Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
>>In your original post you posed the question for the ages of young teens to early 20's. Do you remember or understand what you type?? This is not rocket science. Common sense and the brain god gave us goes a long way. I don't know why a married 39 year old would need to discuss it with a fashion forum
I think it's being discussed in a fashion forum because it has to do with clothing selection - aka, fashion.

I'm pushing 50, have been happily married for 26 years, have 3 grown kids, and I notice this stuff.

I don't know that it's better or worse now than it was 20 years ago - or 30 years ago. It's different. And I'm not going to attach the issue of rape to how a woman is dressed or undressed, because those two issues are basically unconnected.

But let's be honest. The way some women (and yes, men) dress is gross and stupid. Why do some girls need to show the world their giant butt crack, or boob crack, or enormous "skin belt" between the top of their pants and blouse? Doesn't mean I want to grab on and go for a ride, but it just puzzles me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think it's being discussed in a fashion forum because it has to do with clothing selection - aka, fashion.

I'm pushing 50, have been happily married for 26 years, have 3 grown kids, and I notice this stuff.

I don't know that it's better or worse now than it was 20 years ago - or 30 years ago. It's different. And I'm not going to attach the issue of rape to how a woman is dressed or undressed, because those two issues are basically unconnected.

But let's be honest. The way some women (and yes, men) dress is gross and stupid. Why do some girls need to show the world their giant butt crack, or boob crack, or enormous "skin belt" between the top of their pants and blouse? Doesn't mean I want to grab on and go for a ride, but it just puzzles me.
OH MY GOD.....................................another, if only one, articulate, sensible human being understands.....thanks!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,839 times
OMG 2 dumbstruck middle aged men > and then there were the ones who rode in using the words sluts and ho's, pondering how shocked they are at young teens and 20 year olds provocative dress ie; butt cheeks, cracks and cleavage>>>the 3 C's Oh and remember the one was also pondering the looks he was getting from them, when he looks at them

Okie dokie then y'all go on to your dinner parties and church socials, maybe even standing in the grocery line and ask others what they think too?!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
OMG 2 dumbstruck middle aged men > and then there were the ones who rode in using the words sluts and ho's, pondering how shocked they are at young teens and 20 year olds provocative dress ie; butt cheeks, cracks and cleavage>>>the 3 C's Oh and remember the one was also pondering the looks he was getting from them, when he looks at them

Okie dokie then y'all go on to your dinner parties and church socials, maybe even standing in the grocery line and ask others what they think too?!
I think your ridiculous comments have been made clear. Now "y'all" be on your way.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I've talked with my wife about it, but I also enjoy discussing with others, that's what forums like this are for, right? If I'm wrong, real sorry about that.
Some of my girlfriends didn't like skimpy clothing either. And all of them dressed conservatively when dating me.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 PM

PERFECT EXAMPLE of what I'm trying to illustrate....

Did anyone watch the "Ellen" show today? If so, if you saw Mariah Carey, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

http://photos.ellen.warnerbros.com/g...ember_09_shows

Last edited by TechieTransplant; 11-04-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
PERFECT EXAMPLE of what I'm trying to illustrate....

Did anyone watch the "Ellen" show today? If so, if you saw Mariah Carey, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

November '09 Shows! - Ellen Degeneres Photo Gallery

Ok I'll bite scott, what are your thoughts on what she is wearing AND seeing as you brought them up, the impact that will have on your daughters? Bearing in mind that they'll take their cues on this kind of thing from their parents. So what are you planning on teaching them?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 AM

They take their cues from their peers, not their parents. At least some of their peers will copy what they see come out of the entertainment industry--that's one reason they're trying to minimize the body image problems that come from seeing super skinny models all the time.

I seem to remember, about a year ago, something about a woman getting denied coverage because she was TOO skinny. Not sure if it was a beauty pageant or just a modeling shoot...but she didn't get to do it in any case.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Ok I'll bite scott, what are your thoughts on what she is wearing AND seeing as you brought them up, the impact that will have on your daughters? Bearing in mind that they'll take their cues on this kind of thing from their parents. So what are you planning on teaching them?

My thoughts on what she was wearing...............I think she is a very attractive woman first of all, but I think the stockings and amount of cleavage she revealed cheapened her. I know and agree with whoever said that styles have changed and they reflect a new and free attitude with women. But this outfit really cheapened her.

I don't have children, but as long as I had a child living in my home, they would never leave it looking like that. When they turn 18, they could dress as they want, but I'm sure they would have instilled in them by that time that the way you dress paints a specific picture of you no matter if it's right or wrong.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Shop at Lane Bryant instead of Juicy Couture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty