, so I am not gonna call you on it! LOL.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
Der Vogel is an obvious troll and can we please ban him?

"LOL CROSSFIT is awesome and they don't do deadlifts in crossfit. Except for when the WOD calls for deadlifts. Then we do them. But when we do them, they aren't isolation work and it's beneficial."

Please leave

Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 AM

339 posts, read 334,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Der Vogel is an obvious troll and can we please ban him?

"LOL CROSSFIT is awesome and they don't do deadlifts in crossfit. Except for when the WOD calls for deadlifts. Then we do them. But when we do them, they aren't isolation work and it's beneficial."

Please leave

Here' s an idea: You leave.

I stand by everything I have said. (I sure wish I could get you to come by my Box for a WOD!)

Here...learn something...

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/benefits-of-crossfit.html\

(I am gonna leave this thread, though, as I have said all I need. I am going to start my own X-Fit thread. Please stay out of it unless you can contribute something useful and constructive. Troll it for the sole purpose of denigrating my opnion, and I will report you to the mods faster than you can say WOD! )

Last edited by Der Vogel; 02-25-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Deadlift was my favorite before rupturing the Achilles. When I was doing 5x5's hitting 335 on the last set, that was huge for me being 54YO and 160lbs. Make sure you learn form correctly as you are pulling a lot of weight, but it hits almost every muscle group.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Deadlift was my favorite before rupturing the Achilles. When I was doing 5x5's hitting 335 on the last set, that was huge for me being 54YO and 160lbs. Make sure you learn form correctly as you are pulling a lot of weight, but it hits almost every muscle group.
How'd you rupture your achilles? That injury is usually saved for football and basketball.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
My sister hurt her back doing them. I never have. I found that it's too dangerous to continue doing them, but they seem to really do the job quickly. My behind and legs and back never looked better!

I just think it's because back injuries are really crippling and the deadlift is the easiest way to get said injuries.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
My sister hurt her back doing them. I never have. I found that it's too dangerous to continue doing them, but they seem to really do the job quickly. My behind and legs and back never looked better!

I just think it's because back injuries are really crippling and the deadlift is the easiest way to get said injuries.
My knees are already degrading at a young age. I skip deadlift because I absolutely can't afford to have weak knees and an injured back. Then again I've never had a goal of being huge anyways so training legs isn't a big deal for me. I was squatting, doing calf extensions, and running before my knees were on the brink of tearing. Sucks but not much I can do about it except face reality and play it smart. Thinking of buying knee sleeves to see if that helps enough to feel safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness