Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

As far as make up, it can be changed to fit the situation: Dramatic for special occasions, a trace or none for day-to-day. Note that change is good, but only if it can continue to change/change back.
I'm not sure I understand. What does the above have to do with appreciating what god or nature has given you instead of "smearing it"? Certainly make-up would seem to fit that bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Older generations are used to looking at long term ramifications of what people do, and are just sharing those thoughts.
I don't think this pro/anti tattoo thing is age based. I don't think im an older generation (33) and I don't like tattoos. but I think plenty of older people do.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Agree with this.

If you have something in mind, go ahead. For many people its meaningful or symbolic. Not something you shop for to be trendy/edgy...or mainstream.
I agree with this 100 percent.
I'm female and have several tattoos, but they are all easily hidden. I am 55. Each one has a very personal meaning to me and I don't regret a single one. However, I imagine that had I gotten a dumb tribal tat, or something similarly stupid, I'd regret the heck out of it now.

I also agree that if you have to ask random strangers online, you are not ready to make a smart decision.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:44 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
While I know some of you do not think tattoos are the best idea, I see no reason for you to degrade people who have them. I have them and I am not trashy nor are my tattoos. I am not low class. I do not have hepatitis. I know physicians with tattoos as well as other very white collar professionals.

I have nothing against anyone here, but I think it is very judgmental of those looking down their noses upon people with tattoos and speaks volumes about who you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed

I try to avoid threads like this because as a fairly heavily tattooed person I try to keep things as positive as possible.

Regardless, to the OP I say spend some time talking to some artists, looking at portfolios and really delving into the imagery that you enjoy and can see on your body for life. A good artist will be able to draw something incredibly unique for you that you both can be proud of. All of my tattoos are original pieces of art that were drawn specifically for me and I wouldn't have it any other way.
The dissenters always crack me up. I rarely face such vehemence about body art in my daily life, and I've lived all over. It's surprising, really. It's downright erroneous to make baseless assumptions about another based on their appearance alone.

OP, that design isn't my cup of tea. I prefer custom work that holds a lot of meaning.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:02 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha. So glad you know everything about us, but your comments are more desperate than any tattoo could ever be. I'm a 37 year-old professional woman, with TWO college degrees (BA & Master's), and plenty of other interesting things about me... including the fact that I play eight musical instruments, collect & breed exotic snakes, speak three languages, and have bright red (natural) hair. If my mostly HIDDEN tattoos are the only thing that makes me interesting to you, I'd say you aren't looking very hard. But thanks for the useless and judgmental opinion, regardless.
It makes sense when the dissenting opinions are from folks who live in more conservative areas. I have about two dozen tattoos, many of which are visible. In my chosen field it is not an issue, nor is it an issue where I live (So Cal). I've received nothing but compliments about my tattoos, and I've certainly not run into dating "problems" at all. I actually laugh at such notion. Actually, the majority of men I have dated or been involved with do not have tattoos. Most were/are seemingly straight-laced professionals.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
No tattoo looks good and they only get worse with age.
I have a VERY old tattoo on my forearm. The colors have faded. If there is one you like in a solid dark color that would be my choice.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I've been wondering what one of those people who are compelled to tattoo their entire body do when there is no more room?

Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It makes sense when the dissenting opinions are from folks who live in more conservative areas. I have about two dozen tattoos, many of which are visible. In my chosen field it is not an issue, nor is it an issue where I live (So Cal). I've received nothing but compliments about my tattoos, and I've certainly not run into dating "problems" at all. I actually laugh at such notion. Actually, the majority of men I have dated or been involved with do not have tattoos. Most were/are seemingly straight-laced professionals.
My boyfriend now is a conservative, straight-laced business consultant who has an MBA and has never had a piercing or tattoo. I guess opposites do attract

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been wondering what one of those people who are compelled to tattoo their entire body do when there is no more room?
Well..they stop getting tattoos. With that much ink they're going to have quite a bit of upkeep and touching up to do, and they can add detail to other tattoos as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty