Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 04:54 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Mr. Real Estate Agent. It will only take about 20 more minutes driving from NYC to the Gulf coast of Florida than to the east coast Hell, it's even SHORTER than going from South Naples to North Naples. An't that amazing????

And speaking of Naples, it is so overrun with people from the NE, especially NYC. New Yorkers just LOVE the Gulf Coast of Florida. They are all FLOCKING down here and making all the real estate agents RICH. Hell, pretty soon there will be NOBODY left in the NE. Theywill all be SWARMING down to Florida, especially the GULF Coast.

Hey, Mr. Real Estate Agent, Wanna Buy a Bridge?
You really make no sense.

You post nonsense and get your panties in a bunch when it is pointed out.

Still can't find and thing to prove your statement I see so you resort to whatever your most recent post can be called.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae the Chef View Post
verobeach, are you a native Floridian?
No, do I have to be? I love Florida, I love New England, and I loved Chicago when we lived there.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,047 times
Why do Floridians dislike Northerners so much? Well, let's see.... they either drive like maniacs or they drive too slow, they overcrowd our Florida cities for months out of the year because they're cold and the second it heats up, they are gone. I guess my biggest problem is the cars. They drive way to fast, way to slow, they park like they are 17 and just stepped into a car. It's ridiculous, so why do Floridians dislike Northerners so much? I think any Floridian (true Floridan) could answer that.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,409 times
In Lakeland we all know when the snowbirds arrive, they clog up South Florida Ave and when they leave it is easy to drive down it. I have almost had accidents because a snowbird was in the far right lane and decided that they needed to turn left at the next light. Do they signal and check to see if they can get over safely? Nope, they just swerve over.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,314 times
I find this LONG...(too long) thread exasperating.

WHY ?

Simply because of the plethora of opinions not backed up with facts, and generalities.......

Folks, you may want to refrain from using the word "ALL" when describing ANY group of people. Some here exaggerate and throw out biased opinions without presenting facts.

I get the mental picture of spoiled brat kids fighting in a sandbox sometimes. You can't have it both ways. You don't like snowbirds, but you want to sell your house. You lament about neighborhoods going downhill, but don't want new folks invading YOUR state. You scream about the bad economy, but don't want tourism or "northern" money. You like not having a state tax, but hate tourists and tourism.

Some folks when you give them a $100 bill they complain because you folded it in half.

I personally have found my Florida neighbors to be some of the nicest people I've ever met. They welcomed us with open arms. I sometimes wonder if I had found this forum before I bought my Florida home, would I have bought it?

I'm a nice guy...(I really am). I enjoy helping neighbors, I listen more then I talk, and I enjoy being a positive, contributing asset, (instead of an ass) to my community. I find a mean streak here that is quite unsettling. I wonder if that mindset is contributing to some of Florida's problems.

Frank D.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:01 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I get the mental picture of spoiled brat kids fighting in a sandbox sometimes. You can't have it both ways. You don't like snowbirds, but you want to sell your house. You lament about neighborhoods going downhill, but don't want new folks invading YOUR state. You scream about the bad economy, but don't want tourism or "northern" money. You like not having a state tax, but hate tourists and tourism.
I thought the sandbox was right on. And I must agree with you. When I moved to Florida one thing I knew for sure was it was a tourist state and I expected the traffic. I think most of us could say we had vacationed here prior to moving so why expect anything different when you live here.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:42 AM

41 posts, read 171,978 times
Default Tolerance from All

I am a Southerner who married a Northerner (from NY) and although he is the sweetest man in the world, you would have thought that we grew up in different countries because our cultures are so different. Southerns (not all) tend to move slower, speak more quietly, say things more indirectly and give more personal space. Northerner (not all) tend to move more quickly, speak more loudly, say things more directly and personal space is closer. Neither of these is "wrong" - just a way of doing things that has evolved in each area for whatever reason. When I moved to Florida and was around many more Northerners than I ever had been, I had to learn not to be offended by their loudness and what I perceived as "pushiness". But, I do appreciate when Northerners learn that I am not stupid just because I speak with a Southern accent. So, I have learned to be more tolerant and adapt to my situation. My youngest son lives in NYC and when I am there, I pick up the pace and move faster and speak more directly. If you don't - it disturbs the flow of the city. But, I would ask that when people visit Key Largo, they slow down, take their time. Dial it back a notch. After all, as the sign says, "What's your hurry? You're Here."

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 AM

413 posts, read 1,368,409 times
Spagettio you said it perfectly. You have to adapt to where ever you are living. I love that sign about what's your hurry. It is so true.

I've talked to a few people who retired to Florida from NYC. I asked them how they liked living in NYC because I always thought how exciting to live there. They said they felt like a rat on a wheel constantly going nowhere. They couldn't imagine ever going back.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
IMO the reason is that the few natives that live here are resentful that their entire economy depends on "outsiders".

And because they take such great pride in being "laid back" they completely turned over their entire state (for decades) to the politicians who promoted the state to turn into a low income service sector, enjoy the lowest graduation rates in the country, savage the open spaces, overbuild every single square foot with condos where a single house used to sit, and encourage every place to be a "destination". We wont even go INTO the immigration issues. And the Miami attitude that anyone who isn't Hispanic is a TOURIST. Even if you were born there.

Just look at Fort Lauderdale. From 1940's till around 1980's it was a destination for spring break and when the residents couldn't take it anymore it swung to "family destination" and NOW it proclaims it wants to be a CONVENTION destination. Nothing for real people living real lives in a real community.

The "natives" have themselves to "blame" imo. Apathy and "laidbackness" caused your problems. And of course, politics but politics are YOU. But that doesn't mitigate your prejudices. Even the vet tech at my local place told me she had to immediately work on her Boston accent because people here were so rude to her about it.

You "natives' reap the rewards of our Northern dollars. Even though Northern dollar people come here, promote FL and love FL. You don't even know who's a native or not. I have a Phila accent but my family lived here since the 1920's and my immediate family since 1960 when I was a kid. My brother was born here. Several family members have roots here.

I just bought a condo in FL for cash. How many "natives" just did? Would you prefer every subdivision get bulldozed? (I personally wouldn't mind, but it's hyperbole)

Maybe if you "natives" had a little initiative and would start some small businesses, hire local NATIVES, improve your communities, SEND YOUR KIDS TO SCHOOL instead of dropping OUT, and exercise your privilege to VOTE your NATIVE population would be able to sustain the state without depending on the mean old bad driving Northerners.

BTW, the NJ graduation rate in 2005 was 83% as it was in 2001....way above the national average of 70% while Florida's was 60% (up from 53% 2001).

NJ is and has always been a huge HUB for Fortune 500 companies and small businesses.

And you think businesses are going to come to Florida to build a different economy not to mention FL doesn't want to pay incentives? This state's challenges are complex and bit#hing about how people drive just illustrates the complete lack of rational analysis ...maybe it's just venting... (and yes, I hate sitting in traffic for 20 minutes at an intersection, too)

Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,136 times
My opinion is that if you are nice to people, they will more than likely be nice to you. If it's not recipricated, or people from certain areas of the country tend to be pushy and rude, that idea probably isnt going to change unless the people change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida