Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
i disagree. powerlifters consider deadlifting as a back lift not a leg lift like the squat. if done properly, your lower back does the vast majority of the lifting off of the floor and your upper back from knees to lock out. i have never had sore legs from deadlifting myself. i have been to many meets where a guy deadlifts a ton but can't squat much at all. conversely, i have seen big squatters have a poor deadlift.
Would you consider the leg press to be a back exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
i disagree. powerlifters consider deadlifting as a back lift not a leg lift like the squat. if done properly, your lower back does the vast majority of the lifting off of the floor and your upper back from knees to lock out. i have never had sore legs from deadlifting myself. i have been to many meets where a guy deadlifts a ton but can't squat much at all. conversely, i have seen big squatters have a poor deadlift.
I, as most powerlifters I know, do squat and deadlift on the same day.

If you're trying to move the weight off the floor with your lower back, you're not going to lift much weight. The lower back helps maintain upper body position throughout the lift. The legs move the weight. As it passes the knees, the upper back takes over.

So you are correct. It is a back exercise. But it is also a leg exercise.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 PM

260 posts, read 549,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Would you consider the leg press to be a back exercise?
leg primarily and back secondary, much dependent on how low you go with the weight and how you place your feet. the lower you go and the wider your feet, the more the back is involved.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 PM

260 posts, read 549,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post

If you're trying to move the weight off the floor with your lower back, you're not going to lift much weight. The lower back helps maintain upper body position throughout the lift. The legs move the weight. As it passes the knees, the upper back takes over.

we never trained heavy deadlifts & heavy squats on the same day. the only time this was done was at a meet.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
To some extent? Sorry, but the deadlift doesn't just involve the legs. The leg muscles are the ones that it primarily works. I realize that the deadlift is considered a back exercise, but why it's not also considered a leg exercise is beyond me. Deadlifts work your quads, hamstring and glutes. After doing deadlifts, I feel soreness in my legs, not my back. Your comparison to the bench press doesn't work. With the bench press, you're primarily working your chest while your shoulders and triceps are assisting. But with the deadlift, your quads aren't just assisting. They're what you're using to push off the ground and stand up.
Feeling soreness after a lift is not indicative of what body parts an exercise works. People's traps are sore after squatting for the first time because they aren't used to resting a barbell there. Also, quads are not the primary mover in a deadlift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Isn't it more of a hamstring workout? I thought that is what you use to drive your heels downward. I do my deadlifts without much squat, though.
Deadlifts work virtually your entire body. It's a compound movement, and when performed correctly you're going to be working basically every large muscle in your lower body as well as your forearms, abs, and traps.

Quote:
Powerlifters consider deadlifting as deadlifting. They don't categorize it into a back or leg workout as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post

lol. Why would powerlifters do squats and deadlifts on the same day? If they want to perform optimally, they would be smart to not their 2 biggest lifts on the same day. For beginners, there are programs that have squats and deads on the same day, but for a real PLer, this is usually not the case.

Most people have the deadlift completely wrong. Your hips/glutes should lockout when your legs lockout. If this isn't happening, you aren't performing the deadlift to your full potential. My deadlift shot up once i realized how important the hips/glutes were in performing the lift. If you want a good assistance exercise for this try pullthroughs.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:33 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
Feeling soreness after a lift is not indicative of what body parts an exercise works. People's traps are sore after squatting for the first time because they aren't used to resting a barbell there. Also, quads are not the primary mover in a deadlift.

Deadlifts work virtually your entire body. It's a compound movement, and when performed correctly you're going to be working basically every large muscle in your lower body as well as your forearms, abs, and traps.

Powerlifters consider deadlifting as deadlifting. They don't categorize it into a back or leg workout as far as I am concerned.

lol. Why would powerlifters do squats and deadlifts on the same day? If they want to perform optimally, they would be smart to not their 2 biggest lifts on the same day. For beginners, there are programs that have squats and deads on the same day, but for a real PLer, this is usually not the case.

Most people have the deadlift completely wrong. Your hips/glutes should lockout when your legs lockout. If this isn't happening, you aren't performing the deadlift to your full potential. My deadlift shot up once i realized how important the hips/glutes were in performing the lift. If you want a good assistance exercise for this try pullthroughs.
What if your not trying to become a power lifter? That is not my goal. I just want to look good!

Seriously though, I just want to fit into 32" pants again with ease and be able to do 3 sets of 10 pullups. Plus have a decent amount of muscle which I'm pretty much have already.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
we never trained heavy deadlifts & heavy squats on the same day. the only time this was done was at a meet.
I always do both on the same day. When I first started lifting weights, I would do the deadlift on back days because people kept telling it's a back exercise. But I discovered that my legs would still be sore from doing squats and that made it harder to perform deadlifts. I even made sure to take a day rest between Leg day and Back day. I then reversed the order and put Back day before Leg day. Same problem. After doing the deadlift two days earlier, my legs were still sore, making it harder to do effective squats. So when I finally put both exercises on the same day, doing squats and then deadlifts, I noticed that it was easier to do deadlifts, I could use more weight, and my legs bulked up a lot faster. And when back day came around, my ability to perform exercises didn't suffer.

Quote:
I'm not a beginner. I've been lifting long enough to know what the soreness I'm feeling is coming from.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
What if your not trying to become a power lifter? That is not my goal. I just want to look good!

Seriously though, I just want to fit into 32" pants again with ease and be able to do 3 sets of 10 pullups. Plus have a decent amount of muscle which I'm pretty much have already.
What is your current routine? Do you focus on your diet at all?

For your goals, I would say complexes/cardio coupled with bodyweight training (primarily pullups/dips) would suffice. Also, strengthening your back with exercises like rows and deadlifts will help.

I recently read something that showed pullups hit your abs harder than any other exercise if done correctly. I'll see if i can get the link

good luck

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
What is your current routine? Do you focus on your diet at all?

For your goals, I would say complexes/cardio coupled with bodyweight training (primarily pullups/dips) would suffice. Also, strengthening your back with exercises like rows and deadlifts will help.

I recently read something that showed pullups hit your abs harder than any other exercise if done correctly. I'll see if i can get the link

good luck
I've focused on running alot more now. I go running 2-3 times a week. I run 2-3 miles each time. After my run, I do a series ab streches and whatnot. At the park I usually run at, they have pullup and other bars so I do a few sets of lifting my body in varies ways.

I try to get to the gym 3 times a week but always get to the gym twice a week. I do my legs though I have to take a week off, I feel my knee starting to get that bad feeling so need to take a week off for my knee. I do my chest and back. I do my arms all in one day. Yea I know, I've heard doing my arms all in one day is a bad idea. I start off with my shoulders then to my tris, then my biecps, then my forearms. I focus on military press and dips then try to do some chinups if possible. Depending on the gym I'm at and how busy it is, I have to switch up my routine.

Then I do 20 minutes of cardio on an eplitic (spelling) or do my abs, once again depending on which gym I'm at. I like to do my abs last but if the ab area is slammed, I do cardio and vise versa.

I've lost about 15 pounds in the last three months, mostly from my gut which is my goal. Thanks to the lower weight, I can do ALOT more dips. I use to struggle doing 3 sets of 10. Now I can do 4 sets of 10. I can also do a few more pullups per set.

My diet, I've cut soda drinking from my diet. I mean, I sometimes do drink it on the weekend with friends but I use to drink it daily during the week...just cause. I drink about a gallon of water a day now. I eat a banana, apple, and half a cucumber daily as well. I've cut down on fatty food as well.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Just piping up here, but that makes sense to me. I've added pullups to my weight routine, and I am really feeling it in my abs. I would have thought it was all shoulders and back, but I feel it in my abs the most afterward. I'm not sure why, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness