Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 PM

831 posts, read 2,439,067 times

Advertisements

I have read it over and over again on the threads and still haven't really figured out why. There are so many states where people from up north move to and aren't criticized nearly as much as they are in Florida. Do Floridians get the same treatment when they move to another state?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:19 PM

263 posts, read 575,300 times
It's all about attitudes and how one carries themselves. It's not about where your from, it's just about how you treat ppl and act. And a lot of the times, here in FL, it's people from certain areas who get a bad name, but if some folks didnt act the way they do at times, it wouldnt be an issue.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM

158 posts, read 504,255 times
It's seems like it's only a few folks that voice the loudest opinions. Seriously, how many native Floridians can say their family goes back 2, let alone 1, generations in this state?

The thing about Florida though is that we have more transplants from the Northeast, and transplants in general(California?), than any other state in the country. But go to any forum in City Data(Maryland, NC/SC, Georgia, Texas, etc...) and you'll see the same type of transplants vs. natives-type posts.

Last edited by DC2Tampa; 02-24-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM

263 posts, read 575,300 times
I dont think it matters how long a Floridian has been here, or how many generations, some folks just get tired of the BS that a lot of ppl move here with. The aggressive, rude types we can do without, but unfortunately, we have so many of them, good folks leave. Look at the people moving into the state versus out. Tell me which group you'd rather have as your neighbors, friends, co-workers.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 PM

32 posts, read 94,247 times
I agree with PF and DC2T.

Hell, I'm not even "from" here to prove DC2T's point. Born in Georgia, was moved to Fl almost immediately, and have lived here most of my life. Found my husband, moved to Ga for him, then ended up right back here. Don't plan on ever leaving again. Point is, I consider myself a Floridian.

I have many different types of friends from many different places, so, me personally- I don't care where you're from, or if your black, white, brown, purple, or blue! Don't care if you're gay, straight or a little of both. No matter the difference, I guess I get annoyed when people come here and insult locals and complain, complain, complain. This can be said for all people, not just northerners. I personally wouldn't move to Key West and insult, and complain about gay people, you know what I mean?

This would be the only reason that I might come across that way, when I defend what I love. I don't just dislike someone because of where they're from. Man, I love everybody!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:37 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,771,599 times
Hey Audrey - I agree whole heartedly with you, but to make this point completely true you would have to say that every single Florididian is uber nice and has never ever been mean or rude to anyone. That is next to impossible to believe. I understand why sterotypes are the way they are, and understand completely the ramifications of these sterotypes. I'm just here to say hey, my name is Chelsa and I'm not nasty or rude (unless provoked - just don't mess with my kids). I'm nobody's fool, but I don't just walk up to people and start being crabby just for the sake of being crabby - LOL. I do have to admit though I can talk kind of loud. I am not sure why though, I don't know anyone who really has a hearing problem, but still I talk pretty loud - LOL.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:55 PM

32 posts, read 94,247 times
Chelsa- NO!!! I am not saying every Floridian is nice, we've got some a** holes too!
I just am making sure why I might come across this way is known.
All kinds of stinkers from everywhere! And you don't even apply to what I was saying- you aren't on these threads being a big jerk to us. Thank you for that! I just said on a similar thread that I have many friends like you and faithfulFrank from NY that don't act this way, and I completely agree with what you said about the double edged sword and not generalizing! I don't dislike some one because they open their mouth and I hear another accent. It is usually their behavior!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:08 PM

831 posts, read 2,439,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey Audrey - I agree whole heartedly with you, but to make this point completely true you would have to say that every single Florididian is uber nice and has never ever been mean or rude to anyone. That is next to impossible to believe. I understand why sterotypes are the way they are, and understand completely the ramifications of these sterotypes. I'm just here to say hey, my name is Chelsa and I'm not nasty or rude (unless provoked - just don't mess with my kids). I'm nobody's fool, but I don't just walk up to people and start being crabby just for the sake of being crabby - LOL. I do have to admit though I can talk kind of loud. I am not sure why though, I don't know anyone who really has a hearing problem, but still I talk pretty loud - LOL.

I also talk loud. People take it the wrong way, they think I'm yelling which I'm not but if I was you'd know it.lol Maybe its just in our genes.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
Interestingly, this just happened yesterday. I going to my local bagel shop and opened the door. As I did, a man was coming out the door holding a cup of coffee and a bag of bagels. I opened the door wide open and stood there. The man seemed frozen in shock. I held the door open and said to him, "No, YOU go out." After all he as carrying things and I wasn't. With a very big smile, and a thick southern drawl, he said to me, "Why thank you so much, little lady". Hell, it's only common courtesy if something is carrying something and you aren't, you hold the door open for them. Male or female it doesn't matter.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 PM

158 posts, read 504,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Interestingly, this just happened yesterday. I going to my local bagel shop and opened the door. As I did, a man was coming out the door holding a cup of coffee and a bag of bagels. I opened the door wide open and stood there. The man seemed frozen in shock. I held the door open and said to him, "No, YOU go out." After all he as carrying things and I wasn't. With a very big smile, and a thick southern drawl, he said to me, "Why thank you so much, little lady". Hell, it's only common courtesy if something is carrying something and you aren't, you hold the door open for them. Male or female it doesn't matter.
I always hold doors for people and I also let pedestrians cross the street and I was born and raised up North.

To break it down, this is what I've gathered from the opinions on this thread and the forum in general... "Northerners are rude" ...and non-Northerners generalize WAAAAAAAYYYY too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida