Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM

573 posts, read 2,443,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty911 View Post
Why do Floridians dislike Northerners?

Because it is part of American culture going back to a pre Civil War era. Northerners telling Southerners what to do, how to do it, and how to live. You just can't change a culture that is so firmly entrenched in the South.

And Florida is the south. Parts, particularly south Florida, is being / has been changed by those who immigrate from the Caribbean, Cuba, and the north. Floridians resent their heritage and ways of life being taken away by the northern way.

It also doesn't help that the Northerner accent is so distinct (abusing, rude, and loud) and that places them into a pile with everyone else who speaks the same. They come down for 4-5 months, overcrowd the streets, beaches, local hangouts and exhibit a sense of entitlement. IME, scammers and cheaters are not from within Florida, but are from the North.
This is such a blanket statement! Scammers are only from the north, what a crock. There are bad ppl everywhere. Oh, and by the way, FLORIDA is NOT THE SOUTH!!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 59,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I don't dislike them. I just wish they'd shut up about how they did it up north.
DING DING DING...We have a winner!!!!.Most people from the North are good down to earth.

Last edited by sfla84; 03-03-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM

436 posts, read 1,090,159 times
Default it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
This is such a blanket statement! Scammers are only from the north, what a crock. There are bad ppl everywhere. Oh, and by the way, FLORIDA is NOT THE SOUTH!!!!

It depends on what part of FL you are in. I can see in some parts of FL where one would say, "Am I in NY or FL?", but also, I can see where you'd think FL is definitely a part of the south, especially in the Northern parts of the state (example: the nicknames "Florgia" and "Floribama."

Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Default I am in a tropical resort for old people

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
It depends on what part of FL you are in. I can see in some parts of FL where one would say, "Am I in NY or FL?", but also, I can see where you'd think FL is definitely a part of the south, especially in the Northern parts of the state (example: the nicknames "Florgia" and "Floribama."
That is what my daughter says and why she is moving back to NY in a few weeks. She is right.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 PM

970 posts, read 2,952,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
As a western NY'er and future Floridian, I have to agree here. I'm sure Rachel is correct based on the people she knows....the point we are missing here is basically there is very little in common between a NYC person and NY'ers who live in the rest of the BIG state of NY.

They really are different. MANY folks believe they should be different states...congressmen have presented many bills trying to separate them. Our local state congressman is sponsoring one right now. It will never happen, but there are many who think it should. The fact is that most NYC folks have never seen the rest of NY, and most rural NY'ers have never seen NYC. Different worlds completely.

BUT FOLKS......this is a Florida forum, so again, let's stick to this floundering , shaky topic.......

Frank D.
carpetbagger?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty911 View Post
Why do Floridians dislike Northerners?

Because it is part of American culture going back to a pre Civil War era. Northerners telling Southerners what to do, how to do it, and how to live. You just can't change a culture that is so firmly entrenched in the South.

And Florida is the south. Parts, particularly south Florida, is being / has been changed by those who immigrate from the Caribbean, Cuba, and the north. Floridians resent their heritage and ways of life being taken away by the northern way.

It also doesn't help that the Northerner accent is so distinct (abusing, rude, and loud) and that places them into a pile with everyone else who speaks the same. They come down for 4-5 months, overcrowd the streets, beaches, local hangouts and exhibit a sense of entitlement. IME, scammers and cheaters are not from within Florida, but are from the North.
Nailed it.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Hi, I am in Boca Raton which I have heard is not the friendliest. Yesterday for ex there was a big issue at the library when one person asked another to not talk on their cell phone but it was like a yelling match. At the grocery store I saw similar or even how customers treat workers. I am sure it is not like this everywhere in FL but just what I have noticed in this area. There are parts of where I am from in MI that are similar but nothing like what I saw here.
No one from Boca is a native. They're from up nawth or a foreign country.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:21 PM

436 posts, read 1,090,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
No one from Boca is a native. They're from up nawth or a foreign country.
Yes, that's true. I hate to say it, but it's pretty obvious too. Sorry!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Default My daughter spent the majority of her life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
carpetbagger?
growing up on Long Island. Although she did go to college in Cortland and that is ABSOLUTELY upstate and RURAL, the fact remains that Long Island is still nothing like NYC.

Rachael was born in Queens and we moved to Long Island when she was 2 years old. She has lived in Queens now for 2 years and just bought a house on LI. She is more of an "Islander" than a City Girl.

I am the one who is the City "girl" much more than her; born (Manhattan), raised, and spent 28 years in NYC. Although I must admit, I LOVED living on Long Island.

Last edited by TANaples; 03-03-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM

573 posts, read 2,443,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
I have to agree that northern FL is pretty southern but different in some ways, can't explain it. Port St. Lucie (where I am from) is not the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida