Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am not a fashion expert but these are the forms of fashion I find the most unattractive:

1. Fake Nails - I have never understood the logic behind wearing these because it is very apparent that the nails are fake. And when that conclusion is drawn, the first question that comes to mind is why would said woman want to hide her nails? I think it is an effort to be overly decadent and you don't necessarily have to be a strict practitioner of the natural look to realize that.
2. Generic brands like Hollister, A & F, etc. come of as tacky and it is especially displeasing to see a group of young women dressed in the same few brands. It suppresses individuality in my opinion.
3. Painted nails. I'm sure others have different opinions on this but I think it looks childish.
4. Those excessive gladiator type shoes that seem to wind all the way up to the ankle. The way I look at is that we don't live in an ancient Spartan society anymore so why make the effort?
5. Lipstick that is a bit too bold and draws attention away from other facial features.

In my opinion, the minimalist look is the most attractive.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ml%3B435%3B579

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%3B1000%3B1000

Modern Minimalist Fashion

Etc.

I am a lady and below are the top 5 turnoffs:

A. Heels that are too high like the one below. You can tell it is too high because they can barely walk in them.

B. Fake hair that you can spot from miles away. To me, natural hair of any length or texture is beautiful.

C. Black nail polish. You cannot tell if it is nail polish or an actual nail condition. I have a co-worker who has a nail fungus and she tells me the reason she uses that color is to cover the fungi. When one chooses that color polish (or ANY very dark color ones), the dirt that can accumulate under the nails cannot be seen.

D. Tail hem dresses (or skirts) like the one below.

E. Mini skirts worn by the 30-year-old (and above) crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Too much make up, dressing like a hooker (too short a skirt and everything hanging out on top), fake boobs, bleached blonde hair where the roots are dark, fingernails like Edward Scissorhands.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,976 times
As to point 2, about the generic brands, most males I know wouldn't really be able to differentiate in most cases.

Do you shop in those stores frequently so that you have the lines memorized?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
As to point 2, about the generic brands, most males I know wouldn't really be able to differentiate in most cases.

Do you shop in those stores frequently so that you have the lines memorized?
You don't have to be an avid shopper to realize that a fair amount of women dress the same when it comes to those mainstream brands. The "look" is very simple and can be spotted from a mile away. Women who are more sophisticated dressers and wear a variety of brands that are off the grid I wouldn't be able to pinpoint. I think it all comes down to how refined said woman's taste is.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HAHAHA! South Florida! Well, no wonder! Try taking a vacation to the West Coast. Northern California (Bay Area) or Seattle or Portland. A very different planet from South FL, I guarantee you.
I am aware of this which is why I am getting the hell out of dodge and going to seattle for college.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I'm not surprised fake nails made the list. I guess to me it's pointless since people usually know they're fake and most look absolutely ridiculous. I'm surprised that loud clappy heels didn't make the list really. Even as another woman, that's up there for most annoying sounds in the world.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
I'm surprised nail polish made the list and that its considered a childish thing to do, I worked for a tween girls clothing store and a lot of mothers were strict about their daughters using nail polish.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM

17,393 posts, read 16,540,182 times
I don't like fake nails. I don't care if another woman wants to wear them - her choice. But I don't want to wreck my own natural nails by gluing fake acrylic ones onto them.

Nail polish wise, I really like a shade like Opi Bubble bath. It makes your nails look healthy, polished but light so that chips don't show. And it goes with every outfit...

Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
I don't care for heavy eye make up . It seems that lately - within the past couple of weeks lately - the females on the morining network shows are totally overdoing it. ie Savannah Guthrie looked like a racoon the other day and the same with Kathie Lee Gifford. What are they thinking?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I don't care for heavy eye make up . It seems that lately - within the past couple of weeks lately - the females on the morining network shows are totally overdoing it. ie Savannah Guthrie looked like a racoon the other day and the same with Kathie Lee Gifford. What are they thinking?
Hahahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty