Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 AM

25,778 posts, read 12,849,279 times

Advertisements

These double standards must stop. If this was any one of us, we'd have been arrested for possession of drugs and solicitation of a prostitute, and taken off to jail.

There, we'd be questioned to uncover who brought the drugs into the room, and who used them. Also, who hired the prostitute.

All persons in the room, would have been questioned seperately. Investigators have ways to flush out the truth. If a person didn't bring the drugs into the room, and didn't use them, they'd be released...unless they were the John who hired the prostitute, or they were the prostitute.

The odds that Gillum did not bring in, or use, the illegal drugs, AND didn't hire the prostitute are slim IMHO. Possible, just not probable.

Its fact is that the police didn't do their job here, because of who he was. The police officers on the scene did not make that decision. A call was made to the chief of police, who then likely called the mayor.

If I lived in that jurisdiction, I'd be demanding a full FBI investigation be conducted to find out why the local police failed to follow standard protocols, and who made that decision, and why.

Our justice system REQUIRES that all citizens be treated the same.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:20 AM
aax

710 posts, read 499,347 times
We believe Gillum to be reliable and honest. In fact we'd trust him with our life.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:41 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
These double standards must stop. If this was any one of us, we'd have been arrested for possession of drugs and solicitation of a prostitute, and taken off to jail.

There, we'd be questioned to uncover who brought the drugs into the room, and who used them. Also, who hired the prostitute.

All persons in the room, would have been questioned seperately. Investigators have ways to flush out the truth. If a person didn't bring the drugs into the room, and didn't use them, they'd be released...unless they were the John who hired the prostitute, or they were the prostitute.

The odds that Gillum did not bring in, or use, the illegal drugs, AND didn't hire the prostitute are slim IMHO. Possible, just not probable.

Its fact is that the police didn't do their job here, because of who he was. The police officers on the scene did not make that decision. A call was made to the chief of police, who then likely called the mayor.

If I lived in that jurisdiction, I'd be demanding a full FBI investigation be conducted to find out why the local police failed to follow standard protocols, and who made that decision, and why.

Our justice system REQUIRES that all citizens be treated the same.
I agree, 100%. As much of an embarrassment that this is for Gillum (and his family) personally, I am mostly pissed by the apparent unequal treatment under the law here. Anywhere else where there was a serious illegal narcotic found in a room with one person passed out and another person so high/inebriated that they couldn't properly answer questions would be more than enough probably cause to at least arrest everyone in the room for illegal drug possession and suspected use. The only way everyone (in a normal situation not involving a political hot shot or celebrity or wealthy person) would not be arrested for possession is if someone copped to owning the drugs. When no one cops to owning the drugs (Gillum denies owning the drugs, Dyson was passed out and couldn't deny one way or the other, and I gather that the third guy denies as well), the standard practice is to arrest everyone. Again, we are dealing with a serious illegal narcotic, not marijuana. And one that nearly killed a man that night at that!

My guess is that the call was made by higher ups in the police department to not arrest Gillum for possession as doing so would (or so the thinking would go) become immediate breaking news given FL's Sunshine laws and regular investigative reporting dealing with arrests. Something tells me that the police and city politicians thought that merely listing Gillum as a witness had less of a chance of leaking out. But they didn't count on someone leaking the story to Candace Owens

Old 03-17-2020, 07:06 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,298,361 times
...and both people in the room had the exact same overdose symptoms....throwing up

Old 03-17-2020, 07:11 AM

390 posts, read 398,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Yes, reporters who want to get to the bottom of this would be following up on things like that. Who got married? Where was the ceremony/reception, and when? Was the wedding anytime close to when he ended up wasted, in a trashed hotel room with a male hooker or two? Weddings are usually photographed, and if you have a minor celebrity in attendance, photos/videos would be taken. This would provide some evidence of his attendance and/or alibi, as well as his condition at said event. Might they see the other two men among the crowd at this event? But the reporters have to WANT to find out the truth and report it for this to happen.
According to https://www.politico.com/states/flor...rdose-1267145:

"Friends said he was supposed to officiate at the celebration but was a no-show."

Old 03-17-2020, 07:51 AM

IMHO, local Miami Beach residents needs to call the FBI and request an investigation into this potential failure to uphold the law. By reading the posts here, many people suspect some City Official/s clearly failed in his/her duties.

I believe this is also related to yesterday's story of the Mayor now trying to chase off Spring break tourists from the South Beach area.

Only yesterday, did the Mayor take steps to thin the crowds there by closing nearby parking lots & garages, and placing ordinances upon bars and restaurants. Why so slow to act?

These 2 story's have a lot of people asking a lot of questions, & the media exposure that links the two story's is not good.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
You can take a man out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of a man.
Some people can overcome poverty and a lack of proper upbringing (like me) and some cannot. I was raised in the projects, and I made something of myself-with encouragement from church, other people, etc-not my parents. The government gave me a national defense student loan so that I could attend college. I joined the military. I repaid the loan, and went on to live a non-criminal, non-deadbeat life.

I was sorry to hear about Gillum. He could have been like Mayor Pete (a decent gay person), but Gillum fell in with the wrong crowd, for sure.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:05 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,753,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I definitely believe that if this were a Republican, no stone would have been unturned in the media's investigations. There would be updates every hour crawling across the bottom of the screen providing every sordid detail. But as others have said, we see major details omitted from the story as it is mentioned, and the reporting lacks the usual, logical follow-up that comes when the media outlet wants to report on it.
You are 100% correct.

However, it would be because many Republicans, I guess during the pre-Trump era as I don't see how they can effectively do so going forward, oftentimes advertised themselves during their campaigns as the "family values" candidate, taking staunch conservative stances on hot button social issues. Then some of them are busted having an affair with another woman or sometimes a man.

Regardless of the issue, if one takes a strong stance on something, the opposition will look for any instance of hypocrisy as a means of arguing that the position itself is bad. (How many times did Sean Hannity bring up the private jets and mansions of Al Gore and other celebrities contrary to their beliefs about climate change?) I hate that as no one is 100% perfect and consistent in their behavior. Everyone is fallible. It makes it seem like the only thing some people see as sin or bad is hypocrisy itself. Unfortunately, it is just how the world operates.

I agree that there appears to be some sort of cover up, but the media will not force its hand because even if Gillum had personal religious beliefs about the value of family and such, it wasn't a focal point of his campaign. He is also not in office, so what's the point? If the loser of the Texas or California governors race gets a DUI tomorrow, would the general public care?

Think beyond politics. If the anti-debt finance expert was found to have a mortgage or the super anti-processed food influencer was photographed eating at McDonalds once a week, it'd be a scandal in their worlds.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:08 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,753,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
You can take a man out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of a man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Some people can overcome poverty and a lack of proper upbringing (like me) and some cannot. I was raised in the projects, and I made something of myself-with encouragement from church, other people, etc-not my parents. The government gave me a national defense student loan so that I could attend college. I joined the military. I repaid the loan, and went on to live a non-criminal, non-deadbeat life.

I was sorry to hear about Gillum. He could have been like Mayor Pete (a decent gay person), but Gillum fell in with the wrong crowd, for sure.
Um, people growing up in the best of circumstances can still wind up on drugs, addicted to alcohol, and/or cheating on spouses with someone of the opposite or same gender.

I don't know why the term ghetto (code for "black") was brought up in the first place.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:37 AM

[quote=boy3365;57587503]You are 100% correct.

I agree that there appears to be some sort of cover up, but the media will not force its hand because even if Gillum had personal religious beliefs about the value of family and such, it wasn't a focal point of his campaign. He is also not in office, so what's the point? If the loser of the Texas or California governors race gets a DUI tomorrow, would the general public care?

The point is equal justice under the law. Any one of us would have been taken to jail, but not Gillum...why?

Why no equal justice under the law? That is what most people on this thread are objecting to.

Politicians covering for other politicians has gotten way out of control. We must stand together and demand it be stopped. I will not stand for it.

The FBI needs to investigate this to find out why, and to determine if any laws were broken by Miami city officials.
If I were a Miami Beach resident, I'd have called it in to the FBI already. I have no legal standing, so I cannot.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 03-17-2020 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida