Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 03:20 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times

Advertisements

You can't fathom that a man might be interested in a woman's workout routine? And even if he's NOT, that the question isn't inherently a rude one?

I can make a moral judgment if someone's entering into rude territory, yes. But a man ASKING me about my workout routine is not a problem for me, no matter what his intentions are. I'm not the type of person who automatically assumes the worst about anyone. I'm in charge of my own life, my responses, and my interactions. The moral values of others aren't my concern. I cannot direct how others conduct themselves, only how I respond.

Okay, I'm off to work out now! These shoulders aren't going to garner compliments by themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 03:29 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
You can't fathom that a man might be interested in a woman's workout routine? And even if he's NOT, that the question isn't inherently a rude one?

I can make a moral judgment if someone's entering into rude territory, yes. But a man ASKING me about my workout routine is not a problem for me, no matter what his intentions are. I'm not the type of person who automatically assumes the worst about anyone. I'm in charge of my own life, my responses, and my interactions. The moral values of others aren't my concern. I cannot direct how others conduct themselves, only how I respond.

Okay, I'm off to work out now! These shoulders aren't going to garner compliments by themselves!
I have worked hard building up my delts, I'd be THRILLED if guys complimented me on my shoulders and asked about my routine! I see nothing wrong with asking about that.....

So, can shoulders be considered "wares?" LOL

Old 08-01-2015, 04:18 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If he is, great. If it's just a pick-up ploy,
I don't necessarily know the full extent of what you're implying by "just a pick-up ploy," but lots of single women don't mind being paid an honest compliment that might lead to something more.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
The bold is a tad disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't necessarily know the full extent of what you're implying by "just a pick-up ploy," but lots of single women don't mind being paid an honest compliment that might lead to something more.
It's sweet that y'all think that, but the truth is you really need to dig a little deeper. Your reactions are knee-jerk and a little naive.

Conventional wisdom: it is completely inappropriate to comment on the appearance of a stranger of the opposite sex.

Of course, most people want to be thought of as attractive. And most people like genuine, respectful compliments that are not sexually objectifying. But it's highly presumptuous of any person to think that a stranger even cares what you think of his/her shoulders or any other body part, and to pretend that it's just "an innocent compliment" when you really are trying to get somewhere is insulting.

Besides, the whole "something more" comment just proves my point.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:54 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The bold is a tad disturbing.

It's sweet that y'all think that, but the truth is you really need to dig a little deeper. Your reactions are knee-jerk and a little naive.

Conventional wisdom: it is completely inappropriate to comment on the appearance of a stranger of the opposite sex.

Of course, most people want to be thought of as attractive. And most people like genuine, respectful compliments that are not sexually objectifying. But it's highly presumptuous of any person to think that a stranger even cares what you think of his/her shoulders or any other body part, and to pretend that it's just "an innocent compliment" when you really are trying to get somewhere is insulting.

Besides, the whole "something more" comment just proves my point.
I think you must be writing from a different planet than earth.

"Oh, what a nice little dog you've got there!" Maybe it's just a fellow dog-lover who wants to find out more about that particular dog. Maybe it's also an opening comment, hoping to start a conversation with a fellow dog lover that will lead to friendship or a relationship. Men do it all the time and women accept it all the time.

A guy who notices that a woman has nicely sculpted delts probably has a bodybuilding interest to some extent. Deltoids are very hard for a woman to work, and she likely will be flattered that someone has noticed. There's nothing immoral going on even if the man has hopes that it might lead to more than a fleeting smile.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 PM

400 posts, read 414,409 times
But men are looking all over a woman with their peripheral vision. They are looking somewhere lower than the deltoids.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
No, those were not more revealing than these. And women are wearing this stuff even to office work.
Those aren't yoga pants. Those are tights.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
I think you must be writing from a different planet than earth.
Ah, yes, the old, "I don't understand, so I will just insult you ..." approach.

Quote:
"Oh, what a nice little dog you've got there!" Maybe it's just a fellow dog-lover who wants to find out more about that particular dog. Maybe it's also an opening comment, hoping to start a conversation with a fellow dog lover that will lead to friendship or a relationship. Men do it all the time and women accept it all the time.

A guy who notices that a woman has nicely sculpted delts probably has a bodybuilding interest to some extent. Deltoids are very hard for a woman to work, and she likely will be flattered that someone has noticed. There's nothing immoral going on even if the man has hopes that it might lead to more than a fleeting smile.
This is not even close to the same thing. You realize we are talking about a very specific issue with complimenting a stranger's BODY PARTS, not his/her possessions.

It is TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Get it now??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????

Old 08-01-2015, 08:37 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
The reason it's NOT disturbing, Wmsn4Life, is because HIS intentions have no bearing on my life. Like I said, I can't control what others do, only myself. So someone can have immoral intentions, but it won't affect me because I don't have to stick around and interact. Someone complimenting my shoulders doesn't mean I'm required to enter into a sexual liaison or even a casual conversation with them. It doesn't mean that I even have to acknowledge the compliment, if I don't feel like it. But the comment itself is not offensive to me.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I appreciate the critique , but being old my grammers already passed on long ago.
I understand. And I appreciate your insight as well. And to the (hidden) person who perceived my suggestion as an insult, a thicker skin might help your discernment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty