Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times

Advertisements

I think a combination of both - she is very hard to ignore - LOL. Thank you for the well wishes - she will definitely appreciate them.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default 12 Yrs. in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
How long did YOU live in Florida before YOU moved out? We have to FOCUS on this.
We lived in SE FL for 12 years. We would still be there if it hadn't changed so much (Spanish spoken everywhere and our command of the language not good enough to understand them, given how fast they speak.). We loved being 25 min. from the beach. Sitting by our pool, the FL sunsets, the constant stream of things to do, many of them free... The weather was wonderful, winters that were like spring up north and summers hot and humid, but almost always a breeze.

Now we've been gone almost 6 yrs. and still miss the palm trees, etc. Still think about going back to FL but living further north, though I know the weather will not be as nice as Ft. Lauderdale. Somehow, if you enjoy FL, it gets in your blood. We never missed fall or winter, we were having too much fun.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM

64 posts, read 125,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Tanaples, Sunrico is right, you have a problem. I like your daughter and don't want to seem disrespectful to her, but do me a favor don't post responses to anything I have to say - you are combative and that is being nice. You really should focus your attention on other things and perhaps your stay will be better spent there.

As a new poster, I feel the same way about TANnaples. I have never met such a cranky person. Listen Tan, I understand you hate where you are and believe me, I feel for you. It sucks to feel stuck somewhere you hate. I can understand exactly what is going on. You are from NYC and I know Florida is like..world apart from NYC. Personally, I have visited NYC myself and would be happy never to go back. I get all anxious just thinking about city life like that. NOT for me. If my husband suggested we ever move to a huge city because of a job, I would say NOOOO WAY. NO WAY IN HELL. I don't care how much more money he would make, there is no way I would do it. I used to live right outside of Boston and Boston isn't as huge as NYC but I made sure we moved far away from it. I detest big cities. I am a suburban girl, myself.

But that is just differences. You hate Florida. I think everyone here gets that LOUD and freaking clear. But you seem to knock others for liking it, or for wanting to give it a try. I think most people have common sense enough to secure employment before making such a big move, I know we do. I know plenty of people around here who are doom and gloomers such as yourself. yes, things are pretty crappy right now but I am not ready to give up hope that things will get better.

Also, everyone has a different minimum standard of living. For some people, as long as they have a roof over their heads and food in the fridge, they are good for life. For others, living isn't "living" unless they have a pool, a boat, can go on multiple, if any, vacations a year, have a new car, private schools, etc.

Some people can make it work on less and be perfectly happy. You are cranky, you are a vampire, I get that. You miss the hustle and bustle, city life, night life. I get that and I feel for you. For your sake, for your sanity, I hope you can move back home so you can feel whole again. But please, don't knock others for taking chances. It isn't life or death if it doesn't work. People will never know what will work until they try. For us, something isn't working for us here. Nothing is going right. Maybe in Florida we will find something that will click, maybe not. If not, we will try someplace else, and so on. We are a young family, just into our 30's. We have time. I love trying new things. I don't think you do.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Default What a great thread

I didn't see it until now! I guess I will speak on my parent's behalf. My parents moved from San Rafael, CA to Orlando, FL (in my opinion the dumbest move ever made) in 1992. They stayed there from 1992-2001. My dad and the rest of the family still lives there. My mom and my sister and me currently reside in San Antonio, TX (not my choice of course).

We could have been Californians. This sucks. I get so aggravated when my mom is all shocked about Texas apartment prices like 3 bedroom for $900 or something like that. She's lived in one of the most expensive cities in the United States. She's lived in Boston and San Rafael. So I don't understand how sometimes she's all shocked about things like that.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM

158 posts, read 504,127 times
TANaples is one of the 6-7 posters I was referring to in the other thread. As I mentioned negative opinions are fine but when they're incessently posted over and over again you have to question the person's agenda.

My feeling is that she's the type of person that is just chronically miserable and therefore wants everyone else to be miserable too. Sad.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM

We are a young family in our 30's Madalay, maybe we will meet some day. We all have to work our stroke of luck at some point or another.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:33 PM

64 posts, read 125,586 times
Quote:
Where are you love? That is awsome! She really was out there pounding the pavement and got 2 interviews just by walking into a place - LOL. I wish your husband luck! Hopefully, they will both get a job. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

We live in MA right now. Ever since I met DH, when I was 16, he has talked about moving to FL. His favorite Aunt and cousins moved there. His mom was about to, but was afraid.

We have had some hard times, which suggested to me that something is not working. I really don't want to dole out my personal problems to strangers, but just know that I finally said, ok, we can try something new.

I can't say that a move will solve our problems, I doubt it will, but it may make life easier to live knowing that my family will be more comfortable.

I am under no false impressions that Florida is paradise, I think it just like any other place, full of problems. But so is Massachusetts. It has its good points, and it has its awful ones too. Talk about rude drivers, a few years ago I was followed home by a car full of teens after I accidentally cut them off on the high way. They threatened to burn my house down, and then took off. It happens everywhere.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
from birth until I finished university... then got out... so about 22 years?

back again for a bit, probably out again next summer
this run will be 1.5 years.

If I didn't make a commitment to my gf I would leave ASAP.

If I were retirement age or close to it, would probably be fine golfing, fishing, chilling at the beach in south florida.

For me in my late 20s in north florida (non coastal) (the south), after living in Chicago and San Francisco area, its pretty damn crappy.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:38 PM

And I think that is a fair assessment. I loved NYC in my 20's, not so much now that I have a family.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Me too

Quote:
And I think that is a fair assessment. I loved NYC in my 20's, not so much now that I have a family.
and that is why I moved to Long Island. Considered Westchester and New Jersey also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida