Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:08 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times

Advertisements

You have already decided what you are going to wear. Not sure why you are asking for advice here other than you enjoy stirring the pot on a forum and refuting folk's comments just to stir it some more. The title of this thread shows your intent - to drum up a bit of thread drama. Why don't you go to Macy's or Beauty Brands and get a makeup lesson for the event instead of sitting around typing on CD?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:08 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
First impressions are lasting. It is a party at the boss's house. That *IS* a work related function.

Corporate Party Dressing 101: If you insist on dressing sexy - wear a dress with only ONE of the following features: tight or short or low cut or side slit or animal print. Do not combine any of these features. Do not combine any of these with ultra high heeled shoes.

You're welcome.

EDIT: What does your BF do for a living? Dressing trashy may be appropriate in some work circles.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:36 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Look, you keep sidestepping. You said 'revealing', so most of us are probably thinking side boobage, a split up to your crotch, or your backside hanging out of your backless dress, all of which would be inappropriate in pretty much all situations where your bf's boss would be there. Basically you're seeking validation for your decision to wear whatever you want, and making disparaging remarks about people who haven't been given any real information about what the heck you want to wear, other than it's 'revealing'. Which could mean about a hundred different things.
After being called bimbo so many times.......(& people not understanding formal gowns)....I gave up a couple of pages ago. People don’t listen...they are still calling it a work party & not thinking about how some of the other women may be dressed too. This is a personal party....hosted by his very good personal friend....that is also his oldest partner & I’m sure every woman at the party is not going in turtleneck formal dresses. It’s like people have never been at a formal party before...or know that skin on a formal dress is *normal*...check the stores....but they stupidly compare it to me wearing club wear every time & call me a bimbo....when they don’t read my posts or *try* to understand the type of party or what I’m asking & I’m so over the toxicity...the “dressing trashy” & bimbo stuff.....

I’ll continue with my friends or on my vlog....I need to make a decision or buy a new dress...ty anyways.....

Old 09-17-2019, 12:36 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, OP, you're the one that used the term "revealing". I can only imagine.

Don't be the one all the wives/girlfriends talk about in the car on the way home. You can look nice without hanging out all over the place. It's not about you, nor is it about your fashion sense, nor is it about getting in touch with your inner innerness or whatever. It's about your boyfriend's JOB.

Trust us old farts, a dinner party at the boss' house IS!!!! a business/work-related affair. Pick some other place to express yourself.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
After being called bimbo so many times.......(& people not understanding formal gowns)....I gave up a couple of pages ago. People don’t listen...they are still calling it a work party & not thinking about how some of the other women may be dressed too. This is a personal party....hosted by his very good personal friend....that is also his oldest partner & I’m sure every woman at the party is not going in turtleneck formal dresses. It’s like people have never been at a formal party before...or know that skin on a formal dress is *normal*...check the stores....but they stupidly compare it to me wearing club wear every time & call me a bimbo....when they don’t read my posts or *try* to understand the type of party or what I’m asking & I’m so over the toxicity...the “dressing trashy” & bimbo stuff.....

I’ll continue with my friends or on my vlog....I need to make a decision or buy a new dress...ty anyways.....
You're not reading carefully, either. No one has actually called you a bimbo--people were warning you that an inappropriate outfit can make the wrong impression.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:00 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:

People understand formal gowns just fine, you don't have the market cornered on that. People aren't understanding what you mean by revealing, because it can mean a lot of different things, and you aren't bothering to clarify. No one is suggesting a turtleneck formal or a granny dress, but yeah, if you won't, or can't, explain what you mean by revealing then most of us are going to imagine the worst.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why are you asking us if you don't want to hear any answers other than what you want to hear??
I’m wondering that myself.

Quote:

Oh stop. Just stop. YOU are the one who apparently has something in mind to wear that is “borderline tasteless” (in your mind). Otherwise you wouldn’t have asked the question. I’ve always enjoyed wearing figure flattering things and never once have had to ask if this is inappropriate—because I don’t go far enough over that line to even call it into question.

You refuse to post a picture of a style so how can anyone give you reasonable advice?

And for the record how YOU carry yourself DOES reflect on your boyfriend, so it’s best to proceed with care despite “expressing yourself” or whatever. A male friend of mind broke up with his girlfriend partially because he thought she dressed too revealingly at his dad’s funeral. (And he is the LAST person I would have ever expected to say that.)

Old 09-17-2019, 01:40 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Quote:

Who are the other guests at the party? Professional and personal social circles often overlap.

Is your BF a professional? If so, how you dress and act reflect upon him and his decision making skills.

I have been to many parties hosted by my husband's bosses and colleagues. We have hosted many parties. There is always a girl or two in the crowd who think dressing and/or acting overtly sexy is fine. It never is. These types of things can easily torpedo a professional's reputation. I have seen it happen.

FYI, getting drunk is not a good idea either.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM

24,578 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:

I really could not care less. You are a GF. Been there but your comments - gorgeous, .... who cares. You are a chick in the hen house at that event. All your posts say that you have been at a party or seen ... .

All this stupid and people have never been to a formal party before ... comes back to you. Not that you and BF are friends with anyone. If your BF cannot advise you about what to wear - who can? My go to used to be black western boots with an unknown price tag to the uninitiated, pencil pants, mock turtle sleeveless shirt and either plain hair and outrageous but real earrings or no hair and Afghan hair dress. Never got overlooked.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:56 PM

829 posts, read 629,647 times
Quote:
It’s not coworkers....this is silly......& nothing is going to happen so the Vegas thing is just dumb.....
If this is silly, then why ask? People are giving you the advice you seemed to be interested in. For what it's worth, if you have to ask, then it would appear you have doubts. I don't believe anyone is calling you a bimbo or saying you're going to wear club attire - I think they're simply trying to ensure the dress you're wondering if you should wear is appropriate for the setting and participants. You seem to be a very confident person in your appearance, style and opinion, so I'm confused why you asked - but suggest since you feel sure this is OK, then you should go with your gut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty