Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 04:15 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
EIGHT MILES? Florida is only 8 miles across the state? Even on a diagonal? Give me the statistics then on the break of Midwesterners versus New Yorkers for the Gulf Coast. Are you saying there are still MORE? I don't think so. I have EYES. I can see the out of state plates. There are far more from MICHIGAN here than from New York.
I guess I have to spell it out.

If you drove from NYC to Miami it is a distance of 1291.15 miles, from NYC to Naples is 1300.34.

Nowhere in my post did I say the state was 8 miles across. Most people when driving will take the most direct route, if they are going to Naples they are not going to drive to Miami and then over to Naples.

My post was in response to your statement, "It's not easy getting to the Gulf Coast of Florida from the east coast. You have to travel clear across the state and then all the way south to get to SW Florida."

Obviously proven wrong by the facts I laid before you.

Now since you say that there are far more people from Mich. than NY in Naples please show us where you are getting your facts from or is it just your opinion masquerading as fact.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:25 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Why do Floridians dislike Northerners so much?

I don't. And if that's not the biggest generality!! Just because you hate northerners it doesn't mean all Floridians hate northerners. Come on down!!! Bring your money! We've got sunshine, cheap houses, and some very nice people down here.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM

80 posts, read 177,097 times
verobeach, are you a native Floridian?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 20,483 times
I have read most of the pages here, but admittedly not all. I want to add my opinion, it may be redundant but, I moved to Flagler Beach from Long Island, NY three years ago. I love it here. I have found the vast majority of the people in this area to be very nice. I shop in Palm Coast, which is made up of an estimated 90% of transplants from other states. A large majority are from NY, NJ, Pa, from what I have read on another forum, are they nice. Yes, the majority. There have been a few who are considered to be rude, but I just don't let them bother me. Are there bad drivers, yes and I will guess that they are native Floridians, NYers, Northerners and Southerners. Who knows for sure?
The bottom line is that I chose to move from NY to here. I love it here, as I said. There is no where else I would want to live. Do I miss NY-not really. I do miss the pizza we had up there, but was it better or just different????? I also go to Pa, where my family lives and their pizza isn't NY pizza either. Of course, the reason may be because it isn't NY!!!
I hope that those who have judged people from NY harshly will consider that there are many different personalities, dispositions etc. The same is true for people from any place.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Oh you are so PERFECTLY RIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I guess I have to spell it out.

If you drove from NYC to Miami it is a distance of 1291.15 miles, from NYC to Naples is 1300.34.

Nowhere in my post did I say the state was 8 miles across. Most people when driving will take the most direct route, if they are going to Naples they are not going to drive to Miami and then over to Naples.

My post was in response to your statement, "It's not easy getting to the Gulf Coast of Florida from the east coast. You have to travel clear across the state and then all the way south to get to SW Florida."

Obviously proven wrong by the facts I laid before you.

Now since you say that there are far more people from Mich. than NY in Naples please show us where you are getting your facts from or is it just your opinion masquerading as fact.
Mr. Real Estate Agent. It will only take about 20 more minutes driving from NYC to the Gulf coast of Florida than to the east coast Hell, it's even SHORTER than going from South Naples to North Naples. An't that amazing????

And speaking of Naples, it is so overrun with people from the NE, especially NYC. New Yorkers just LOVE the Gulf Coast of Florida. They are all FLOCKING down here and making all the real estate agents RICH. Hell, pretty soon there will be NOBODY left in the NE. Theywill all be SWARMING down to Florida, especially the GULF Coast.

Hey, Mr. Real Estate Agent, Wanna Buy a Bridge?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Then why are you LIGirl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl46 View Post
I have read most of the pages here, but admittedly not all. I want to add my opinion, it may be redundant but, I moved to Flagler Beach from Long Island, NY three years ago. I love it here. I have found the vast majority of the people in this area to be very nice. I shop in Palm Coast, which is made up of an estimated 90% of transplants from other states. A large majority are from NY, NJ, Pa, from what I have read on another forum, are they nice. Yes, the majority. There have been a few who are considered to be rude, but I just don't let them bother me. Are there bad drivers, yes and I will guess that they are native Floridians, NYers, Northerners and Southerners. Who knows for sure?
The bottom line is that I chose to move from NY to here. I love it here, as I said. There is no where else I would want to live. Do I miss NY-not really. I do miss the pizza we had up there, but was it better or just different????? I also go to Pa, where my family lives and their pizza isn't NY pizza either. Of course, the reason may be because it isn't NY!!!
I hope that those who have judged people from NY harshly will consider that there are many different personalities, dispositions etc. The same is true for people from any place.
Get with the program. You are a FLORIDIAN now.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 PM

310 posts, read 868,807 times
Still re-living the civil war I guess. I don't know think it's just a Floridian thing but more of a southerner issue w/northerners.

However, I have met some pretty loud-mouthed NYC and NJ people since being down here--we tend to just give them a wide berth because they can be a disaster on the roads down here.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
Still re-living the civil war I guess. I don't know think it's just a Floridian thing but more of a southerner issue w/northerners.

However, I have met some pretty loud-mouthed NYC and NJ people since being down here--we tend to just give them a wide berth because they can be a disaster on the roads down here.

And there you have it. You wonder why Floridians get tired of people from NYC/NJ? You pretty much said it yourself up above!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl46 View Post
If it's estimated that 90% of folks in Palm Coast are transplants, most of which are from NY/NJ, then is it really hard to figure out who the rude drivers are that you speak of? LOL.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,484 times
I want to tell everyone from NY especially NYC, you don't have to speak so loud we aren't deaf down here.

And I wish people who judge Southerners would also know that we aren't hillbillies, uneducated, inbred, stupid, etc who would have nothing if it wasn't for Northerners coming South. Yes, Florida main thing is tourism but there are also cattle ranches, citrus, aerospace etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida