Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:41 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Its unattractive for any age, regardless of how fit someone is. IMO, just not a good look.

I have to agree ... J-Lo has a kick'n body, but her new FIAT commercial ... Common now, how old is this, "woman" ?! Mid-driff and short-shorts ...

Same with Gwyneth Paltrow at the Emmys - she had on a mid-driff dress and my first thoughts were, "worst dress" ... it's just not a classy, polished, and mature look ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,602,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I wouldn't say anyone is necessarily "too old", I just think it's a matter of "class". I don't want to see anyone's midriff, truly, unless I'm at the beach/gym (and that's usually questionable). When I see a woman over 30 dressing so immature, they scream desperate. I'm not sure what kind of men they think they'll attract with that look...
I think you summed it up pretty well.

Here is a funny slideshow link of half shirt nightmares, lol, most of them are men

The Half Of It: Half-Shirt Nightmares! - Photos - WDIV Detroit

Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
J Lo & Halle Berry not only have kickin' bods and are stunningly beautiful, they're also "entertainers." They get a little leeway in my book.

But for the average (even hot and in shape) woman, I'd say once you hit your mid to late 20s, crop tops are a no-no except as workout gear or two- pieces on the beach. As another poster mentioned, they seem to make a woman look desperate for attention.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
I know, right? Just because a supermodel on a catwalk can wear something, or a diva on a stage can wear something, or even a Disney drama-queen can wear something - doesn't mean average normal everyday non-entertainer type women should wear those same things.

Some people think they can, and should, though. lol

Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Baring your midriff- how old is TOO old?
I dont think there is an age limit on baring your stomach. I think anyone of almost any age could do it as long as it looks GOOD.

A 20 year old post-pregnancy stretched out flabby skin? NO WAY.
A 50 year old pilates/yoga practitioner who is in great shape? YES.

It all just depends on how you look.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I don't know exactly what the cut off age is, but I personally have not worn a midriff baring shirt since my early 20s. I wore a halloween costume in my early 30s that showed my stomach, but that's about it.

I'm 40 right now and I definitely have the figure to wear it, but I just think it looks trashy at this age. I have no problem wearing a bikini to the beach, that is an appropriate place to show my stomach. I work out six days a week and eat clean, so I work very hard at staying in shape. I do like to dress sexy now and then, yet classy, no midriff shirts and I like my skirt just above my knee, no shorter. I want to dress like I'm 40, not 20.

And BTW, I don't care what everyone else is wearing, I only care how I present myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
J Lo & Halle Berry not only have kickin' bods and are stunningly beautiful, they're also "entertainers." They get a little leeway in my book.

But for the average (even hot and in shape) woman, I'd say once you hit your mid to late 20s, crop tops are a no-no except as workout gear or two- pieces on the beach. As another poster mentioned, they seem to make a woman look desperate for attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I have to agree ... J-Lo has a kick'n body, but her new FIAT commercial ... Common now, how old is this, "woman" ?! Mid-driff and short-shorts ...

Same with Gwyneth Paltrow at the Emmys - she had on a mid-driff dress and my first thoughts were, "worst dress" ... it's just not a classy, polished, and mature look ...

I think these answers pretty much cover it...from 3 of the classier chicas on the forums.

I would say under is ok depending on the venue and if you've got the body for it, but really, it's most appropriate at the beach or maybe "some" nightclubs.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Meh. I think it rarely looks appropriate, no matter what shape you are in. (The beach, sure. The gym? Maybe.) If you are over 30, any club where a bare midriff is appropriate is probably one you are too old for.

I'd say, instead of showing off your tummy, try something back-baring. Way more appropriate for more occasions and even sexier.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Once you are over 30.........well..........face it.............the looks are gone..........cover that nasty body up.

Wow, I was always pretty homely looking...........as I have gotten older..............YIKES.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:34 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Once you are over 30.........well..........face it.............the looks are gone..........cover that nasty body up.

Wow, I was always pretty homely looking...........as I have gotten older..............YIKES.
There are lots of women who are over 30 and who are in great shape. Some have kids and STILL have rockin bods and show their midriffs.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
There are lots of women who are over 30 and who are in great shape. Some have kids and STILL have rockin bods and show their midriffs.

Haha, I stand by my post. Once you are 30........well, grow up......you are already pretty uggo.

Compare a hot 18 year old girl to a 30 year old cougar..........yikes, not even close.

Be like me, admit it, you are old and frightening.....cover up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty