Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:37 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times

Advertisements

I found this out a while ago after reading and researching some fish disease information and came across a fact abotu flushing a fish down the toilet that i never knew and i want to pass it on.

It turns out that your toilet has a very high consetration of clorine. When you flush a fish live down a tiolet the clorine acts like acid to the fish and slowly burns away at their little bodies. this is extremely painfull for the fish. I thought this was interesting and while im not appose flushing an already diceised fish down the toilet, maybe a live one is not a good idea. You are better off finding a pond or something and putting them there.

just thought i'd share this. I hope it doesn't offend anyone and its not meant to be. Im just hoping this will save some fish from a painfull death someday, even though the people who do it is totally unintentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
The toilet doesn't have any higher concentration of chlorine than your regular water, unless you are using one of those cleaning products that you put in the toilet tank or hang over the side of the bowl.

If you have a live fish you need to get rid of, then return it to the pet store or give it to someone else that wants it. If you must kill it, adding some Orajel or clove oil in the water will give it a painless death.

As far as getting rid of it in a pond or something, that is NOT a good idea. This can result in the spread non-native diseases to native fish, as well as introduce exotic and possibly invasive species into the local ecosystem.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Hmm. I don't know, I'm all for not causing suffering but I wonder if exposing a whole population of other fish to a disease carrying one is a good idea?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 AM

hi or low consentration of clorine will still harm a fish. yea the sink water does as well but not as much. either way your right both types of water are not healthy for fish. I learned the toilet water thing the hard way. not everyones toilets are going to be highly consentrated but most are. I had to try and stop an overflowing toilet the hard way one time. the floors were soaked and everything, it was horrible after cleaning up for about an hour , plunging and soaking up water on the floor my hands were so dry my skin almost cracked. My skin actually had a burning to it it was so bad.

Last edited by okie333; 06-28-2008 at 05:43 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
The water in your sink and in your toilet come from the same inflow pipe. The only way there is a higher level of chlorine in the toilet is if you add it. If you have a live fish that you don't want find it a new home, do not "release" a non native species.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
. You are better off finding a pond or something and putting them there.
This is a very BAD idea. Non-native fish (aka invasive species) can have a devastating effect on wild fish populations (also insects, mollusks, plant species, and other food sources etc.) up to the point of wiping them out. Some people releasing fish because they do not want them to experience pain or are just being kind can be very harmful to nature. It is NOT being kind to realease non-native fish. In the case of the northern part of the country, most tropical fish die from the cold, thankfully, but for us folks in the southern part of the country this is not so. Letting an ill fish go is even worse. Introducing bacteria, viruses, or parasites into an ecosystem with no defense. If you wish to euthanize a fish, the most humane way is to place it in a baggy with tank water and put it in the freezer. It will go to sleep and die peacefully. If it is a healthy fish...take it back to an aquarium store.
I am among several other folks who regularly euthanize non-native fish caught in local creeks, ditches etc.

BTW some species of fish can be dangerous to humans as well.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
I found this out a while ago after reading and researching some fish disease information and came across a fact abotu flushing a fish down the toilet that i never knew and i want to pass it on.

It turns out that your toilet has a very high consetration of clorine. When you flush a fish live down a tiolet the clorine acts like acid to the fish and slowly burns away at their little bodies. this is extremely painfull for the fish. I thought this was interesting and while im not appose flushing an already diceised fish down the toilet, maybe a live one is not a good idea. You are better off finding a pond or something and putting them there.

just thought i'd share this. I hope it doesn't offend anyone and its not meant to be. Im just hoping this will save some fish from a painfull death someday, even though the people who do it is totally unintentional.
The toilet does not lead to a happy fun place anyway. It is a 3 foot pipe full of raw crap and grey water. The fish will not live but a few minutes, it will be long dead before any skin discomfort.
Hollywood with bad movie info has mis-informed the people what a sewer is. With plot lines that people can crawl thru a sewer and reach bank vaults and such.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM

To poltracker: you wasted your energy telling me and other people this. of course it would be a horrible thing to release an animal into its unatural evironment, but that is not what people are refering to. you would have to be stupid to do something like that. ofcourse if it did happen , there is no evidence that the habitat it was released into wouldn't ever recover, nature always recovers in some positive way.

sorry to confuse everyone all i am saying is the toylet for an unwanted alive fish to be flushed down is a torturous way to get rid of the poor animal, while not alot of you know that toylet water can contain an immense amount of clorine at times and has the same affect of a human being dipping themselves naked into a tank of sulfuric acid. this wasn't meant to be discussed, it is a proven fact. there may be some areas of the world and the united states that do not have clorine in their toylet water. that is not what i am refering to. although to each his own.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
There are all kinds of cases where non-native species or diseases were inadvertently or deliberately released into habitats where they didn't exist before and it permanently damaged the local ecosystem. It might recover or adapt eventually, but not in ways that would return it to how it was before. For example, hundreds of frog species around the world are being driven to extinction because of an introduced parasitic fungus.

The water that comes into the toilet is no different than the water that comes into the dishwasher, washing machine, out of the faucet, ect. If your community has chlorinated tap water, then you have chlorinated toilet water, if you don't have chlorinated tap water, then you don't have chlorinated toilet water unless you add it. There are products you can put in the toilet tank or on the bowl that will raise the chlorine content of the water (those giant Clorox tablets you drop in the tank come to mind), but unless you have one of those, water does not magically gain chlorine when it enters the toilet.

If you have to get rid of a sick fish, then use the Orajel or clove oil method I mentioned earlier. It's much more humane than either flushing a live fish down the toilet or dumping them in the wild where they can effect native fish.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Why the heck would anyone even consider flushing a fish, either dead or alive, down the toilet? If a little bitty fish is sick then put it out of it's misery and squish it underfoot and dispose of it. If you don't want a fish then be humane and, if you can't find a new home for it, squish it and bury it outside in your yard. Such inane nonsense. Sorry if I've offended. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish