Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One of my least favorite trends is muffin top from too small pants. 90% of women can avoid muffin top by going up a size and/or picking a better rise for their pants (lower or higher depending on shape)

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
I'm one of the 10% that has a muffin top even when I'm wearing baggy pants For some reason I accumulate fat reallllly easily on the tops of my hips and almost nowhere else. Stupid body fat distribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Quote:
Where do you live, OP, that you see so many women with fake nails, painted nails, too-bold lipstick (or any lipstick), and gladiator shoes?
I live in the suburban DC area, and go back home to Philly often.

Try and grocery store or discount retail store. I marvel at all the cashiers I see with dragon lady nails, or nails with some crazy three-colored design --and a crystal on the nails. No one in my social circle has nails or make up like that, but I SEE IT quite often.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I live in the suburban DC area, and go back home to Philly often.

Try and grocery store or discount retail store. I marvel at all the cashiers I see with dragon lady nails, or nails with some crazy three-colored design --and a crystal on the nails. No one in my social circle has nails or make up like that, but I SEE IT quite often.
eww,
not a fan of this look at all.
I do get my nails done regularly. shaped, trimmed and painted... neutral or darker tones.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm one of the 10% that has a muffin top even when I'm wearing baggy pants For some reason I accumulate fat reallllly easily on the tops of my hips and almost nowhere else. Stupid body fat distribution.
Are you one of those high hipped people? It is one of the pesky drawbacks. I have this problem bit my torso is short so "low rise" equals normal rise for me so it works itself out.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 AM

87 posts, read 134,655 times
that was interesting..

Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Are you one of those high hipped people? It is one of the pesky drawbacks. I have this problem bit my torso is short so "low rise" equals normal rise for me so it works itself out.

I have a very pronounced V shape with my hips...so much so that my doctors have mentioned it on several occasions because I may have to get my right hip replaced in the next few years so they're trying to plan ahead. I also have a very 'deep' skeleton so my ribs and hips are just deeper than a normal persons should be. It explained having a 36" bra band even when I was 120 lbs I always get jealous when I see pictures of 'models' because their skeletons are so narrow and graceful. I feel like a linebacker sometimes.

When I wear lowrise jeans, the tops are a good 6" from my bellybutton and high rise jeans never fit me right. Lately I've been in nothing but leggings and short dresses which is perfectly fine by me.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have a very pronounced V shape with my hips...so much so that my doctors have mentioned it on several occasions because I may have to get my right hip replaced in the next few years so they're trying to plan ahead. I also have a very 'deep' skeleton so my ribs and hips are just deeper than a normal persons should be. It explained having a 36" bra band even when I was 120 lbs I always get jealous when I see pictures of 'models' because their skeletons are so narrow and graceful. I feel like a linebacker sometimes.

When I wear lowrise jeans, the tops are a good 6" from my bellybutton and high rise jeans never fit me right. Lately I've been in nothing but leggings and short dresses which is perfectly fine by me.
Interesting. JJ this means you are a special snowflake.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am not a fashion expert but these are the forms of fashion I find the most unattractive:

1. Fake Nails - I have never understood the logic behind wearing these because it is very apparent that the nails are fake. And when that conclusion is drawn, the first question that comes to mind is why would said woman want to hide her nails? I think it is an effort to be overly decadent and you don't necessarily have to be a strict practitioner of the natural look to realize that.
2. Generic brands like Hollister, A & F, etc. come of as tacky and it is especially displeasing to see a group of young women dressed in the same few brands. It suppresses individuality in my opinion.
3. Painted nails. I'm sure others have different opinions on this but I think it looks childish.
4. Those excessive gladiator type shoes that seem to wind all the way up to the ankle. The way I look at is that we don't live in an ancient Spartan society anymore so why make the effort?
5. Lipstick that is a bit too bold and draws attention away from other facial features.

Etc.
I wanted to hop in with another opinion since I think this is a brilliant post. Note, this reply is to the original post not the discussion within the thread.
1. Ewww. I can't stand these either.
2. I don't care for it either, but I also don't really notice it.
3. I'm in the opposite camp on this one. I LOVE painted nails. I've seen some women make it look very tacky, but most can do it well and some very well. When it is done right it says to me, "I put an effort into looking my best". I don't know how common this is for other guys, but for me, when my wife paints her nails I know she is planning to feel pretty, so I respond by letting her know and it usually leads to a romantic evening. I think if a woman in a steady relationship does this regularly it brings more meaning.
4. 100% agree. Those shoes look stupid.
5. I think I'd have to see the lipstick to know. I tend to find it very pretty.

Great post Rcsligar.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
Tattoos of any kind , anywhere -- ugly !!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting. JJ this means you are a special snowflake.
Nah, I'm just a weirdo

It's funny though, because this type of thread used to bum me out because 90% of who I am and what I do (clothes I wear, makeup I wear, the way I do my hair etc.) are nearly always on these lists of 'turn offs'.

Now, I'm HAPPY about that, because most of the time the people listing the turn offs are people I would never want to be with in the first place, so obviously I'm doing something right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty