Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times

Advertisements

I don't know about body washes - never paid them attention. Yeah, true, deodorants might be worse, though they're at least as practical as makeup and likely are used on less skin (area). Some shampoos might be pretty bad, but most aren't.

Allergies aren't as easy to detect as most people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't know about body washes - never paid them attention. Yeah, true, deodorants might be worse, though they're at least as practical as makeup and likely are used on less skin (area). Some shampoos might be pretty bad, but most aren't.

Allergies aren't as easy to detect as most people think.
Well I would hope that if someone had a bad reaction to a product they would be smart enough to avoid using it again. It's not that complicated. Allergies are very easy to detect if someone is paying attention.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
"To enhance features and diminish flaws" - that's close to splitting hairs, because much of that is how other people would judge those flaws. As in women not getting positive male attention. That is the main gripe of us men re makeup - being set up for later disappointment. Might as well truly fix things where possible (often nose and lips). It prevents unpleasant experiences and is liberating.

Dude... most women are not geniuses when it comes to applying makeup. This is everyday stuff like concealer to keep your eyes bright or minimize a blemish (that will be gone in a few days anyway), plus a hint of powder maybe to keep the skin tone looking even and maybe a touch of lip gloss or an eyebrow pencil to keep the face looking neat.

If you see a chick that's made up like crazy, and you cannot tell she's covered in makeup, then what does that say about the man who is looking at her? He should expect she might look different after she's been hosed down. If that's what you mean by "set up for disappointment" perhaps men should be looking at women trying to figure out just how much makeup they are wearing and aim for the ones who are wearing less of it.

I don't look dramatically different with or without makeup except maybe in photos... even then it's just going to be an issue around even skin tone/no dark circles, etc.

But, that's because cameras tend to maximize flaws. People don't see other people the way that cameras do. That's why there's that thing known as "stage makeup."

Old 02-08-2014, 05:00 PM

I get the impression that women are improving at makeup application, thanks to improvements in both makeup (e.g., medical grade) and technique, the latter as popularized by YouTube, with much of that driven by HDTV. Hence, rarely do I see clownish makeup. I've been thinking of a thread asking women to tell us how to spot the tricks, but I doubt many will want to give up their secrets.

(Here I expand upon an earlier point.) In addition to that, culturally things seem to be moving to haves and have-nots, including on a beauty level. Women who are at least marginally attractive try to be even more attractive; below-average women give up and do nothing. The problem is that, because men's preferences vary and so many women are only slightly attractive by objective standards, disappointment often results after the makeup and other trickery are removed.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Maybe it's regional but I just don't see many women walking around with too much makeup on. Maybe it's different where you live goodheathen.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Women are the ultimate illusionists. They wear make-up, dye their hair, use push-up bra's, wigs and all sorts of other tricks to create the illusion of an enhanced appearance. It's hard to know what they really look like. lol

Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 PM

First of all, it's usually hard to tell if a woman is wearing "too much makeup." There probably are regional variations in heavy makeup use. In parts of the city, at night, I'd likely encounter many women who are frauding.

I wonder if we can get most of the pro-makeup women here to agree that there should be an upper limit on how much makeup a woman uses, at least off-stage/off-screen.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
First of all, it's usually hard to tell if a woman is wearing "too much makeup." There probably are regional variations in heavy makeup use. In parts of the city, at night, I'd likely encounter many women who are frauding.

I wonder if we can get most of the pro-makeup women here to agree that there should be an upper limit on how much makeup a woman uses, at least off-stage/off-screen.
Or you could just get better at determining how much makeup a woman is wearing.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:

It's not hard to tell if a woman is wearing a lot of makeup. I would not agree that there should be an upper limit. People can wear what they want.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
That reminds me - some natural ingredients can cause allergic reactions.

Makeup gets lots of negativity about its health effects because it is not meant to boost or protect health and because it probably is more dangerous than any category of therapeutic skin products, except maybe topical steroids. That's why Dr. Oz and other media sources occasionally do stories about the dangers of makeup.
Pretty much anything can cause an allergic reaction. I'm severely allergic to the adhesive used in bandaids and surgical plastic tape...I break out in hives if it touches my skin. I'm also allergic to certain laundry detergents and will get a rash if I use the wrong one.

And since when has makeup been getting negativity about it's health effects? If you have a reaction, you switch brands/types. There are companies out there that make hypo allergenic and natural makeup that most people can wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Or you could just get better at determining how much makeup a woman is wearing.
Nahhhh, we all have to change the way we do things so that random men won't be 'disappointed' instead of them taking the time to actually get to know a woman and her habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty