Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 04:36 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Yeah, but the liberals are running Detroit - didn't they do a great job? Ye He - well heck you can buy a home for $1. Just what Florida needs to help all the poor Southern folk - liberals -
Look at NY, a modern city. Or look at DC, improving everyday. The South is still in the stone age, and should speed up.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Look at NY, a modern city. Or look at DC, improving everyday. The South is still in the stone age, and should speed up.
Why? So it can be like them? Take FL for what it is or dont come. The uniqueness of FL is what makes it what it is. It needs no change. Most of the changes ruined pristine environments and the constant increase in population will make a bad situation worse. FL is what it is. Deal with it or go elsewhere where things are more to your liking. Most of us came to Florida for what it is, not what others want it to be.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why? So it can be like them? Take FL for what it is or dont come. The uniqueness of FL is what makes it what it is. It needs no change. Most of the changes ruined pristine environments and the constant increase in population will make a bad situation worse. FL is what it is. Deal with it or go elsewhere where things are more to your liking. Most of us came to Florida for what it is, not what others want it to be.
Changes? You live in sprawl central.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Yeah, but the liberals are running Detroit - didn't they do a great job? Ye He - well heck you can buy a home for $1. Just what Florida needs to help all the poor Southern folk - liberals -
So this was your response to a comment that pointed out the vast dependency on government in southern states that are conservative?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM

411 posts, read 832,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Sorry Charlie, but people working for change is supposed to be the USA way, so I'd say if you don't like it your free to fight against it, or go somewhere else.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Not really. The Gulf is to my west, the Withlacoochee Forest is to my East. East of Brooksville is ranch land. While it growing to the North of me there are enough protected lands up that way to keep sprawl at bay. It is also so rural north of me it is not an attractive place for sprawl. There is nothing there to justify it. Of course to my south is heavily populated and growing, but 3 out of 4 directions ain't bad. Spring Hill itself is not built out yet. Still lots of acreage and undeveloped lots. That is why I am here.

This area will never become another Orlando which has sprawled in all directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Changes? You live in sprawl central.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:54 PM

People for change of what genius? Your catch phrase refers to change in government not for the destruction of natural resources. There are enough environmentalists and the Florida government itself which will block the erosion of the natural beauty and important ecological attributes of this state to avoid turning it into a wasteland

Perhaps you arent informed as to the reversal of damaging actions in the Everglades and the Kissimmee River, the Florida Ranchlands Environmental Services Project, The Tamiami Trail Project or any other other environmental programs in process and those yet to be. Take your attempt at being a tough talking wise guy and take a walk Johnny, your mother is calling you for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Sorry Charlie, but people working for change is supposed to be the USA way, so I'd say if you don't like it your free to fight against it, or go somewhere else.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
What about them? Are you going to do the stupid conservative thing you learned from watching Fox News where you pick out one situation, distort the reasons and then pretend it applies across the board without providing any evidence? Like, you find one city where one guy is trying to stop some stupid church from putting up some sort of Christmas display and then pretend that there is an all out war on Christmas.
I don't watch Fox. You probably subscribe to moveon though.

Nice deflection of the situations of Detroit, Stockton and Vallejo maybe instead of deflecting, you might do well to actually critically think about what happened there. Not holding my breath though. They probably don't teach you that on the moveon.org mailing list

Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Yeah I guess that's why Texas is the fortune 500 and Job creation capital of the country

Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Your comment seems to insinuate that FL is a state very dependent on the federal government. While this info is a couple of years old, its the latest I see. FL ranks 45 on the list of states requiring the most federal assistance. You may find that your thoughts about the southern part of our country is inaccurate.........

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Federal Aid to State and Local Governments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It would help if South Florida could become a state of its own. North Florida and some parts of Central Florida are what keep the state from really progressing. Those areas are much like South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. and having to support them financially and socially is a real drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida