Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Thanks for validating my response, the shoe seems to fit well.
I am with you on that. Some people on here are just riding the short bus.... Done arguing with complete ignorance. On to heat hating!!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Hostilities began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces attacked a US military installation at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. Lincoln responded by calling for a volunteer army from each state, leading to declarations of secession by four more Southern slave states. Both sides raised armies as the Union assumed control of the border states early in the war and established a naval blockade. In September 1862, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation made ending slavery in the South a war goal,[1] and dissuaded the British from intervening.[2]
Confederate commander Robert E. Lee won battles in the east, but in 1863 his northward advance was turned back with heavy casualties after the Battle of Gettysburg. To the west, the Union gained control of the Mississippi River after their capture of Vicksburg, Mississippi, thereby splitting the Confederacy in two. The Union was able to capitalize on its long-term advantages in men and material by 1864 when Ulysses S. Grant fought battles of attrition against Lee, while Union general William Tecumseh Sherman captured Atlanta, Georgia, and marched to the sea. Confederate resistance collapsed after Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865.

Looks to me like the north /south thing ended in 1865???? Very wierd how some of us are still stuck on that civil war stuff when the north won...? Hmmmm?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
but if all the transplants did that, where would that leave you?
I'm sure all of "so called native Floridians" would manage.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 PM

228 posts, read 537,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
speak the way I do, real TREES. pace of life, etc.
Case and point right here. Here you have a transplant that seems irritated and disgruntled because FL does speak the way you do, has different trees, and different pace of life, from the so called "real thing". It's the same ole "not like back home" mentality that gives you a bad rap. The sooner you realize FL is different, and always will be, the better off you will be.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 PM

228 posts, read 537,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Thanks for validating my response, the shoe seems to fit well.
No problem, thanks for digging the hole a little deeper.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
HaHa...I was born here, my parents were both born here, and every generation on both sides except one my great-great grandfather (from Georgia) were here before Florida was even a state...so don't talk to me about Floridans not being here very long. One of my ancestors signed the Florida Constitution in Port St. Joe so I'd say I'm pretty well settled here. And if you want to bring up the War of Northern Aggression then lets; every ancestor on all sides of my family fought for the Confederacy, Florida was #3 to succeed and their are plenty of Floridans who would proudly defend their state today if yall decided to attack us again. ANd the reason I'm focusing on Northerners is because it is the subject of this thread and secondly because non-northerners who move here usually share enough in common with us that we get along fine. One of my best friends moved to Florida from Montana and I know so people who are very nice people in my neighborhood from Wyoming. And I also have many latin friends...they share our same bond of family, respect for tradition, principles of loyalty, honor and brotherhood.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang Bubba, I have a good amount of redneck in me but WOW this is funny. You really are stuck in the 1800's.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
HaHa...I was born here, my parents were both born here, and every generation on both sides except one my great-great grandfather (from Georgia) were here before Florida was even a state...so don't talk to me about Floridans not being here very long. One of my ancestors signed the Florida Constitution in Port St. Joe so I'd say I'm pretty well settled here. And if you want to bring up the War of Northern Aggression then lets; every ancestor on all sides of my family fought for the Confederacy, Florida was #3 to succeed and their are plenty of Floridans who would proudly defend their state today if yall decided to attack us again. ANd the reason I'm focusing on Northerners is because it is the subject of this thread and secondly because non-northerners who move here usually share enough in common with us that we get along fine. One of my best friends moved to Florida from Montana and I know so people who are very nice people in my neighborhood from Wyoming. And I also have many latin friends...they share our same bond of family, respect for tradition, principles of loyalty, honor and brotherhood.

Some people just can’t see the forest. . . 'Lakeland Yankee said it best, the ones that should be upset are the real natives, the American Indians'.

The majority of the people that move to Florida are hard working law abiding citizens and you’d have to be judge, jury and executioner to think that you have the right to expect others to live by your standards, traditions, family values, principles, honor, brotherhood, etc., it’s actually ludicrous to say to least.

My ancestors fought in ours wars defending this country, America was founded on these freedoms and I’ll be damned if anyone can tell me how to act, talk, dress, behave, what traditions and principles to live by, etc all because I am from the north, south, east or west.

In the end, we have to live together and should embrace/respect our differences, because no matter where people come from, we have more in common than we know or care to admit.

Hey FL Developer. . .In America we don’t adapt, this is not a third world nation... the concept is simple::: we live and let live.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
I had a patient in home care who was terminally ill call me a "yankee" when I came to check on him. Here he was so ill and he had to mutter maybe one of the last "yankee's" out of his mouth! I thought that interesting--it runs very deep for some people. But sad, that that was all he could think of at a time like that...

Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,678 times
This is an interesting topic. Feminist ethics says its impossible for people not to be biased towards others. I try not to be biased toward anyone reguardless or race, religion or whatever it might be and do well until it comes to that certain Boston, Jersey, and NY attitude. The kind that calls a car a "Caaa" and talks so fast your head spins. The kind that does nothing but tells you how it works up north (if you like it there so much, GO back).

I think you know what I'm trying to describe and while I dont hate them, I usually do not get along with them at all. I have met plenty of people from up there that does not act like that, and I have no issues with them.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
This is an interesting topic. Feminist ethics says its impossible for people not to be biased towards others. I try not to be biased toward anyone reguardless or race, religion or whatever it might be and do well until it comes to that certain Boston, Jersey, and NY attitude. The kind that calls a car a "Caaa" and talks so fast your head spins. The kind that does nothing but tells you how it works up north (if you like it there so much, GO back).

I think you know what I'm trying to describe and while I dont hate them, I usually do not get along with them at all. I have met plenty of people from up there that does not act like that, and I have no issues with them.
Well we from western MA do NOT talk like Bostonians, no accent at all. I could care less how it is done enywhere in fact. Actually people from Eastern MA make fun of us out in western MA, and call us hillbillies, rednecks, etc. Florida is Florida and I have grown to "adapt" to how it is here, I still remained true to myself a yankee, Florida was never "home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida