Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times

Advertisements

I know - the real problem is that the days of working your way up the ladder are gone. No longer do you hear about the guy who climed up the ladder of success on experience. Yes, there are certain things that a college degree gives you that you can not get through experience, but that is for Doctors and attorneys who need to study the law. I really don't agree that to run a company you have to have a college education. There are lots of things that now ask you for a college degree (ie, what I do for a living) and I have yet to use anything I learned in school to do what I do today. It is sort of subjective. Right now I'm okay with the money I make, I don't want to give up the time with them - I will go back eventually, just not right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
The New York Times posted a article about this last year. They said a overwhelming majority of seniors are starting to stay in the North east to be with their kids and grand kids. They also said a lot of seniors are leaving Florida and heading back to where they are from. They said what happens is, a spouse dies and they end up alone and sad so they go back to their home towns to be with kids and grand kids. This is not looking good for Florida one bit. The article I posted says "when the boom returns to Florida". Errr are these guys on meth? What does Florida have to offer that could create the ridiculous ponzi scheme conditions it once had? 1. the jobs are low paying and non existant. 2. The talent pool here (highly skilled and educated work force) is low to non existant. Miami MAY be able to pull off a resurrection if they can cultivate local talent to the point they can start companies that will then hire people etc.

Oh and did anyone here NPR today? They said America has a brain drain, that is freaking HORRIBLE! What that means is highly educated and skilled people are moving abroad, leaving behind unskilled workers. That destroyes economies in the long run. They said these people are heading for greener pastors in China and India. They were speaking specifically of silicon valley. Most Americans don't go into I.T. anymore so this could have some very horrible ramifications. If this trend spreads, meh I don't even want to think about it.

Yeah, my fiance's grandmother moved back to NY from FL. Missed her family. His other grandmother would like to move back, but can't because she's too old at this point.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
When we were looking athouses in Naples, that is mostly what we saw too; retirees wanting to go back home (Midwest mostly). I can remember one couple's house we looked at. The man kept calling my husband to lower the price even though he had an agent. The last time he called he was crying on the phone. He said he wanted to go home so he could be around his kids and grandkids when he died. It was very, very sad.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When we were looking athouses in Naples, that is mostly what we saw too; retirees wanting to go back home (Midwest mostly). I can remember one couple's house we looked at. The man kept calling my husband to lower the price even though he had an agent. The last time he called he was crying on the phone. He said he wanted to go home so he could be around his kids and grandkids when he died. It was very, very sad.
Ok, TANaples, I love your post usually, you know that! But man, did you make that part up? i really hope you are just adding stuff in to spice up this story because other wise that is horrific

Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default No, it was true

Quote:
Ok, TANaples, I love your post usually, you know that! But man, did you make that part up? i really hope you are just adding stuff in to spice up this story because other wise that is horrific
He was in his 70s and was from Wisconsin. House originally was listed at $460,000 in 2006. Ok, it was Lely Golf Resort, if anyone wants to know. The last time he called my husband he offered $375,000. Like I said he completely bypassed his agent on this. He kept saying to my husband, "Just for you. Please, I want to go home." We both felt so bad for this man.

I even checked on and off to see if it was sold. It was about 6 months later at $360,000. So he did get to go home to his grandkids.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
Default the Great Recession

The “Great Recession” is what a US Senator recently called it! Nobody wants to use the D word – hence the thread name “Depression Like”. Stocks in a near free fall - our economy in shambles and its getting worse. At the beginning of this thread back in October of last year (when the Dow was at 10,800) I said the Dow was looking like it would be heading to 8K. Then a month later when it was 9k+ I re-adjusted and said we would be headed for 7K or lower. Now Dow 6,750 and we have more pain in front of us.

The US government is carpet bombing the economy with money hoping to stimulate anything… but it’s not working nor will it. We can’t spend our way out of this problem. Rancid banks and corporation should be left to fail, and stimulating by expanding government to the proposed levels will only create huge government debt that will weigh on all of us for generation to come.

I agree [with several posters] that education is important, but education cannot replace drive and desire. We can all have Ph.D’s but absent the desire to achieve we’re lost. We’ve been living fat and lazy in this country for too long. Our kids get too much handed to them and as a result can’t possibly appreciate the value of what they have no less appreciate the education they have been handed (even just high school).

Good news is that in the rubble left behind from failed industries like banking, auto, new/media, real estate, insurance etc… there will be tremendous opportunity especially for those with drive, vision, and ambition.

PS for the record Dow bottoms around 5800-6400. And at least one major failure involving a Bank, Auto Manufacture, or Insurance Company or maybe one from each (Chrysler, Citi, AIG come to mind). Countless other casualties in manufacturing, newspapers, media companies, entertainment, real estate services, finance, and other industries that produce worthless crap.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
The “Great Recession” is what a US Senator recently called it! Nobody wants to use the D word – hence the thread name “Depression Like”. Stocks in a near free fall - our economy in shambles and its getting worse. At the beginning of this thread back in October of last year (when the Dow was at 10,800) I said the Dow was looking like it would be heading to 8K. Then a month later when it was 9k+ I re-adjusted and said we would be headed for 7K or lower. Now Dow 6,750 and we have more pain in front of us.

The US government is carpet bombing the economy with money hoping to stimulate anything… but it’s not working nor will it. We can’t spend our way out of this problem. Rancid banks and corporation should be left to fail, and stimulating by expanding government to the proposed levels will only create huge government debt that will weigh on all of us for generation to come.

I agree [with several posters] that education is important, but education cannot replace drive and desire. We can all have Ph.D’s but absent the desire to achieve we’re lost. We’ve been living fat and lazy in this country for too long. Our kids get too much handed to them and as a result can’t possibly appreciate the value of what they have no less appreciate the education they have been handed (even just high school).

Good news is that in the rubble left behind from failed industries like banking, auto, new/media, real estate, insurance etc… there will be tremendous opportunity especially for those with drive, vision, and ambition.

PS for the record Dow bottoms around 5800-6400. And at least one major failure involving a Bank, Auto Manufacture, or Insurance Company or maybe one from each (Chrysler, Citi, AIG come to mind). Countless other casualties in manufacturing, newspapers, media companies, entertainment, real estate services, finance, and other industries that produce worthless crap.
It will "stimulate" inflation further and further.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
It will "stimulate" inflation further and further.
Which will result in another recession

Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Which will result in another recession
One economist said he thinks we will have a series of recessions and then times of no growth followed by other recessions. He said he expects this flat lines and then declines for the next decade.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
One economist said he thinks we will have a series of recessions and then times of no growth followed by other recessions. He said he expects this flat lines and then declines for the next decade.
Could be – anything’s possible as we are in [modern day] uncharted waters.

If the Greenspan expansion of liquidity is a history lesson, then I suspect the amount of money [currently] being pumped-in from the Fed, Treasury, and Federal Gov. will ultimately create another asset bubble somewhere like the commodities markets for example - then another bust and maybe a repeat of this sort of cycle with lessening intensity and longer frequency.

Hence the recession / flat recovery and recession again that the economist you quote mentions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida