Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times

Advertisements

People in sweatpants having opinions on fashion

Haa

Haa

and oh yeh

haa haa haa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
"Fashion" is idiotic. Clothes serve a purpose--to protect the sensibilities of the public at large.

We could just all go around naked, you know. It wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
I guess that would depend on the climate and company.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
People in sweatpants having opinions on fashion

Haa

Haa

and oh yeh

haa haa haa

I take that comment was directed towards me.......oddly enough, that's what I have on right now, along with my 2009 "Run Around the Square" shirt and my Adidas XC running shoes. GUESS WHAT? I went out in public like that and...........GASP..........walked in to the Comcast office looking like that, went to get my haircut looking like that and.......GASP.............ended up getting five new customers just by helping someone out with an issue, ALL WHILE DRESSED LIKE THAT. And then.......................I had lunch at swanky Make your Mark cafe in Point Breeze dressed like that......................CAN YOU BELIEVE THE AUDACITY OF ME TO DO SO?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Just like the title says, I'd like to know some of your thoughts and opinions on how women dress these days. My general feeling is that I am amazed on a daily basis on what I see (literally), particularly with younger women from early teens through mid twenties.
I live in the conservative Midwest. Most of the hip young women I see these days are wearing 80's inspired stuff: skinny colorful jeans, big slouchy sweaters, belted mini-dresses, leggings, pointy-toed boots and pumps.

I think they look adorable!!!

I have to add that I am an early Gen-Xer (so no, I won't be wearing those looks a second time ).

I just hope this next generation will leave the big big hair, and even bigger shoulder pads, alone. Never a good look.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
I take that comment was directed towards me.......oddly enough, that's what I have on right now, along with my 2009 "Run Around the Square" shirt and my Adidas XC running shoes. GUESS WHAT? I went out in public like that and...........GASP..........walked in to the Comcast office looking like that, went to get my haircut looking like that and.......GASP.............ended up getting five new customers just by helping someone out with an issue, ALL WHILE DRESSED LIKE THAT. And then.......................I had lunch at swanky Make your Mark cafe in Point Breeze dressed like that......................CAN YOU BELIEVE THE AUDACITY OF ME TO DO SO?
So, you're going to judge teenagers for dressing like teenagers at the mall, but you can't handle people commenting on your attire without getting all sarcastic and defensive?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So, you're going to judge teenagers for dressing like teenagers at the mall, but you can't handle people commenting on your attire without getting all sarcastic and defensive?

I don't think anything I've said has anything to do with judgement.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
My thoughts on what she was wearing...............I think she is a very attractive woman first of all, but I think the stockings and amount of cleavage she revealed cheapened her. I know and agree with whoever said that styles have changed and they reflect a new and free attitude with women. But this outfit really cheapened her.
So for you her value as a human being is tied up with how she looks? AND in your opinion her intrinsic value can be bought and sold, negated or applauded all depending on how you judge what she's wearing?
So she's not free to wear whatever she likes, she must conform to the narrow view of cheap or classy no matter what she's achieved? In other words you advocate that women are not really free?

Quote:
I don't have children, but as long as I had a child living in my home, they would never leave it looking like that. When they turn 18, they could dress as they want, but I'm sure they would have instilled in them by that time that the way you dress paints a specific picture of you no matter if it's right or wrong.
My apologies I thought you said earlier you had children.

One would hope that when you have them (and heaven forbid they are girls) you will teach them to value themselves and others for WHO they are, and what they achieve and not WHAT they wear. The only way they'll have the specific view that women are only objects whose value or lack there of is based soley and wholey on how they look is if that is what you teach them OR if you continue to support and condone the same from others by buying into the game. ONE would hope you would teach them to be strong, intelligent, compassionate and independant. NOT that regardless of what they achieve it will all get down to what they wear in the end.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
So for you her value as a human being is tied up with how she looks? AND in your opinion her intrinsic value can be bought and sold, negated or applauded all depending on how you judge what she's wearing?
So she's not free to wear whatever she likes, she must conform to the narrow view of cheap or classy no matter what she's achieved? In other words you advocate that women are not really free?

My apologies I thought you said earlier you had children.

One would hope that when you have them (and heaven forbid they are girls) you will teach them to value themselves and others for WHO they are, and what they achieve and not WHAT they wear. The only way they'll have the specific view that women are only objects whose value or lack there of is based soley and wholey on how they look is if that is what you teach them OR if you continue to support and condone the same from others by buying into the game. ONE would hope you would teach them to be strong, intelligent, compassionate and independant. NOT that regardless of what they achieve it will all get down to what they wear in the end.

Ohhhhhhhhhh no, you are not going to put words in my mouth.

I never once said people aren't free to wear what they want, nor did I say that someone can't be their own person. But the reality of this world is, if you dress to be noticed, whether it be sexy, slutty, Goth, red neck, white trash, professional, geeky, whatever, you're opening up yourself to judgement and opinion. What you wear and how you present yourself speaks volumes of who you are. So put some thought in how you dress.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhh no, you are not going to put words in my mouth.

I never once said people aren't free to wear what they want, nor did I say that someone can't be their own person. But the reality of this world is, if you dress to be noticed, whether it be sexy, slutty, Goth, red neck, white trash, professional, geeky, whatever, you're opening up yourself to judgement and opinion. What you wear and how you present yourself speaks volumes of who you are. So put some thought in how you dress.
As I said before scott, I'll dress how I like and I'm not much fussed if there are people sitting in judgement of me for that. Most of them can't see the woods for the trees anyway.

For instance I couldn't possibly know just from what you were wearing had I come across you comcast that you are perfectly willing to devalue human beings who don't fit your narrow definition of what is considered fashion.

Oh and for the record, I didn't put words in your mouth I asked questions. Questions you've chosen to ignore in preference to repeating your belief that how a person dresses indicates WHO they are. You're the one who used the term cheap.

I'd say what Mariah wore on Ellen has told us a whole lot more about you than it has ever indicated about Mariah but I'm sure you won't see it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty