Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Can't say I'm worried about it at this point, BUT, I don't really have much of value to anyone but myself, I've never really had much of value to anyone but myself, I never even had credit until the last year or so, but I've always managed to survive just fine . . . but I'm very adaptable, too.

Actually, prior to the current situation, I was starting to get a bit worried about what's going to happen to me down the road, as I've got absolutely nothing for any kind of retirement (and I'm already middle aged), but with other folks losing their caches as well, maybe I don't have to worry about that too much either.

I look at it this way: what are the worst things that could happen to me?

Well, I could die. But then I don't have to worry about anything.

Or, I could be homeless. Then I've got a good excuse to travel around all the time, like I've always wanted to do anyway.

I could become handicapped. But then I can get government assistance and have other folks help take care of me.

Or, I could be imprisoned for something. But then I don't have to worry about shelter, food, etc.

Looks like a win-win situation any way I slice it.
Sounds quite positive to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,152,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Sounds quite positive to me!
lol--yeah, I've always been kind of an "irrational optimist" . . . but it's always worked out anyway despite it maybe being irrational.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:18 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Can't say I'm worried about it at this point, BUT, I don't really have much of value to anyone but myself. I've never really had much of value to anyone but myself. I never even had credit until the last year or so. But I've always managed to survive just fine . . . and I'm very adaptable, too.

Actually, prior to the current situation, I was starting to get a bit worried about what's going to happen to me down the road, as I've got absolutely nothing for any kind of retirement (and I'm already middle aged), but with other folks losing their caches as well, maybe I don't have to worry about that too much either.

I look at it this way: what are the worst things that could happen to me?

Well, I could die. But then I don't have to worry about anything.

Or, I could be homeless. Then I've got a good excuse to travel around all the time, like I've always wanted to do anyway.

I could become handicapped. But then I can get government assistance and have other folks help take care of me.

Or, I could be imprisoned for something. But then I don't have to worry about shelter, food, etc.

Looks like a win-win situation any way I slice it.
Life is full of choices. LOL

Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
That is what gets me going, we lose our 401K and we are bailing out the auto industry while union people are sitting on fat retirement plans. Let the dang unions bail the industry out thats why we pay 20,000 for a car thats not worth crap now a days unskilled workers getting 28.00 an hour to tighten a screw with full benefit package. (GIVE ME A BREAK) Thats why they are so worried about losing their jobs all those unskilled workers don't have skills to bring to the table when looking for a regular job. Let the unions fix the mess they created, but then again it would probably be a bigger mess. I see they are going to bring up consessions, what no coffee break every half hour. PLEEEASE
Whatever the cause, we are all in this boat together. We can't say, "We are not going to bail out your side of the boat because that was your job and you screwed it up!"

In other words, if the auto industry goes under not only will 3 million plus jobs be lost, many retirees will lose their healthcare coverage and a substantial amount of their pension as well. What effect do you suppose that would have on whatever is left of our so called economy?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:35 PM

128 posts, read 648,531 times
I have been bailing my side of the boat for the last thirty years. All I'm saying is let them try and live on what all us non union workers have been living on and try and retire on a 401K not a fat pension then maybe the boat will float and we can afford cars again. Time to take some air out of the fat union wind bag.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have to agree with TaNaples this is nothing like anything I have ever seen even in the 80s when S&L's failed it wasn't as bad as it is now.

I too remember the stories from my Grandmother about the Great Depression. We may not have soup kitchens per se but a lot of ppl are going to food pantries asking for food.

I lost half of my 401K, thank goodness I don't have to use it to live right now. Very scarey
not to be a kill joy or a jerk. But you should research the great depression. The soup kitches didn't show up in the 20s when the great depression kicked off. Those came later. People think with in the blink of a eye it was tent cities and soup lines. No, that developed over time during the duration of the great depression. We are going to see some things that are going to truly be shocking. My heart goes out to the good, honest people of this nation. I really don't think people are prepared for whats coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluey29 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean implode??
sorry for not answering this before. I try not to come to CD that much anymore. Anyway what do I mean by implode? Well first lets look at the defintion from websters:

implode: to collapse inward as if from external pressure ; also : to become greatly reduced as if from collapsing

So lets apply this to each instance I spoke of:

credit cards: people are defaulting on their loans in record numbers. What does that mean for banks and the over all economy? Well mortgages are loans just as credit card limits are. Do you see what happened when defaults picked up in the mortgage markets? Well thats going to happen in credit cards

Student loans: see the above

car loans: see the above

Next year is going to be one for the history books. People are going to have a lot of oh $%*$ moments. I had my first one a few weeks back. I called Gateway to have some equipment serviced at the job to find out they are now bankrupt and apparently no longer honoring warranty :S

That was shocking.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times
There may not be anyone around in Florida in the years to come to serve you your early bird special, give you change at the 711, or bag your groceries at Publix. The service force can not survive nor raise a family on minimum wage and no job benefits. Continuing layoffs will drive tourism down and if the average Joe can no longer afford his vacation at Disney, buying T-shirts to bring home from walgreens, nor shopping our stores, they too will close. Gee, did I paint it black or what?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
I have been bailing my side of the boat for the last thirty years. All I'm saying is let them try and live on what all us non union workers have been living on and try and retire on a 401K not a fat pension then maybe the boat will float and we can afford cars again. Time to take some air out of the fat union wind bag.
Just because Florida workers choose to work for low wages and poor work conditions you want every other worker to do the same? Maybe you should be fighting to get living wages and benefits brought to Florida.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM

628 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Florida numbers:

Unemployed 1 in 14
Worst employment since 1992
Housing free fall
Stocks flirting with 7k and good chance going lower

Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Florida numbers:

Unemployed 1 in 14
Worst employment since 1992
Housing free fall
Stocks flirting with 7k and good chance going lower
yeah but the weather outside is nice :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida