Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

It should be televised on CSPAN. The message would be "you take a life, you loose yours and here is how its done".

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I have a feeling the electric chair is more of a "spectator sport".

Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM

411 posts, read 831,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It should be televised on CSPAN. The message would be "you take a life, you loose yours and here is how its done".
Look, pal, the trouble is that this type of barbaric thinking does not actually reduce the number of murders, which should be the primary purpose of any law or punishment, but rather the only purpose the death penalty serves is revenge, which the law is supposed to be free from. Governments should never be given the power to execute its own citizens in situations where the citizens are unable to harm the public. Every citizen of the USA should be thoroughly outraged and disgusted that the USA still uses the barbaric death penalty.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Sounds like great family entertainment. Break out the TV dinners and TV trays.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Hey, Jocko, it probably does not deter murders, but it sure cant hurt. Take those two in CT. Tied up a family, burned the kids alive, raped and killed the mother, the father (a doctor) got away and survived.

Should we let them sit in their jail cells until they die naturally or should we let the bleed out after we hack off their feet? I think the provision of the death penalty is the easy way out for them. More important it brings a sense of closure to the survivors of such acts and the families and friends of the victims. I think the feelings of those people are much more valuable than the heartbeat of the scum that are sitting in the cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Look, pal, the trouble is that this type of barbaric thinking does not actually reduce the number of murders, which should be the primary purpose of any law or punishment, but rather the only purpose the death penalty serves is revenge, which the law is supposed to be free from. Governments should never be given the power to execute its own citizens in situations where the citizens are unable to harm the public. Every citizen of the USA should be thoroughly outraged and disgusted that the USA still uses the barbaric death penalty.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Sounds like great family entertainment. Break out the TV dinners and TV trays.
Yes, I'm sure watching somebody, who is most likely completely innocent, get executed by the government qualifies as quality family entertainment in some circles, but the purpose of our justice system is not to provide entertainment for the public.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM

Hey, chisel chest......

Do you really believe they are innocent? How about the clown there were supposed to off last night?

I would be the farm that if a relative of yours was raped, tortured and killed you would be the first on line to push the buttons. Everybody is a liberal until something happens to them. When it is someone elses dime, you make the call.

I am not calling it entertainment. I am calling it payday for the families and friends of the victims.

And whats the difference, you hate TV anyway.

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure watching somebody, who is most likely completely innocent, get executed by the government qualifies as quality family entertainment in some circles, but the purpose of our justice system is not to provide entertainment for the public.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Hey, Jocko, it probably does not deter murders, but it sure cant hurt. Take those two in CT. Tied up a family, burned the kids alive, raped and killed the mother, the father (a doctor) got away and survived.

Should we let them sit in their jail cells until they die naturally or should we let the bleed out after we hack off their feet? I think the provision of the death penalty is the easy way out for them. More important it brings a sense of closure to the survivors of such acts and the families and friends of the victims. I think the feelings of those people are much more valuable than the heartbeat of the scum that are sitting in the cell.
Hey Fleetwood, it sure can't hurt is not really a convincing reason for doing something, and furthermore the justice system is supposed to be free of emotions, so providing closure for the victim's family is not in any way a compelling reason either for allowing the government to execute people. Our justice system in the USA is not supposed to be a tool for revenge. In addition, you are assuming that everybody on death row is guilty of whatever crime put them on death row, which thanks to recent advances in science technology we have seen this is clearly not the case. In Texas, for instance, all one needs to do is accuse some random black person of murder and they will be sent to death row.

If the justice system cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, I don't understand how you, even as the death penalty's greatest fan, be in favor of executing innocent people.

How many innocent people being executed by the government are you cool with?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM

Tell me then genius how many have been executed in the US who were later proven innocent?

Maybe we should take up some of the punishment doled out in other countries. You steal someones car, they chop off your hands. No more stealing cars for you.

Quote:
Hey Fleetwood, it sure can't hurt is not really a convincing reason for doing something, and furthermore the justice system is supposed to be free of emotions, so providing closure for the victim's family is not in any way a compelling reason either for allowing the government to execute people. Our justice system in the USA is not supposed to be a tool for revenge. In addition, you are assuming that everybody on death row is guilty of whatever crime put them on death row, which thanks to recent advances in science technology we have seen this is clearly not the case. In Texas, for instance, all one needs to do is accuse some random black person of murder and they will be sent to death row.

If the justice system cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, I don't understand how you, even as the death penalty's greatest fan, be in favor of executing innocent people.

How many innocent people being executed by the government are you cool with?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Hey, chisel chest......

Do you really believe they are innocent? How about the clown there were supposed to off last night?

I would be the farm that if a relative of yours was raped, tortured and killed you would be the first on line to push the buttons. Everybody is a liberal until something happens to them. When it is someone elses dime, you make the call.

I am not calling it entertainment. I am calling it payday for the families and friends of the victims.

And whats the difference, you hate TV anyway.

Hey, Inspector Gadget, take a look and see how many people have been freed from death row based on DNA evidence that proved their evidence. Take a look and see how many people admitted guilt at the time because they believed it would somehow help them, only to spend ten years on death row before DNA proved their innocence.

If somebody killed my wife, I'd want to kill them for sure, but guess what , the USA justice system is supposed to be free of such emotions, which you, seem to be having an extremely difficult time grasping.

Lookey here Cactus Pete we gonna get up there and ride that horse into town, the USA government should not be killing people to provide a payday for the family and friends of the victims. In your world, why even bother with the trial? Why not just allow people to kill people in the streets, like chimpanzees, to satisfy their blood-lust and just knock it off with the stupid trials, which you hate so much?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Tell me then genius how many have been executed in the US who were later proven innocent?

Maybe we should take up some of the punishment doled out in other countries. You steal someones car, they chop off your hands. No more stealing cars for you.
You have been pushing an extremely primitive line of thought, so perhaps it is no surprise that you would be advocating the we, here in the USA should be looking toward nations such as Saudi Arabia as a legal system model. If we start chopping body parts off, would we then also start executing female rape victims and then demand that the rapists pay restitution to the victims families?

How about instead of chopping the hands off of car thieves we provide car thieves with better options than stealing cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida