Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

i think if someone is going to be a fan of a sports team, they should choose whichever team they think is going to win. less opportunity for disappointment that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Go Patriots.

Minutemen, shoot em ponies down . Time to show whose boss.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because they are fundamentally both shallow and insecure, an incredibly unattractive combination.
One of the best answers.
Basically, it is hard (for me at least) to like anyone online who has this incredible need for attention and validation on their looks from strangers in such a one-dimensional space as an online forum.

Quote:
Because there are only two reasons a person ever makes a thread like that:

a) profound self-centeredness and lack of self-awareness

b) profound insecurity and lack of self-awareness

Self-centeredness and insecurity are two of the ugliest traits a person can have, but lack of self-awareness is the worst of them all. I'd also venture to say that some combination of those three traits make up the posters who feel the need to create a bajillion threads.

Also, when a poll is included, the options are always framed a certain way that make it impossible to answer without being too generous in the rating or coming off like an a**hole.
The other best answer.

And, as mammals, we are pack animals. Like dogs, wolves, rats, etc. If someone in the group displays weak and undesirable behaviour, we - as a species - tend to attack weak and undesirable pack members because they are not contributing useful or supportive behaviour to the group. Prancing about online asking for opinions on a photograph that may or may not be of the person is incredibly, incredibly narcissistic and self-serving.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:03 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
I hope this thread serves as a detterance for those who attempt to post images of themselves and create a "rate my looks" thread.

I learned the harsh consequences of doing so, and don't want others to suffer the same fate. These threads hurt both sides and are best if not created in the first place.

Commiting a mistake and learning a lesson compels me to change and advise others never to try such idiotic things.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I hope this thread serves as a detterance for those who attempt to post images of themselves and create a "rate my looks" thread.

I learned the harsh consequences of doing so, and don't want others to suffer the same fate. These threads hurt both sides and are best if not created in the first place.

Commiting a mistake and learning a lesson compels me to change and advise others never to try such idiotic things.
i didnt notice you make a rate my looks thread.

i think its a lot of fun, i encourage everyone to do it. except me, how i look isnt important. im married with a child and one on the way. i judge my looks by the attractiveness of my wife.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Every Sunday night baby. And now with playoffs running hot, I am pumped. Me and my brother already have bets ready. He is a colts fan, and I am a Pats fan. Saturday night at 8:10 PM the war begins in my living room .

i can only name the handful of guys in football that you hear about randomly. manning, brady, im sure i can name a couple of others if you give me time. i have no clue whats going on in any sport except i watch some mma. so you are more manly than me. the only person who ever makes a joke is my dad. he has offered me super bowl tickets that i turned down (i remember in college i turned him down and the most recent giants one he didnt even ask me). he stopped asking me to go to games, he got the psl's.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:00 PM

38 posts, read 43,137 times
I just don't understand why anyone would WANT another person to rate their looks. My own boyfriend offered up as consolation to my "acting like I thought I was only a 2" by saying I was a 4 or 5 or maybe even 6 to some people, he didn't know. Did his "increased rating" make me feel better? Not at all, it was still a rating; a concrete evaluation of me as nothing but an aesthetic object to the opposite sex - not as a person. And what am I to him? He didn't offer up his personal opinion on the matter, preferring to state the number for "the average man". But if he'd stroked my ego and called me a higher number, I would have known he was lying and pandering to my girlish desire to be beautiful.

Every person I see in rate me threads is usually hot, with the typical Facebook avatar mirror shot or coy shot from the flattering angle, and it's just annoying to me. I don't put numbers on people because it's crass and rude...so to ask people to be crass and rude is just a silly concept to me.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,595 times
I posted a thread on here when I first started asking people to rate me. It soon turned into a lot of mean comments and I really didn't understand why so I get where the OP is coming from.

So, personally speaking, I was genuinely interested in how others perceived me on a physical level. The nature of the internet being anonymous made me feel comfortable in asking the question and posting a few pictures. I was not looking for re-assurance or comments to feed my ego (far from it tbh). It stemmed more from insecurity, but I simply learned to be more comfortable with myself since confidence is a big key.

Also, responding to a comment above, I think it's pretty ridiculous to say "insecurity is one of the ugliest traits you can have." Insecurity can be caused by so many different factors and can be mentally taxing on a day to day level. Associating insecurity with such negativity leads to a vicious cycle and it's sad to see such a lack of compassion on this website from "educated" posters.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
BE HONEST: Why are "Rate my looks" threads hated (rant) !!!!
For me it just seems to take attention whoring to a whole new level.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,725 times
"Rate my looks!" Threads don't really bother me. What kind of bothers me about them is when the OP hints at his/her opinion before others get a give theirs, which steers the opinions in the whole thread. For example, I can't stand statements such as "am I too fat to wear this?" or "do I look too masculine/feminine?" As for the responses being honest, I'm not worried about that, because the few times I've responded I have been truthful. The OP wants to know the truth, I assume.

BTW, not just with "Rate my looks!" but also with other threads that have to do with opinions of others appearances (sorry, too wordy!), it irks me when only certain people are invited to leave their opinions. For example when the OP is a 25-year old male and states that he is not interested in what a 50-year old woman thinks is attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty