Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctheibault View Post
Funny, here we are plotting our way out of Florida, after only one year. We live in Jacksonville, which is a cesspool to be reckoned with. We now miss the changing of the seasons (even the 4' of snow we endured) back in Western MD; the cheap rent, affordable groceries and friendliest folks on the planet. I may have worked sporadically, but I could still afford cigarettes and beer. Now , here in the heat of remorse, I compete with unskilled workers that are willing to do a ****ty job for half of my pay, and that seems to be acceptable among service providers and clientele alike. SO! After unloading all of our worldly possessions and leaving our friends and loved ones behind, we blindly loaded our 4 dogs into a beat-up 1975 22' Dodge RV and headed south. Well, my kind and patient readers, we are more than ready to do it all over again (suffering the insufferable yard sale menageries; nit-pickers and low-ballers) just to get the **** out of FLORIDA with a smile on our faces as we leave the Sunshine State in the fading sunset on a journey BACK to where we whence came, knowing all who wither behind me will only be able to catch a passing glimpse of my vertical smile....(:P)
I agree with Jambo.

Please post your situation that led you to move to Florida. This will be helpful to folks wanting to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 61,934 times
i lived in pa for 43 yrs moved to fl with my wife and child lived there for little over a year worked for 6mo.lost my job could not find work any where fast food was even hireing i live in a town called zephyrhills is about 45mins north of tampa we moved back to pa and found a job in two weeks of being back other words make sure you have a job before you move because workSUCKS down there and if you dont like bugs bad place to live bugs are bad ask any1 who lives in fl about the love bugs they suck they get into ever thig the hourly wage sucks to so if you still want to move there good luck i will not move back and drivees down there r a bunch of a holes ever1 tailgateing you can be doing 90 and they r still rideing ur ass

Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
FAR's September 2011 numbers by metro area are in for existing single family and condo.

Florida Sales Report - April 2004 (yes, I know the title says April 2004- it's always messed up that way for those reports)

Most expensive single family by median sales price:

1. Ft. Lauderdale (188K)
2. Ft. Walton Beach (183K)
3. West Palm Beach (180K)
4. Miami (176K)
5. Tallahassee (168K)

Least expensive single family by median sales price:

1. Ocala (73K)
2. Punta Gorda (98K)
3. Lakeland-Winter Haven (103K)
4. Daytona Beach (105K)
5. Melbourne-Palm Bay (107K)

Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2lisa View Post
i lived in pa for 43 yrs moved to fl with my wife and child lived there for little over a year worked for 6mo.lost my job could not find work any where fast food was even hireing i live in a town called zephyrhills is about 45mins north of tampa we moved back to pa and found a job in two weeks of being back other words make sure you have a job before you move because workSUCKS down there and if you dont like bugs bad place to live bugs are bad ask any1 who lives in fl about the love bugs they suck they get into ever thig the hourly wage sucks to so if you still want to move there good luck i will not move back and drivees down there r a bunch of a holes ever1 tailgateing you can be doing 90 and they r still rideing ur ass
At least we teach punctuation here.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,645 times
Dude, there are some bitter people on this thread. Some folks never seem to be able to change course from making poor life choices.

More folks need to plan better to make their dreams happen, and readjust if things don't go as planned. Often times people continue to make bad choices wherever they go so moving to a new place doesn't make their lives any easier.

We would probably target the Sarasota area for a move to SW FL. It's not the cheapest place in FL, but we've taken the time and made the sacrifices to make good choices to financially establish ourselves where we are, so making a move would certainly be doable when the time is right. The Sarasota area's size and amenities seem to fit us well.

We're in no hurry to leave where we are now, and will only do so if it makes sense. Delaying the gratification of living in a place we will like better is certainly worth waiting for.

I love lizards and critters and and stuff so they wouldn't bother me in FL. I was disappointed that I didn't even see one toad here in WI this summer.

I'm heading over the "success story" thread. I'll see the positive folks over there.

Last edited by Ragnar; 10-26-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 74,448 times
Thank You Beachcruzer, your post is the most intelegent and logical, you posted this in 2007 and boy did you hit the nail on the head with your prediction, look at what is going on down there now. It makes much sense to live near Jacksonville and Orlando if you have to work and even if you are retired because if you do decide to sell I feel your turnover time would be quicker and your homes equity would stay somewhat stable, it's pure smart logic even in a bad economy. I like the change of seasons but would not miss it, and if you really ache for wearing a scarf or mucklucks you can always get on a plane and fly to Boston or Portland Maine in February. I typed in great places to live in Florida and this is where it lead me to, this has been quite an amusing read. The thing most people do not think about is insurances and the additional cost after purchasing a home like what layer you are in for your flood insurance premium's. There really is no such thing as the perfect area, I think what is important is areas with a strong sense of community, low crime, areas that are withing walking distances to shopping and conveniences and clean communities. Research all areas based on what you are looking for and go vist and talk to the residents, call the chamber of commerce or the cities visitor burea. LKM

Old 11-13-2011, 12:45 AM

8 posts, read 65,989 times
Default Moving to Florida!

Hello, I currently live in Kentucky and I am looking to relocate to Florida July 2012. My mother and two of my brothers live in Jacksonville and my sisters live in Tallahassee. I'm undecided about where to go. My choice is Jacksonville or West Palm Beach. Keep in mind that i'm married with three kids under the age of 6. With that being said, which is a better place to live? I'm looking for better jobs, more opportunities, place to raise kids, and entertainment.

Kentucky is an OK state, but there isn't alot of opportunities here for African Americans. My husband and myself would like to try something new and different. Any advice? All will be helpful. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,207,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts123fisher View Post
Hello, I currently live in Kentucky and I am looking to relocate to Florida July 2012. My mother and two of my brothers live in Jacksonville and my sisters live in Tallahassee. I'm undecided about where to go. My choice is Jacksonville or West Palm Beach. Keep in mind that i'm married with three kids under the age of 6. With that being said, which is a better place to live? I'm looking for better jobs, more opportunities, place to raise kids, and entertainment.

Kentucky is an OK state, but there isn't alot of opportunities here for African Americans. My husband and myself would like to try something new and different. Any advice? All will be helpful. Thanks.
Jacksonville, but you will fall in love with West Palm

Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 52,916 times
I lived on the Treasure Coast (Port Saint Lucie/Stuart/Hobe Sound) for most of my life. Housing is somewhat affordable, it close to the beaches, but as far as jobs go, good luck! Like any state there is crime, but its not unsafe unless you go around deliberately looking for trouble in bad neighborhoods. It does get VERY hot during the majority of months throughout the year, for some it is tolerable, for others it is not. It is full of older people, who can't drive, so be prepared to get into some accidents. The drivers there are NOT polite, you have to fend for yourself on the road and try not to get into a yelling match while driving down the road! :P I would suggest learning Spanish even if just enough to get you by, because it would definitely come in handy! But on the plus side, it is beautiful in most parts of the cities, well maintained, many events, great seafood, etc. Just be prepared for the heat, finding a job, and if your used to southern hospitality, you might get your feelings hurt ha! Good luck with whatever you decide

Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 51,805 times
hi me and my mother are new to fl been here since august. we came from southern Il about a hour away from STL MO. a very RURAL area farm community nothing to do for young people. my unlce has lived in niceville fl area for about 30 years and loves it. i think what we were kinda surprised about was the miniumen you could find to pay rent was $1,000 and we live in 1,000 sq feet apartment and with that i will say the beaches are beauitful its clean low crime great middle high school and state college. but the miltary is what hurts you here, my mom gets paid less being a nurse and my insuerance is doubled along with rent. also i was surprised to find that there really is not alot here yes you have restaraunts, beaches, and shopping places but thats about it, we found that from vacationing here the last ten years we really seen it all being tourists of destin. we have recently been doing research on areas north of tampa or between orlando just that whole area really. i will be starting college in august. were hoping that the tampa area has more what were looking for. we been planning this move for years and now that were here we were a little shocked hoping and praying were just in the wrong area. would love to stay in FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida