Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 PM

538 posts, read 5,350,447 times

Advertisements

sarah palin pics - Bing Images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
How about for those who are naturally tan. Will we also suffer from the effects of melanoma. Should I be worried since my skin has a deep tan from the time I was born . There is nothing I can do to get fairer though I want to. I just spread on Fair & Handsome from India to act as sun block and hope for a lighter skin tone.
I get what you're saying. I'm only darker than my wife because I have Hungarian gypsy heritage (hence my screen name)... she, by contrast, is entirely of light-skinned European heritage. You ever look at pictures of Romani people these days and their skin is still naturally medium-brown. What I said about "a gorgeous tan" doesn't apply to a person's natural skin color whatever it may be... it applies to "a tan", which is the common shortening of "a suntan". Nobody ever got melanoma simply from having naturally dark-colored skin, to the best of my knowledge.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:44 PM

538 posts, read 5,350,447 times

SUZZANA HOFFS - Bing Images

Still lookin' F-I-N-E girls...

Sign me up ANYTIME!!

Old 12-13-2013, 01:42 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
What's your opinion of a gorgeous tan on a woman's body.

I will be frank. I am not a huge tan lover, and women with smooth snow white skin usually appeals me more (hope people are not offended by this statement.
If it's anything like "tan mom" then no. Just google "tan mom". It will make you sick.
A natural or light tan is fine.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:02 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
This is my perception of a beautiful skin tone, though it might most probably be Photoshopped. Regardless, it gives you a good idea of what I like. A healthy mix of pale with a light tinge of tan:

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/med.../image1xxl.jpg

Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
So, you should avoid exposure to sunlight and forget about natures source of vitamin D . Why ? I am just suggesting people to try out doing some physical activity outside on a warm sunny day like hiking, biking, or swimming. Many people here develop a tan from those activities alone in sunlight. I am yet to hear a woman who got severely impacted by cancer due to biking outside on a warm & breezy summer evening.

Don't overdo it by sitting outside and basking in sunlight, but spending a few hours outside when its sunny doing some activity and then developing a tan is always OK.
I spend quite a bit of time outside, and I grew up near the beach in CA....still no tan. During the summer I go hiking, biking, swimming, I play basketball here and there and love just wandering around. Again, still no tan. My aunt was one of those 'sun kissed' women who didn't actively tan, but did activities outside and she ended up with melanoma in her 40s, so no thanks to that. Tanned skin is damaged skin, no matter how 'sun kissed' it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I get what you're saying. I'm only darker than my wife because I have Hungarian gypsy heritage (hence my screen name)... she, by contrast, is entirely of light-skinned European heritage. You ever look at pictures of Romani people these days and their skin is still naturally medium-brown. What I said about "a gorgeous tan" doesn't apply to a person's natural skin color whatever it may be... it applies to "a tan", which is the common shortening of "a suntan". Nobody ever got melanoma simply from having naturally dark-colored skin, to the best of my knowledge.

Exactly! Having naturally darker skin doesn't mean it's tanned...it just means you naturally have a darker shade of skin.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:00 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I spend quite a bit of time outside, and I grew up near the beach in CA....still no tan. During the summer I go hiking, biking, swimming, I play basketball here and there and love just wandering around. Again, still no tan. My aunt was one of those 'sun kissed' women who didn't actively tan, but did activities outside and she ended up with melanoma in her 40s, so no thanks to that. Tanned skin is damaged skin, no matter how 'sun kissed' it looks.
The thing is, I know SEVERAL people who have had melanoma who were not "tanners" at all, nor did they spend much if any time in the sun. People believe it's the sun that causes it, but it's really not.

At the end of the day everyone should do what they are comfortable with. I love being outside and don't wear sunscreen and I always just maintain a light to medium tan. My skin is healthy, well-hydrated, I don't smoke or do any drugs, and I eat a very healthy diet with a lot of seafood.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
I've never been a sun bunny, the body requires only 15 min of full exposures daily to receive vitamin D...At 50 I'm happy I listen to my mother, don't sunbath, stay out tanning booths...

Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I've never been a sun bunny, the body requires only 15 min of full exposures daily to receive vitamin D...At 50 I'm happy I listen to my mother, don't sunbath, stay out tanning booths...
In most places in the United States, in the winter it is impossible to get sufficient exposure outdoors. That's why many people suffer from low vitamin d symptoms during the winter months. In addition to this, 95 percent of the adult population is clinically deficient in Vitamin D. How many people do you know personally who spend 15-20 minutes outside (in the middle of the day) every single day? I don't know any personally. Most people work indoors and are indoors all day. They might try to "make up for it" on weekends, but that is the worst thing you can do. Supplements are better than nothing, but considering that 15 minutes of full sun exposure produces 15,000 - 20,000 IU of Vitamin D, most people do not take enough supplements to make a difference. Plus you have to consume calcium along with Vitamin D to make it effective.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
In most places in the United States, in the winter it is impossible to get sufficient exposure outdoors.
Places south of the Kentucky-Tennessee line have very mild and pleasant winters. Why would you NOT want to go out under those conditions.

I just walked 2 miles in 20-30 F weather these past few days to forcibly improve my cold tolerance limits and soaked up sunlight .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 12-13-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty