Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'll tell ya...if I didn't like the color of my hair (white and silver) I'd color it in a hot minute. But I LIKE how it's grown out, and I'm not doing it to embrace my age...it's because I like what it looks like.
I've seen quite a few women with absolutely gorgeous white/silver hair, and they look beautiful with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 02:44 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
In April, it will have been 2 years since I colored my hair. I was 60.

I don't think I was trying to trick anyone into thinking I looked younger...it's just...I've been coloring my hair since I was 19 mostly. I had stopped for awhile, when my kids were in grade school, when I was in my 30's...but I was already SOOO gray (not white or silver yet) and I felt like I looked like my kids grandma, so I went back to coloring it.

I'm a natural brunette (had VERY dark hair) but the last 10 or 15 years, I'd been dying it various shades of red, including violet, and burgundy. My sister convinced me to let it grow out, so I did. But I always had the caveat that if I didn't like it, I'd start dying it again. Just turned out that I like it a lot.

If you go to my profile, you can kind of see what it looks like now. That picture was taken maybe a year ago.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:34 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:

If you go to my profile, you can kind of see what it looks like now. That picture was taken maybe a year ago.
It's beautiful, Sassy! You do NOT need to color your hair. Your sister gave you good advice.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

I don't think I was trying to trick anyone into thinking I looked younger...it's just...I've been coloring my hair since I was 19 mostly. I had stopped for awhile, when my kids were in grade school, when I was in my 30's...but I was already SOOO gray (not white or silver yet) and I felt like I looked like my kids grandma, so I went back to coloring it.

I'm a natural brunette (had VERY dark hair) but the last 10 or 15 years, I'd been dying it various shades of red, including violet, and burgundy. My sister convinced me to let it grow out, so I did. But I always had the caveat that if I didn't like it, I'd start dying it again. Just turned out that I like it a lot.

Your hair looks great with your coloring!

Old 02-16-2020, 07:02 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:

Your hair--and you--look wonderful. Look how your eyes are illuminated by being framed by your hair. Hope mine turn our half as nice as yours!

Old 02-18-2020, 07:26 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Gosh everyone...thanks!

Old 02-19-2020, 02:21 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I used henna on my longish hair for years, but decided I wanted more options (you can't remove henna, I've tried), so I cut it and kept it short until all the henna was gone.

Most of my gray is just to the right of top center, and I've been using temporary dye in teal and purple in a swath right there.

As it fades and grows out, I can see that section has turned nearly pure white, while most of my hair is still more or less the ash brown it has always been.

Those roots look like a bald spot. I keep telling myself just to let it go natural, but ugh!

Old 02-19-2020, 03:01 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
Quote:
Gosh everyone...thanks!

Add me to the "You look GREAT" group!

Your hair and eyes are gorgeous!

Old 02-19-2020, 06:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

Naturally, I'm dark blonde/light brown and about 50% gray (and it's getting grayer). I use curly-girl products (no parabens, sulfates, etc) and rarely use any heat on my hair. I allow my coarse and curly hair to dry naturally (with a styling product, right now it's a light weight gel) and it's never looked better. It's shiny and the color is, not surprisingly, perfect for my skin tone. I had no idea that I have pretty hair. I have spent years trying to curl, coax, force my hair into what I thought it was *supposed* to look like. I will never color again.
This! Removing heat from my routine has given me the healthiest hair I've ever had.

I condition it and put a shower cap on, do my chores around the house, rinse the non sulfate conditioner out and add more, shower, then rinse it out.

I also do no shampoo and no sulfates.

I wrap my damp hair in a bun and let it dry then that night I use memory foam curlers and the next morning I have gorgeous, soft, bouncy, shiny, sausage curls.

I still color!

Old 02-20-2020, 07:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
When I let my hair dry naturally, I look like a dang goober. My hair waves in the front, and not in a pretty way. I have naturally curly hair but it doesn't curl in spirals, it curls in crazy waves and cowlicks.

So I don't color anymore (and get compliments on the natural color all the time) but I can't break away from the flat iron. I told my husband, "I don't care how rich or how poor we are - when the flat iron dies, we buy another one THAT DAY - and they're at least $100." That and a coffee pot. I don't know how poor I'd have to be to go without either of those. I just hope they don't both die on the same day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty