Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Yeah but the New Yorkers that yall are talking about are actually mostly from NYC which really is a whole different state it really belongs in New Jersey.

LOL what????? I've never heard of such an odd opinion. Many NYers would never want NYC to be a part of NJ.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 AM

150 posts, read 482,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
LOL what????? I've never heard of such an odd opinion. Many NYers would never want NYC to be a part of NJ.

I go up to New York State to go hunting and fishing every year and NYC really doesnt even belong in that State. The majority of people living there have never even stepped foot and that little Dot on their states map. Western New Yorkers are rural and much like folks here in the country parts of the South. But we need Florida as a state crime shows would be dull without it.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I have read it over and over again on the threads and still haven't really figured out why. There are so many states where people from up north move to and aren't criticized nearly as much as they are in Florida. Do Floridians get the same treatment when they move to another state?
Why do Floridians dislike Northerners?
Maybe because they have to live around them. LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist it!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:31 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Umm, I don't think so! New York City is very different from NJ. Listen everyone - There is NYC and then there is everywhere else on the planet. I'm not saying NYC is better or worse just very different. No where in the world operates quite like NYC. there a few places that are similar, but there is only one NYC.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 AM

You are right, but It doesn't mean that we should be apart of NJ either. That had to be one of the strangest statements I have ever heard.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Why can't we all just get along? Look there are many stereotypes that follow both the Northerners and the Southerners around. We need to let it go because aside from talking loud I'm nothing like what you guys have described northerners being like and I'm born and raised here.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
When most people speak of NYC, they mean Manhattan and not the other 4 boroughs. So many times when I lived on LI and people used to say they were going "into the City", I would ask them WHERE? They would look at me like I had 3 heads because, of course, they meant Manhattan.

Then there is Staten Island. For decades they have talked about seceeding from NYC (and NY) and becoming part of NJ. Actually, they do have more similarities to NJ than NYC. It wouldn't happen. They would be cutting off their noses to spite their faces and deep down they probably know that.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
well when my retired great uncle from NYC moved there they got the red carpet.
now they just get laid out on the carpet.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:55 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Before posting, ask yourself, "Is it helpful, true, respectful, and in accordance with the TOS..?".....it IS that simple Folks......

Dear Moderator Frank... with the caption of Why do Floridians dislike Northerners so much? This thread never stood a chance.
Agreed.
And to think we live in the best country in the world.....even our poorest still have many freedoms that many in the world would envy. We are so blessed.

It basically comes down to treating people like you want to be treated. God gave us two ears and only one mouth.....I think He intended us to use them in that proportion.
Almost everyone has a fascinating story.......it is wise to listen to that story and earn the right to be heard before we give our views.

No one is perfect, and no place is perfect. Weather one wants to live in the North or the South.....there are good and bad things about both, are we not blessed just knowing that we have the freedom to live where we want? No border crossings, no official government papers giving us permission.

Even the diversity of our country is something to marvel at. Few countries can boast tropical areas, snowbelt areas, awesome seacoasts, majestic mountains, beautiful deserts, etc........all in one country and the freedom to experience all of them if we wish.

On top of that, we have good water and sewer everywhere, good roads to get us anywhere, plentiful food and gas everywhere, electricity everywhere.
We don't think about it at all....but MOST of the world does NOT have those things........

Everyday should be thanksgiving.

Frank D.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
I go up to New York State to go hunting and fishing every year and NYC really doesnt even belong in that State. The majority of people living there have never even stepped foot and that little Dot on their states map. Western New Yorkers are rural and much like folks here in the country parts of the South. But we need Florida as a state crime shows would be dull without it.
As a western NY'er and future Floridian, I have to agree here. I'm sure Rachel is correct based on the people she knows....the point we are missing here is basically there is very little in common between a NYC person and NY'ers who live in the rest of the BIG state of NY.

They really are different. MANY folks believe they should be different states...congressmen have presented many bills trying to separate them. Our local state congressman is sponsoring one right now. It will never happen, but there are many who think it should. The fact is that most NYC folks have never seen the rest of NY, and most rural NY'ers have never seen NYC. Different worlds completely.

BUT FOLKS......this is a Florida forum, so again, let's stick to this floundering , shaky topic.......

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida