Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
To the OP: You might want to check out "Female Chauvinist Pigs" by Ariel Levy. It's an excellent book that explores this very topic, and might be of interest to your wife and daughters as well.
Thanks, will check it out, my wife and I that is. No daughters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Children like to push the limits of what their parents will accept. However, if the child doesn't have a job then it's the parents that buy their children's clothing. Parents, if you don't like the clothes your child picks out then don't buy it. If she destroys the clothes to make herself look like a street hooker then throw it away. It's your money that bought the clothes and so it's your property. If the kid has a job and buys the clothes with her own money then your options are more limited. It's still your house and she's still a minor. As a father, my first response would be "not in my house you're not!". A better response would be to do something that would make her feel uncomfortable with the clothing she bought. Have mom or grandma wear such outfits in front of her or in front of her and her friends. You could ask her why she doesn't respect herself and her body to the point that she wishes to give away free samples (views) to anyone around including those with cameras who will post such photos online. At one store I actually saw thong underware for pre-teens and elementary school age children. I don't know which is worse; the fact that someone thought it was a good idea to make such a product or the fact that there may actually be a market for such products. Perhaps we're living in "The Lord of the Flies".

Old 11-08-2009, 09:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And what did it say about you when you went around town in your sweatpants?
It says he's modest and casual. It's not like he's wearing Lycra nut-hugger bike shorts.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,905,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Women also talk about what other women are wearing--describing it as "tacky" when it exposes too much. Well, that's the "nicest" way I've heard them describe it.
Some women do. I'm not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
And that speaks volumes about you, because no matter what you think, what people wear says EVERYTHING about a person.
Right scott, clearly we don't agree and you've decided a good deal of things about me based on what I've said. IT CAN'T BE because of what I wear because you can't see me. Just so you know I am judging you based on what you've said because I can't see what you're wearing today and again I'll repeat, I don't care! What you've said has given me a much bigger indication of WHO you are.

For the record there's more than a few ladies employed as call girls that can and do wear designer suits and shoes and clothes that cost more for one outfit than I'd spend in a year. What does it say about them? What does it say about me?????

There's blokes around here that get about in stubbies and work boots and bonds singlets that probably earn more in a year than all of us combined. What do you think that says about them exactly? OR about me?

There's a whole bunch of blokes dressed in Armani and $600 silk ties sitting at Wall Street or the ASX as I type working out new and interesting ways to alleviate working people of their retirement funds. What do their clothes say about them?

Those are just a few examples that I'm sure you'll dismiss in your pursuit of "truth".

Incidently, I'm just curious, Mariah appeared on Ellen why exactly? I'm sure it wasn't just to trot out an outfit for critique from the masses. Did you actually listen to what she had to say OR was all that eclipsed by her supposed fashion faux pas? Was she there for a fashion parade?

Oh and thanks for the compliment by the way. I'm more than pleased with myself that I will take people as I find them, judge them by their deeds and achievements, by the things they say, by who they are as individuals and NOT by the second hand pair of Manolo Blanicks they picked up in the recycle shop, or the dusty old work clothes, or their burkah OR their bikini.

Today it's over 30c here. I'm quite sure most of the population is exposing a good deal of their skin in order to keep cool. Young and old, fat and skinny, rich and poor. How trampy of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm completely in the other camp. I do think how someone presents themselves to others, speaks volumes. I always have, and I always will.
Yeah, I know. I'd have had to live in a cave to have missed your feelings on the matter.

Quote:
It says he's modest and casual. It's not like he's wearing Lycra nut-hugger bike shorts.
Modest being the ideal in your opinion and as defined by you?

Lycra nut-hugger bike shorts? Wouldn't that just say that a person has probably got their bike chained up somewhere nearby?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
good definition of hell is a traditional islamic mideastern family on an american coastal cruise with 16 year old mini skirt daughters with a boatload of hot sexy young men. chest pains chest pains chest pains, not to mention they are not supposed to dance with boys.
and in center ring mom and dad trying to control their daughters

Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 PM

It's not appealing. If you're out in public, you ought to be covered up. That's why we have clothes--a sense of modesty.

For example, I never wear shorts. No matter how hot it gets.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,905,675 times
Quote:
It's not appealing. If you're out in public, you ought to be covered up. That's why we have clothes--a sense of modesty.

Thank goodness the rest of us are not required by law to follow your narrow definition of what people should or should not wear.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 PM

888 posts, read 887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
I didnt say in the sense that short skirts 'cause rape', its just a sick world and unfortunately there are those sicko-s out there who think that when women wear skimpy clothing are almost inviting. Personally I like short skirts , just dont wear them hardly seldom.
The sad thing is, that rape victims are treated like the bad guy, and one of the first things the defense attorney will use as leverage is 'what were you wearing'.
I would bet that if a woman really looked good in shorts, she would wear them.

She would wear them, because any intelligent woman that knows rape statistics knows full well that she will have a very small chance of being raped. She has more of a chance of getting into a car wreck. Not only that, it is proven (like another poster said) that rape has nothing to do with the clothes someone wears.

Clothes don't cause rape - people cause rape (remember guns, folks?)

Women like attention, even if they never want to admit it (some of them feel cheap for craving attention, and they ignore the psychological reasons for that - kind of too lazy for soul searching).

Women just need a good excuse to justify why they don't feel comfortable wearing sexier clothes. The "creepy" man paranoia is perfect as it plays into the media and Hollywood stererotypes.

And let's face it - cellulite is a huge problem with older women - even women in their 20s and 30s have this problem. Believe me, if anyone wants the secret to getting rich, one just has to invent a simple cost-effective practical solution to get rid of cellulite. Women will be forever grateful and you'll make millions.

I wish I had some business partners who felt like me, so that we could form an anti-cellulite start-up company. We'll be rich.

Anyways, take care of that problem and you'll have a lot more confident women out there showing a little more skin.

I love women to death, so whatever I can do to help their confidence, I'm all for it.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 PM

888 posts, read 887,589 times
Quote:

Again... when a woman feels sexy and attractive, you can convince her to wear sexy clothes.

The number one reason why women cover themselves up is because they don't feel attractive.

The modesty argument is a good try, but it's way off-target.

When a woman is confident and feels attractive, pretty much anything she wears could theoretically be sexy - but she'll also have a diverse wardrobe, and she'll stick a few shorts in there. Maybe not all the time, but some of the time. It keeps things spicy. BTW, I don't care what age you are. I happen to think that over 40 women in great shape and have a fashion sesnse are totally sexy. But, I'm a total denim guy when it comes to women. It drives me nuts when she wears form fitting denim and boots - but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Thank goodness the rest of us are not required by law to follow your narrow definition of what people should or should not wear.
Even if you were, you'd try stretching the definition of "public decency".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty