Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsforchrist View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?

On the remote chance you might return to your topic what place in Florida did you find to be the best place to live and work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,472 times
Thank you for your comments. Of course we all prefer the positive ones

It's a shame some of you find the need to insult any writer on this forum. There is no need for insulting anyone you don't agree with or like. You don't know me at all. But you proved my point about how angry people are in FL, so really, thank YOU! You are the epitome of everything I wrote about. Oh, epitome means, “a typical or ideal example of something or someone”.

Thank you for enjoying my posts. I will be returning soon with more ammo, aka pics.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:02 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,389,278 times
Careful FLSucks, if you keep posting blunt truths that don't agree with the pervasive delusional mentality around here, you'll start getting censored.

Oh btw, what Spring Hillian touched on was that you probably meant that FL is an At-Will employment state, not a Right-To-Work one. IMO that's a good thing. Yes, they can fire you at any moment for any reason, but conversely you can WALK at any time, for any reason.

Don't bend to the will of the forum's cheerleaders. Some people can't handle that some of us prefer to not sugar coat life.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,850 times
if you're african american and can stand the heavy oppression and stings from racism, you'll be ok. if not, stay yo black ass wherever you are because there are some rude crude crackers in florida!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,423 times
wanting to relocate to Florida from Georgia.......am I making a crazy move?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,389 times
I wish I could leave too

Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,389 times
The main reason people stay in FL (especailly Miami) is becasue we have all our famileis here. The latin community (like mine) we just can't move away from each ther. Otherwise I would be the heck outa here. BTW.. It's true that California is more expensive but they also pay more.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,375 times
Default A Lifestyle

Florida is a lifestyle that some just arent able to live with. You will not see the seasons change because this is a tropical climate. Lots of people plan there life according to how they want to live when they retire and when they do, Florida is one of their choices. There are some great areas to live in but IMO the best and most scenic areas are on the coasts. Everything is a trade-off meaning you may sacrifice an abundance of high paying jobs that you may find out of state for great weather and low crime when compared to any other major metropolitan area. Yes there are lots of immigrants and South Florida has an abundance of them. WE ARE ALL EQUAL. Some cultures just dont understand and respect how other cultures may live. If you've had the chance to travel to just about every area in the state as I have, thanks to my old job, you will come to realize that most people are not from Florida, they just moved here. I've personally noticed that more and more residents from South Floridia have migrated to the North Florida area, maybe because it's alot quieter and its not as fast paced as So. FL and alot more spread out. Unfortunately its also not as many jobs. Most importantly you yourself will determine what area is best for you numerous factors will also help you decide such as age, income, and family. South Florida is beautiful but expensive, it's also fast paced when compared to the rest of the state. Mid/Central Florida with the exception of Orlando is somewhat spread out and has lots of low crime and cheap areas but not as many opportunities as other areas when it comes to jobs and entertainment. Orlando has more opportunities, jobs and entertainment but over the past 7 years the crime rate has skyrocketed. Crime has gotten a lil better but not friendly Ol Orlando as it once was. What you will find about Orlando is that lots of people live in the small surrounding communities and commute to the city for work and entertainment. Unfortunately Infrastructure is a huge problem so the city has traffic nightmares i.e the train running through downtown Orlando!. Obviously no one is looking for a high crime area, but crime can happen anywhere at anytime. The Daytona area has seen better days! Small areas like Melbourne-Palm Bay and The Port St. lucie are nice and laid back but mostly houses and little to do. One of Florida's best kept secrets is the Melbourne-Palm Bay area, basically SOUTH Brevard County. Traffic is great, the beach areas are not Palm Beach, but they are nice and clean and get packed during vacation times, nice clubs around town to go out i.e downtown Melbourne, but other than that the high paying jobs and entertainment are scarce which does cause some to move away. Unless your wealthy, Most people make a living elsewhere in the US and have a second home in Florida. We call them Snowbirds. As a 20 year resident ive seen 2 things here, wealthy people and people who make a decent living here. The problem with the people who only make a decent living here learn that once they want to go to the "Next Level" or make life changes i.e career move, they sometimes end up having to move out of state to get what they want due to the limited opportunities. All in all Florida is a great place but as with anything you have to take the good with the bad

Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
BTW, FL is a right to work state as well as an employment at will state.

Stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Careful FLSucks, if you keep posting blunt truths that don't agree with the pervasive delusional mentality around here, you'll start getting censored.

Oh btw, what Spring Hillian touched on was that you probably meant that FL is an At-Will employment state, not a Right-To-Work one. IMO that's a good thing. Yes, they can fire you at any moment for any reason, but conversely you can WALK at any time, for any reason.

Don't bend to the will of the forum's cheerleaders. Some people can't handle that some of us prefer to not sugar coat life.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSucks1 View Post
Welcome to St. Petersburg located in Pinellas County, Florida!

It's always sunny, little rain, very humid & lots & lots of oak trees. Hope you don't have allergies. It will be a problem.

First things first. Do you have reliable transportation? You will need one here. Buses only run until 10pm. You will probably need a 2nd job if you live here & coming alone because we have one of the lowest salaries in the nation & most of the jobs available are telemarketing or stripping. You have to be a good salesman here; on the phone or naked...or both.

There are no payphones here at all, not even in the malls, so please have a cell phone or a friend to pick you up. You can walk home but we don't have sidewalks, no not one. It's all "green", well more brown than green. Our dog owners don't really care about the lawns & the city doesn't really care too much either.

You need a car. If you don't have one, you can buy one but remember we do NOT have a Lemon Law, so you will get screwed no matter where you go for a car here.

Well, you don't have a car yet, you have to walk everywhere. Sorry about that. Well, try to walk in the day time. Most of the streets are not well lit, which explains why so many pedestrians get killed walking here. But you can invest in a bike. Unfortunately, that statistic is just as high for vehicular homicides. Oh, & if you have a motorcycle, lucky you don't have to wear a helmet here, which also explains the death toll.

A lot of the older drivers who can't even walk to their cars are still allowed to drive here, so they won't see you through their non-existent peripheral vision nor will they hear you through their hearing aids. The DMV here does NOT feel it necessary to retest an older driver. You can renew & you are good to go!!! Still driving at 95? You betcha! Look at grandma go! WHOA! Was that a speed bump?

Okay, so you need a place to live. North, South, East or West? The streets here are all marked like that & we love our names too, along with dead ends & no U-Turns. You will get lost. Invest in a GPS. Trust me.

That's a nice apt complex, right? You will have to download Watchdog, especially if you have kids. There are TONS of pedophiles living in St. Petersburg, FL! Please check out your neighbors before moving in & that includes apartment complexes where you will find drug dealers, hookers & meth/roxy addicts galore. The office won't mention it, of course, they only want you to pay. Getting in is never an issue if you have money, no matter what background you're trying to hide.

Best way to check? Drive by at night. Make sure you have your windows rolled up all the way, especially if you're on the South side & check out your new neighbors. Are they pointing a gun at you? Probably. Keep driving & don't turn your head.

Maybe you prefer the West side, by the water? Get ready to pay NYC apt prices & rental insurance for the water damage you will have. Doesn't matter where you live really, St. Petersburg is full of flood zones. Check out your zones before investing any money. You will be evacuated in our many hurricane bluffs.

North is better but you are still in St. Petersburg, so really, you're still a loser. Anything with a 727 area code is pretty much beat.

You have a place, a car that's making all kinds of noises & you can't take it anywhere because there are so many small businesses here that are unethical, it's scary. Hope you can fix your own car.

You need a job. If you have 2-3 hrs a day to blow on temp agencies, please go. Let's see, there are so many to choose from, they are all the same. They will test you, promise you & low ball you to death. And when your food runs out & bills need to get paid, don't say I didn't warn you because these agencies will not call...unless you like Telemarketing work.

Florda is a "Right to Work" state, meaning they can fire you for the color of your tie & the way you smile.

If you choose to move to St. Petersburg, it would help if you come with a lot of money, a lot of time, no children, no pets and prepared for everything to be slower than normal, more annoying than normal, deal with annoying & incredibly ignorant people, low lives, drug addicts, racists & angry people in general.

FACT: St. Petersburg was ranked as the most angriest city in the nation. I don't make this up.

FACT: St. Petersburg salaries do not match living expenses unless you are coming in with cash & degrees in hand. And if you have a degree, don't be surprised to share a cubicle with someone with absolutely no education, who will do the same job as you at half the pay. You will probably get laid off.

FACT: US 19 - When you see women walking with water bottles on the street, usually very dirty looking, sometimes barefoot baring sores & visible track marks; those are our hookers.

If you aren't running yet, then call the SPPD when you need something.
hahaha.. I had to upvote this post due to the smarky and brutally honest way it's presented. It made me think about where I live, though it's cold I have a great job for my skillset and crime is practically zero, I certainly could be worse off.

Sometimes I'm amazed how people get by in america.. it seems there's no manufacturing left that pays anything, even white collar sit on your butt and surf the net work is hit or miss in pay, and people don't seem to mind living at work, whereas I try to get as little overtime as possible and live as cheap as possible with a base salary of $19.50 an hour it's not too hard for me. I'd rather live in a shack than pay sky high property taxes too... and no commuting, I live 2 miles, or 6 minutes, from work. My rent is $515 all utilities paid, for a one bedroom that is super quiet the entire time I've been in it.. consider myself grateful in a way, but it is an isolated, flat area with not much in the way of nature, so it's a tradeoff. Fortunately I enjoy the net, reading, movies, the course, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida