Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 PM

17 posts, read 48,715 times

Advertisements

In reference to the original question, I'm originally from the NE..have lived in Texas for nearly 20 years. We go to the keys whenever we can. NY folks are sort of trained to be more aggressive and outspoken than in many other places. It's what you learn to get by there. In TX, people are raised to be more subdued, and polite. It's normal to chat in a grocery line or with someone you just meet on a street. Talking to strangers was much more uncommon when I lived in NY. I guess over time, I morphed from being more of a type 'A' NY person to a laid back Texan. There are good and bad from both areas. It's funny after being gone so long how apparent the differences are in the 2 cultures. My wife and I were sitting at a beachfront bar/restaurant in Islamorada, and a group of 6 NY/NJ folks were nearby on vacation. When they didn't get service in a timeframe that they considered reasonable, they started saying YO..BARTENDER..HOW BOUT SOME SERVICE HERE..etc. etc. On and ON! They were friendly enough to us, and asked how we got served before them. My wife and I just smiled and said 'I dunno'..but we suspect it's because we were very low key, chatted with the waitress when she did stop by and simply waited till she got back around to us without hollering. She was after all waiting on about 20 tables. Once she got to the folks next to us, they were sort of rude and saying stuff like 'It's about time' etc....I don't think they were intentionally rude..but when you are from NY, sometimes it's the squeeky wheel that gets the oil so to speak. The waitress wasn't trying to be rude to them, but she probably hesitated to deal with them because they 'seemed' more confrontational than many of the other folks there. Does that make any sense?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 PM

80 posts, read 177,238 times
I am nice and friendly. If a person is nice and friendly back, there fine with me. In FL, I feel like I have to initiate conversation EVERYTIME with my neighbors, except the native Floridians across the street. They always wave and say hi. The others? It's hit or miss. I just find that many of my neighbors (many from NY or Mass.) just either dont seem to care about anyone else and conversate, or maybe they feel it's weird. I dunno. But it gets really old.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM

413 posts, read 1,369,026 times
I don't hate people because that is a really strong word. I am tired of people coming from other states who complain about everything and how we don't do it that way back home. Well stay home then. Either you adapt or you don't.

I really wish when people move here they would realize that the speed limit sign isn't a suggestion it is what speed you are supposed to be driving. I have been stuck behind people from other states who drive 35 in a 55mph zone.

Rae the Chef you will find native Floridians as well as people who have been her for a decade or two to be very friendly. I am guessing people like your neighbors have no clue about how to converse with each other. Either that or someone forgot to tell them to take the stick out of their bums when they moved here. So just ignore them and talk to the neighbors who are friendly.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 AM

283 posts, read 653,071 times
Funny how so many who post here are down on northerners and retirees but want their housing prices to stabilize and then go up. Dah who do you think is going to buy your house? Those retirees bring money in and do not send kids to schools. When they die, they spend a fortune on nursing homes and hospitals. You built like crazy and ran prices through the roof and wanted it to last forever. Don't like those nasty pushy New Yorkers? I can't say I entirely blame you. They come from a place where it is dangerous to be nice. New York City is in many ways a tough place to live and work in. You have built an economy that is based on tourism and taking care of retirees. It is what it is.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:00 AM

80 posts, read 177,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
Funny how so many who post here are down on northerners and retirees but want their housing prices to stabilize and then go up. Dah who do you think is going to buy your house? Those retirees bring money in and do not send kids to schools. When they die, they spend a fortune on nursing homes and hospitals. You built like crazy and ran prices through the roof and wanted it to last forever. Don't like those nasty pushy New Yorkers? I can't say I entirely blame you. They come from a place where it is dangerous to be nice. New York City is in many ways a tough place to live and work in. You have built an economy that is based on tourism and taking care of retirees. It is what it is.
In Orlando, the people that are probably going to buy my house are either going to be Hispanics from NY, or from Puerto Rico. But your right about our economy, and that's why we get who we get. We need to be far more diverse.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
And why exactly does that matter to you? I'm just wondering what your point was of mentioning what type of people were probably going to buy your house. Please do elaborate.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 AM

Perhaps that is because they don't conversate, they converse. I'm just busting chops! I know that there are a lot of spanish people where you live. Maybe they don't really speak english and can not communicate on what they feel is an intelligent level so, they would rather not speak at all. Obviously, this is not the case for every instance, but a language barrier is big.

I am with you though on the "I'm nice to people who are nice to me". I know my neighbor pretty well and we speak all the time. We are not friendly to the point that I invite her for dinner or anything like that, but if I see her, I always say hello. I don't like when people run hot and cold. I need consistency! Makes for a much better neighbor!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 AM

You are right and I have stated the exact same thing in other posts. Personally, no matter what state I was from, I would never go to another place and make someone else feel bad about the way they do things and then go on and on about how I do it better becaus I'm from "any where USA". That is just rude! My parents raised me better than that. I think a lot of us on this forum whether in Florida or any other state have similar issues with society in general. And a lot of us use a great deal of common sense when going through our daily routine and when you are this type of person and encounter people who don't use common sense (and goodness there are so many), you are taken aback. Think about it, you sit and you look at peoples actions and you sometimes ask yourself "how does this person function in life this way?" Really, it is a lack of common sense and a lot of people are conforming to that, rather than having people operate this way conforming to the right way of being. I don't want to go on and on about whose idea of right is really right. I think we can all be on the same page when we... I don't know, see and older person crossing the street slowly because they can barely walk and not honk at them to move their a$$, or hold a door for a person walking out of a place with there hands full and have them actually say thank you. Things along these lines. Common sense, common courtesy - it really needs to be used a whole lot more these days, it is all but lost and it is only getting worse. I will admit, I lose my patients with people like this sometimes!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 AM

413 posts, read 1,369,026 times
I would never honk my horn at an older person because I look at them and am glad I am able to walk around and remember one day they were as young as we all are. I used to get upset when someone would cut in front of me but not anymore. I figure with the reckless way they are driving they are in a hurry to get to an early grave.

Unfortunately common sense and common courtesy do need to come back. What is wrong with holding the door for someone.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,559 times
Default "All the people there are so nice."

Oh really?

These days...aren't people in Florida from all over the place? Do they all morph into some "local" type? I'm sure the retired NYers still bring their particular charm, but the rest of them? And a native Floridian...what the heck are they supposedly like? If any of these questions have been addressed already, I apologize. I did not have time to read
the complete thread.

By the way, I live in Los Angeles and wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what Anglelnos are like. There are just too many variables to do so.

Johhny-come-lately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida