Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy;
There used to be a bumper sticker that read "Welcome to Florida. Now go home!" What happened is that millions of people didn't pay attention to it.

I remember a popular one when we moved here when I was a kid: "If you <3 New York, take I-95 North"

My mom also recalls being pulled over when we first moved here.... she still had her New Jersey plates and the cop chewed her out to the effect of, "I don't know how it is in New Jersey, but here...."

Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Get a bumper sticker instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I remember a popular one when we moved here when I was a kid: "If you <3 New York, take I-95 North"

My mom also recalls being pulled over when we first moved here.... she still had her New Jersey plates and the cop chewed her out to the effect of, "I don't know how it is in New Jersey, but here...."
Perfectly legal, and makes your point. Or as my husband has, "New Yawker" vanity place, again, perfectly legal.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I put a bumper sticker on my car when I moved to Orlando when I first got here it said "Don't shoot! I'm not a tourist, I live here"....
That must have been in response to the one that said

"If it's season, why can't we shoot 'em?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Personally, I could care less what Floridians think of me, and since I have lived here for 3 years and own property and work here, I AM consider a "Floridian" by all legal instances, it is probably moot anyway.
If you own property, then you are paying property taxes and contributing to the schools, the police, firefighters, etc. Can you imagine if all the transplants moved out and didn't pay property tax?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There were tons of Southerners who went northward looking for decent jobs and opportunity from about the 1930-40s through the late 60s/early 70s in order to work factory jobs.
Very true, the "Great Migration" (mostly black Southerners), and there were plenty of Northerners back then fussing about it.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
There's really not much of a difference between "northerners" and "southerners."

Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Very true, the "Great Migration" (mostly black Southerners), and there were plenty of Northerners back then fussing about it.
That was 70 or 80 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are in 2010 I hope you know that? The world is a lot different now. We are talking about people in FL now(2010) whining about northerners.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's really not much of a difference between "northerners" and "southerners."
Thank you! People are people. Some look down upon northerners still like we are some class of lower citizens. I see a lot of NY'ers getting most of the brunt of it. I am from MA, then it's a "New Englander" thing... Like I said, maybe a big wall on the Mason Dixon line will help these people feel better. Lets go back to segregation.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 AM

749 posts, read 2,439,586 times
This whole thread is nonsense. You know, I've met folks from up North and had neighbors from up North that we're the good , decent people and met natives that we're completes azzes and visa-versa. No one region has a lock on producing jerks.... a jerk is a jerk no matter where their birthplace.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,538,684 times
I agree that this thread could be volatile......but as long as everyone is respectful, it seems to be holding some interest, since it is now over 20 pages.

I think the problem is that it is wrong to categorize groups of people, then say, "All (insert type)er's are _____."

I'm a lifelong NY'er. WESTERN NY'er. A place where there are more cows then people. I own a pick up truck. I do not resemble anyone from The Soprano's in looks or accent. I own acreage. I've never taken a taxi or a NY subway.

So I've bought a house in Florida. I pay double in taxes, although I'm only there, (for now) only two months a year. I do not get the homestead exemption. I'm not complaining at all.....that's just how it is. My taxes are 3x as high here in NY, so I look forward to being a full time Floridian.

When down in Florida, I do not try to change it. I'm leaving NY for many reasons....why would I want to make Florida like NY?

My neighbors down there have told us repeatedly that they are glad we are there and they feel we are indeed a asset to the neighborhood. All NY'ers are not alike.

Frank

Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
That was 70 or 80 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are in 2010 I hope you know that? The world is a lot different now. We are talking about people in FL now(2010) whining about northerners.
70 years ago, 2010, what's the difference? My point is there is always someone fussing about outsiders moving in to what they consider their territory. People in New Hampshire fuss about NY'ers moving there, people in rural Wisconsin fuss about urbanites from Chicago moving there, people in Idaho fuss about Californians moving there, people in Wyoming fuss about people from Denver moving there, and on an on.......

The reason we don't hear people in NY and NJ fuss is because very few people are moving to those states outside of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida