Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 03:40 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times

Advertisements

Dow now looking like 7K or lower.
Alex Sink says Florida is facing a potential $1 billion-plus shortfall in this budget year.
No jobs!!!
Little consumer spending.
Seniors retirement funds going up in smoke

But Governor Crist says he prefers to look on the sunny side. What sunny side! What looks like a sunny day to Crist looks like a depression to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:33 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Dow now looking like 7K or lower.
Alex Sink says Florida is facing a potential $1 billion-plus shortfall in this budget year.
No jobs!!!
Little consumer spending.
Seniors retirement funds going up in smoke

But Governor Crist says he prefers to look on the sunny side. What sunny side! What looks like a sunny day to Crist looks like a depression to me.
Man, it is getting tough out there for a lot of people. So much retirement savings - gone - POOF! It's rough already, but it is going to get rough for many more. Now we have a 700 Billion Dollar bait and switch, as was announced today. Oh well, all the money they spent so far, has not gone to anyone that needs it. When they lowered the interest rates, it just let the institutions write down the liabilities, and increase their equities on their balance sheets. Very little money was provided to those that need to restructure their debt - Nope those people are still going to be crushed. People headed toward foreclosure - well they get a 3 month postponement - great! Big Deal! Banks haven't even really started lending to each other yet - that was what was supposed to happen so they would free up funds for those qualified for a loan. A lot of businesses can't get money to fund their operations, so even more lay-offs will be coming! Maybe this switch will do something. - I pray for all those that have been barely holding on. I pray for all my friends out there - help each other if you can!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 PM

464 posts, read 1,361,029 times
Hi, I would like to say I just read this entire thread, and whilst a bit of tangents going on..it did give me some insight on how th economy in Florida is faring.

But Im kind of on the fence, I mean...(this may sound broad and somewhat shallow) last time I went down there are still expensive cars going around on the road...lots of nightlife. I mean, is this 'effect' having mainly an impact on working class, younger people much more than those with secured positions? Is there a distinction?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile Future

Until this country can address outsourcing (Pfizer just announced it will outsource; so did IBM) and the illegal immigration problem we have, it looks like those in power really don't think there's a problem.

Jobs going overseas and going to those who should not be here....hmmmm.

What can we do about this? Really?

However, I do believe there are many on the sidelines with ready cash and they are ready to spring. I wish I were one of them

Old 11-13-2008, 04:13 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
I think the economic downturn will further expose the flaws in the Florida Economy. Florida has for so long relied on its tourism based economy and influx of money from out of state people to just choo choo this state along. Florida has not diversified its economy and wages remain horribly low for a state this size. Cost of living has increased drastically and it is no longer appealing to many out of state people that would consider moving and bringing their cash with them. I wish everyone in Florida luck because we will all need it.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Home Page | tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times and tbt*

My crystal ball says things will get much worse before there is a turnaround.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I think the economic downturn will further expose the flaws in the Florida Economy.

The price of homes (and living) can go lower and help attract [new] as well as keep [existing] population and money here but if county and local government spending is not muzzled we will still have prohibitively high taxation on all sectors - private and business.

Florida courts have a history of maintaining the status quo when it comes to reforming taxes. In several attempts to reform various tax inequities the courts have sided with the counties and local municipalities who still spend like no tomorrow.

Under the current structure we will not attract employers, jobs, and new residents!

To make matters worse there is a void of talent in our state legislature – these folks up there just don’t seem to get it and the one that do have no clue how to deal with the jerks that don’t.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I think the economic downturn will further expose the flaws in the Florida Economy. Florida has for so long relied on its tourism based economy and influx of money from out of state people to just choo choo this state along. Florida has not diversified its economy and wages remain horribly low for a state this size. Cost of living has increased drastically and it is no longer appealing to many out of state people that would consider moving and bringing their cash with them. I wish everyone in Florida luck because we will all need it.
You know what boggles my mind? The SAME crap happened in 2000/2001 and they did NOTHING to change the situation. Its like people in charge here in Florida have their dumb caps on and it prevents them from making smart decisions.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You know what boggles my mind? The SAME crap happened in 2000/2001 and they did NOTHING to change the situation. Its like people in charge here in Florida have their dumb caps on and it prevents them from making smart decisions.
Dumb like foxes!!!

Politics is more about POWER. Politicians know they have a limited time to peddle their influence, most leverage their position for THEIR agenda not yours.

Unfortunately the folks with the dunce caps on here are the citizens who do nothing about it.

There’s a current citizen initiative to cap property taxes (home and business) at 1.35% but it seems to barely even make the news. WHY?

In my view 2 things need to get done in Florida to keep the state competitive
1- Further reduce the property tax burden on all properties – which will, attract people and business and therefore grow the state increasing the tax base and revenues
2- Limit state and local government revenue collection increases to 1 or 1.5% above inflation effectively giving them the same cost of living style increase we are expected to make due with and eliminate the possibility of alternative tax and fee increases

Politicians addiction to OPiuM - Other People’s Money needs to stop

Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
That is only part of it though. Govt still needs to try and build meaningful and diverse industries here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida