Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 AM

210 posts, read 664,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
You dredged up this old post to slam Yankees? If it weren't for the Yankee presence in FL, who'd be spending the bucks and keeping the economy afloat? The restaurants would disappear, shops and businesses would close, and we'd just be Alabama South. I thought the 'Southern Culture' was to be gracious. This is hardly a gracious post. It is telling, however... telling of who you are and what you represent.
Yes Sir, being gracious is part of the "Southern Culture" but so is a stubborn resilience and an unwavering love for many thing that have nothing to do with "bucks." Ours is a way of life that you do not understand and will never understand. Maybe Paul Harvey can help..he said, "If people knew the truth about Mississippi, the yankees would show up and ruin it." Florida is the rest of the story.

I didn't dredge up an old post to attack anyone but only to express my point of view on the subject matter; a subject matter where many native Floridans are often silenced. Do you think the town of Essex, Connecticut would appreciate Southerners inundating their region until they are eventually outnumbered 10 to 1. No amount of money brought by these Southern immigrants could make up for the culture and way of life that ultimately would be lost. Because sooner or later the Southerners are going to outnumber the native New Englanders, town hall meetings might be done away with, the New England English will be nearly obsolete and replaced with a Southern drawl and maybe instead of clam chowder you'll find grits on the menu...or they might offer only sweet tea! Suddenly even the great-great grand children of old new England families are talking in Deep South dialects. And, maybe this particular group of Southerners didn't appreciate any of that Federal-style architecture so they tear down the old churches and build modern ones..mostly Baptist and Methodist. Then you turn around one day and Jim, a descendant of one of the founders of Essex is celebrating his 40th birthday and still calling his parents Mama and Daddy.

I did not hunt down this forum to attack anyone but maybe just because I am FED UP! Fed up with dealing with situations like these: The table of loud obnoxious Northerns in Tampa sitting near our table whose language was so filthy my family had to get up and leave, a school teacher of mine freshly removed from NY to Florida who told my 5th grade class that Southerners were evil and that it was rude to say yes maam or no maam or sir, we also had a Florida Heritage book when I was growing up in grade school...now that has been removed...found out the board who did away with it was 60% northerners who moved to Florida within the last 10 years of the decision, the northern developer who bought all the land across the lake from my granddaddy's and told us he wouldn't destroy it...now there are about 60 stucco houses that look exactly alike that replaced the old cypress and live oak forest, the countless times I hear horns blown behind me driving down the road only to turn and see a license plate from the North. And don't tell me Northerners ever did me any favors, I come from a family of fisherman who never wanted the stinking condos, restaurants or all the other junk built on the water; now I can't even see the water!

I would love for Florida to be a "Alabama South", because whatever an Alabama South is it's got to be better than what happened to us..or at least South of Marion County. Alabama is a state where neighbors help each other, people for the most part still have manners and folks care about tradition and have great respect for the past and those who came before them. Native Floridans do have a lot in common with Alabamians...just like Florida...theres good people in Alabama.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 AM

210 posts, read 664,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
The war ended in 1865, move on. Americans have the right to move anywhere in the nation that they please. This whole North-South thing is ridiculous considering we are in 2010. We Americans have much more important issues than that right now.
Sir, I never brought up the War Between the States; please take the time to read something before you comment on it.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And people like you make sure to keep it going.
Sorry to say it but, when up north you don't hear everyone running around whining about southerners. Spouting off complete ignorance of how people from the north ruined thier state, where are we? North and south Korea???? Maybe we should build a big Berlin type wall on the mason dixon line, would that help? Go to ANY of the northern forums and look for people whining about how everyone from the south is "ruining" thier state, you WILL NOT find it, because we are not stuck in the 1800's anymore up north. We figured the war is over, but some of us cannot give it up.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 AM

Without northerners coming here, this state would be even more of a joke than it is now financially. Don't bit the hand that feeds you....

Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Sorry to say it but, when up north you don't hear everyone running around whining about southerners.
Because there aren't very many Southerners moving north. Like NativeFloridian said, if we were moving up there in droves there certainly would be whining and complaining.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Sorry to say it but, when up north you don't hear everyone running around whining about southerners. Spouting off complete ignorance of how people from the north ruined thier state, where are we? North and south Korea???? Maybe we should build a big Berlin type wall on the mason dixon line, would that help? Go to ANY of the northern forums and look for people whining about how everyone from the south is "ruining" thier state, you WILL NOT find it, because we are not stuck in the 1800's anymore up north. We figured the war is over, but some of us cannot give it up.
Is maybe due to the fact that most southerners do not move north.
Take a look at interstate migration patterns and that will explain why northerners wouldn't be complaining about southerners ruining their state.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Without northerners coming here, this state would be even more of a joke than it is now financially. Don't bit the hand that feeds you....
How ironic.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 AM

558 posts, read 1,834,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
Sir, I never brought up the War Between the States; please take the time to read something before you comment on it.
I never stated that you brought up the "War Between the States". People move to Florida from all over the country and world yet you are focusing just on Northerners. It sounded a bit 1865-ish to me.

Maybe you should be upset with the natives for selling their land to developers in the first place. The "evil Northerners" didn't come down here and steal the land from the natives, the locals willingly sold the land to make money.

You'll still find a lot of Southern culture in Florida if you get away from the big cities. North FL and rural FL are still very southern. You'd fit right in with the natives here in Polk County. They blame Northerners for all the evils of the world too.

In my opinion the only people who should be upset is the Native American Indians who had their land stolen from them. Most so-called native Floridians don't really have deep roots in the state anyway.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Because there aren't very many Southerners moving north. Like NativeFloridian said, if we were moving up there in droves there certainly would be whining and complaining.
There were tons of Southerners who went northward looking for decent jobs and opportunity from about the 1930-40s through the late 60s/early 70s in order to work factory jobs.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM

Native americans are the ONLY people who should be upset with everyone screwing them over and taking thier land and ruining thier land....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida