Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 11:50 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times

Advertisements

The Shinola Runwell series is a decent looking pilot watch for $500 with lots of strap options, but I still don't know that it quite gets the look you are going for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 12:21 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
IWC Mark XVIII Pilot, "Laureus Sport for Good" edition.
Man, that's a good looking watch. Nobody would have any idea you're wearing an expensive watch unless they happen to be familiar with IWC.

Is there a particular reason you're thinking of the charity watch instead of one of their regular pilot watches?

Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Do you tend to notice when a man is wearing an expensive "luxury" watch that costs thousands rather than hundreds? If so, does it lead you to formulate an impression of that person?

I'm especially interested in opinions on more subdued designs and normal-sized watches rather than large gaudy watches that are designed to attract attention.

(I have my eye on a watch that I find beautiful and would be proud to own, wear, and pass to my son some day, but do not want to draw attention to.)
The impression it makes may depend on whether I'm a thief/mugger who knows watches or not.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
Ouch. That one hurt. I'm wearing that Hammy right now. Not the black PVD version, but the classic brushed silver one.

Ever considered this Oris? To be fair, I think the IWC is nicer. But the price...
No offense intended on the Hamilton! In fact, it's a compliment if anything, since I've been hunting all over for watches that I like as much as the IWC and that's the closest I've found. Is it AS nice? No, but I still like my Volvo even though it isn't an Audi A7. No worries, you have a good-looking watch.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Man, that's a good looking watch. Nobody would have any idea you're wearing an expensive watch unless they happen to be familiar with IWC.

Is there a particular reason you're thinking of the charity watch instead of one of their regular pilot watches?
No, other than that I really like the black ceramic case and they don't typically make the Pilots in that finish. The charity part does take away some of the guilt of spending the dough though.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:59 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
how about this watch...……….

Talk about Bonanzaville! $345 Rolex that could be worth $700K is talk of 'Antiques Roadshow' in N.D. - StarTribune.com

Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
Ouch. That one hurt. I'm wearing that Hammy right now. Not the black PVD version, but the classic brushed silver one.

Ever considered this Oris? To be fair, I think the IWC is nicer. But the price...
Love Oris, my pick is https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-ar...51-set-8-23-79

Old 02-06-2020, 02:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Someone checking their watch is pretty noticeable to me and probably not a good sign on a date either.

I used to wear a watch when I had a job where many meetings in various parts of the building were involved and I didn't want to carry my phone with me the whole time. Making sure meetings were running on time as planned was important, but I didn't want to give off the impression that I was checking my phone constantly for messages.

Now I'm more stationary, with the time on my laptop, my landline phone, my cell phone, and on the wall clock, so I have no need to wear a watch anymore.

I like looking at expensive watches just out of curiosity, but would never waste money on one. I guess my initial impressions on seeing someone with an expensive watch would be wondering who this person was trying to impress and why. However, I'm not sure I could immediately spot the difference between an expensive watch and a normal one anyway

Ads for expensive watches are similar to those ads for expensive pens to me. I imagine all the important documents I would sign with my hand-crafted pen and all the letters I would send in ornate calligraphy..."My dearest Gwendolyn, I arrived by nightfall at the Embassy Suites. It will be a fortnight after my return that this letter will arrive."(Gaffigan)

Interesting, but not something I would purchase myself.
Maybe because I have good peripheral vision, I don’t have to look at my watch to look at my watch. At those interminable meetings, I would take notes in my notebook, and would hold the notebook down with my left hand so there was my watch. Take a drink with my left hand... oh look, my watch.

Since I retired, I don’t wear a watch much. And frankly, my preferences on watches are not what today’s women want in watches. Watches are statements. So watches are too big. And too blingy.

But I like a good pen. It doesn’t have to be expensive. The Paper Mate Inkjoy ballpoint pen is nicely weighted and easy to write with. For long note taking times it’s very easy to use.

And one of my favorite pens is a cheap giveaway. It’s a sueded silicone covered ball point pen in navy blue, with a stylus top that’s the retractor. Writes beautifully, refillable, most giveaway pens aren’t, and the stylus thingy works, buts easier to use a finger. When you own your own business, these embossing places send you free gifts to entice you to purchase these things to hand out. That never worked out for our business, we stayed really small. We didn’t need 2500 35 cent pens. My husband really liked it but I filched it from him because he never could hold onto a pen longer than a week.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I have a cheap but cool looking Pittsburgh steelers watch. I really don't care what anyone thinks.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Maybe because I have good peripheral vision, I don’t have to look at my watch to look at my watch. At those interminable meetings, I would take notes in my notebook, and would hold the notebook down with my left hand so there was my watch. Take a drink with my left hand... oh look, my watch.

Since I retired, I don’t wear a watch much. And frankly, my preferences on watches are not what today’s women want in watches. Watches are statements. So watches are too big. And too blingy.

But I like a good pen. It doesn’t have to be expensive. The Paper Mate Inkjoy ballpoint pen is nicely weighted and easy to write with. For long note taking times it’s very easy to use.

And one of my favorite pens is a cheap giveaway. It’s a sueded silicone covered ball point pen in navy blue, with a stylus top that’s the retractor. Writes beautifully, refillable, most giveaway pens aren’t, and the stylus thingy works, buts easier to use a finger. When you own your own business, these embossing places send you free gifts to entice you to purchase these things to hand out. That never worked out for our business, we stayed really small. We didn’t need 2500 35 cent pens. My husband really liked it but I filched it from him because he never could hold onto a pen longer than a week.
Solly is a cutie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty