Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Sorry, chicas, that's just ghetto
Sorry, Chamy, but when I was 20 and could do 200 sit-ups without breaking a sweat you better believe I showed things off.

Today, not so much, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry, Chamy, but when I was 20 and could do 200 sit-ups without breaking a sweat you better believe I showed things off.

Today, not so much, lol.
But being 20, that can be a fashion statement among the youth culture.

Over 30, and sending that kind of message to the rest of the world??

Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 PM

860 posts, read 2,717,068 times
I would say when you LOOK over 40 would be the very outside . Some women like J LO , Halle push that number a long time. I think most caucasian women even toned and tan have tummy skin that looks softish at a certain age. I think legs and cleavage can get more air time than tummy. Its a really young look.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
I think a lot of it depends on the outfit as well. There are a lot of cute vintage two piece jumpers that show the midriff, and I think high waisted shorts with a vintage print halter can look cute as well. Low rise jeans and a bandeau top? Not all that attractive.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But being 20, that can be a fashion statement among the youth culture.

Over 30, and sending that kind of message to the rest of the world??

She looks 20 to me!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh good grief. Go get a burka if you're that afraid of someone other than your husband seeing your skin.
Just some of my skin... I'm OK with arms and legs, etc... but showing the tummy seems trashy to me unless you're at the beach.

This comment reminded me of photos I saw of Nigella Lawson - in burka on the beach... they were pretty funny. She's so glamorous and beautiful most of the time, but these beach photos were awful! Love her, though... and I love even more the paradoy's people have done of her show:

Ronni Ancona As Nigella - YouTube

Ronni Ancona As Nigella - YouTube

Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Bikinis and workout gear have their place, and a fit woman can look great with a bared stomach into her 40s or even older. Or maybe at a club or when wearing a costume.

For regular clothes, though, I don't know ... 22 or so? For me, it's like when I see women in their 30s and 40s wearing Victoria's Secret PINK sweatshirts or sweatpants with words on the butt. I think, "Are you wearing your daughter's clothes?"

You have a great stomach, Amanda, so wear whatever you like. At least you have the body to fit into that stuff!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
For regular clothes, though, I don't know ... 22 or so? For me, it's like when I see women in their 30s and 40s wearing Victoria's Secret PINK sweatshirts or sweatpants with words on the butt. I think, "Are you wearing your daughter's clothes?"
My Aussie friend calls this look "mutton dressed as lamb," which is a phrase I love a lot. It's also how I feel about women outside of their 20s baring midriffs. Wear age-appropriate sexy clothing, and leave the skin baring to the young-uns.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-20-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 12:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
I'm 34, look very young, and still have a nice toned body. I hate to dress like a college girl, though, especially since we live in a college town. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a strange in-between stage. I think it's sometimes hard to find age-appropriate clothes for women my age, especially women my age who look younger like I do. When I go to Macy's or Nordstrom's and try on outfits that I think are more age appropriate, I feel so stuffy and blah. It's tricky.

I do a lot of clothes shopping at places like J.Jill and Sahalie. I recently bought some things from the Sundance Catalog.

I used to do a lot of thrift store shopping, but the past few years I really haven't. Somehow they started to gross me out.

Anyway... What makes me feel like a total hipocrite here is that while I would never show my belly in public unless I was at the beach (I don't even show it working out)... I have no problem with wearing a blouse that shows a bit of my upper back below my neck or that really beautiful area around a woman's collar bone or sternum area, though pulling that off is often tricky for me because I have sort of large breasts and I don't like to shove my girls in everyone's faces, either. Anyway - I have no idea why one feels OK to me while the other doesn't. Strange.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,145,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Bikinis and workout gear have their place, and a fit woman can look great with a bared stomach into her 40s or even older. Or maybe at a club or when wearing a costume.

You have a great stomach, Amanda, so wear whatever you like. At least you have the body to fit into that stuff!
I appreciate the compliment And yes, I do plan on continuing to wear midriff shirts for as long as I can. But I was curious to know if there was a consensus among everyone here as to when someone should stop with this type of fashion.

Personally...I think if someone keeps themselves in shape, AND can pull off the look, then there's nothing wrong with it. It doesn't matter if they're 20 or 50 (as long as it's not vulgar or in bad taste...like they're half-naked in public or anything).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty