Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Could be – anything’s possible as we are in [modern day] uncharted waters.

If the Greenspan expansion of liquidity is a history lesson, then I suspect the amount of money [currently] being pumped-in from the Fed, Treasury, and Federal Gov. will ultimately create another asset bubble somewhere like the commodities markets for example - then another bust and maybe a repeat of this sort of cycle with lessening intensity and longer frequency.

Hence the recession / flat recovery and recession again that the economist you quote mentions
well if inflation goes as high as many economist predict then you will naturally see the price of gold go through the roof. As for bubbles, they think it will be in renewable energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
well if inflation goes as high as many economist predict then you will naturally see the price of gold go through the roof. As for bubbles, they think it will be in renewable energy.
I’m not so sure! With all the money that’s parked in the US and around the world and with a severe shortage of confidence in just about anything - investors will be looking at basics. What do people need?

Gold could benefit further but you can’t eat gold. At the end of the day I think energy [oil especially, coal, & renewable] crops and food staples [wheat & beans etc] renewable energy crops like corn and some building type commodities like steel and cement (due to the stimulus boondoggle) will be winners

Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
I’m not so sure! With all the money that’s parked in the US and around the world and with a severe shortage of confidence in just about anything - investors will be looking at basics. What do people need?

Gold could benefit further but you can’t eat gold. At the end of the day I think energy [oil especially, coal, & renewable] crops and food staples [wheat & beans etc] renewable energy crops like corn and some building type commodities like steel and cement (due to the stimulus boondoggle) will be winners
inflation ALWAYS has a inverse relationship with gold. Through history this is how it always plays out. Remember gold is a store of wealth and if the dollar isn't worth anything then they will need something to protect them from a deflating currency. I agree with you on everything else except the corn. That is useless for energy, the return on investment is horrible. If anything it would be some form of bio diesel. There is a video on youtube that talks about algae based bio diesel, you should look for it if you have the time. In this interview a scientist talks about ethanol, bio diesel and hydrogen and how much energy is produced from x amount of ethanol, bio diesel and hydrogen. He shows that ethanol is lowest on the totem pole. However bio diesel produces even more energy than petroleum.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 AM

I am not posting this to depress anyone. My heart goes out to those of you who were socially aware in a positive way and have lost your jobs. I hope you recover soon. With that said I just read this from the Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Even in the best-case scenario that the relief efforts work and the recession ends later in 2009, the unemployment rate is expected to keep climbing, hitting 9 percent or higher this year. In fact, the Federal Reserve thinks the unemployment rate will stay elevated into 2011. Economists say the job market may not get back to normal — meaning a 5 percent unemployment rate -- until 2013.
I won't mention what I think is going to happen. Anyway best of luck to all link

Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Not doing good... have had a job since 1995 with no issues, switching several times... i have been looking for ANY job for 4 months now and have not found a single thing. No jobs in same stuff I do, lower jobs won't hire me because I'm overqualified. Really need to get out of Florida into a stronger job market.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not doing good... have had a job since 1995 with no issues, switching several times... i have been looking for ANY job for 4 months now and have not found a single thing. No jobs in same stuff I do, lower jobs won't hire me because I'm overqualified. Really need to get out of Florida into a stronger job market.
Truly sorry to hear this – hope you find the place with a better job market. Don’t want to sound too down here but nationwide the job market is not that much better. USA unemployment @ 8.1 Florida @ 8.6

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default I know what you are going through

Quote:
My husband was out of work (IT) for nearly a year. I can remember he went for a job at a supermarket and they wouldn't hire him there because they said he was "overqualified" and that he would just quit as soon as something better came along. He got an IT job here in Florida and that is why we moved here.

This was 4 years ago now and the economy wasn't nearly as bad as it is today. Good luck in your job search.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My husband was out of work (IT) for nearly a year. I can remember he went for a job at a supermarket and they wouldn't hire him there because they said he was "overqualified" and that he would just quit as soon as something better came along. He got an IT job here in Florida and that is why we moved here.

This was 4 years ago now and the economy wasn't nearly as bad as it is today. Good luck in your job search.
Yep I am also in IT, thus the problem... and in the panhandle, thus the 2nd problem I do DBA stuff, there honestly are just NO jobs whatsoever, not even ones to apply to. Even lower tier IT Jobs I have applied to say I am overqualified, got this with the State of Florida AND another IT company here in Tallahassee. Have also applied to fresh market, petco, staples, office depot, best buy, and about 5 other big box type operations and none of them got back to me. Honestly at this point I just want to find ANYTHING, save up enough money for a move back north. Can't get unemployment either here, or food stamps, I quit my job last June to go on a humanitarian trip to Africa, when I got back in December of course the economy had collapsed...

Old 03-07-2009, 10:39 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Have you ever worked in Management?

Quote:
Yep I am also in IT, thus the problem... and in the panhandle, thus the 2nd problem I do DBA stuff, there honestly are just NO jobs whatsoever, not even ones to apply to. Even lower tier IT Jobs I have applied to say I am overqualified, got this with the State of Florida AND another IT company here in Tallahassee. Have also applied to fresh market, petco, staples, office depot, best buy, and about 5 other big box type operations and none of them got back to me. Honestly at this point I just want to find ANYTHING, save up enough money for a move back north. Can't get unemployment either here, or food stamps, I quit my job last June to go on a humanitarian trip to Africa, when I got back in December of course the economy had collapsed...
or in Sales? The software company my husband works for is looking to fill these two positions. We are in Naples, but this firm pays relocation expenses and well above average Florida salaries.

My husband had two big problems: mainframe and 30 years experience. Everything in his field has long gone to India.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Default depression

In a Bloomberg Television interview Harvard University professor Robert Barro calculated a 30 percent chance the U.S. will slide into a depression

Last edited by Shores9; 03-07-2009 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida