Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,039 times

Advertisements

I agree with BacktoFlorida...I lived in San Diego for 18 years..Moved back to East Coast due to my mom being ill..I found a great place on the beach in FLorida..I have worked inEducation for 15 years and was paid more (45K) than anywhere I have lived AND the cost of living is cheap!! As far as kids, I have 2 young ones..YOu have to look for the school that is best for your children adn go to the board of ed and fight (if you have to) to get them in!!! Nothing comes easy but living in FL is easier than CA, NY, NJ and other big metro areas...Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM

102 posts, read 218,039 times
I live in South Florida but I think you should rule it out.I'm moving as soon as I can afford it because I just cannot afford to live here anymore.It's really expensive and housing is through the roof unless you want to live in a slum.The job market is non existent.
North Florida is nice though and cheaper than South Florida.North of Orlando around the Altamonte Springs area is lovely and the people there are friendly.The Panhandle is another good choice if you can find work.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrdhd View Post
I live in South Florida but I think you should rule it out.I'm moving as soon as I can afford it because I just cannot afford to live here anymore.It's really expensive and housing is through the roof unless you want to live in a slum.The job market is non existent.
North Florida is nice though and cheaper than South Florida.North of Orlando around the Altamonte Springs area is lovely and the people there are friendly.The Panhandle is another good choice if you can find work.
Don't you live in Palm Beach Gardens? Home prices and rents are dramatically lower than just a few years ago!

If you're still paying the same for home owner's insurance as you were a couple years ago, you need to call an INDEPENDENT agent immediately and SWITCH!

Sorry folks, but it's not 2006 anymore with the "cost of living" arguments. If you don't like the jobs, weather, or minorities.... have at it, as it's an opinion, BUT it is cheaper to live in PBC than it was a few years ago, and that is a FACT.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 PM

I live in PBG and it is expensive here no matter how you slice it,unless you are making a great living.We aren't.We are blue collar.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I live in PBG and it is expensive here no matter how you slice it,unless you are making a great living.We aren't.We are blue collar.
But you COULD afford it 5 years ago? The "unaffordability train" left the station a looong time ago, and is now getting a bit more comfortable. The unintended consequences of the housing boom and subsequent bust.

Besides, Palm Beach Gardens is an upscale city, with a generally high median income. It's not exactly typical.

According to government data, the average salary for jobs in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida is $41,633, and the median income of households in Palm Beach Gardens was $59,776.

Palm Beach Gardens Jobs (FL) | Simply Hired

There are more affordable options than the Gardens. North Palm Beach, Lake Park, etc. Even parts of Jupiter and Tequesta.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Things to consider:

The Best And Worst Cities To Look For A Job

State by state: Who’s got health insurance and who doesn’t - CNNMoney.com

Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
But you COULD afford it 5 years ago? The "unaffordability train" left the station a looong time ago, and is now getting a bit more comfortable. The unintended consequences of the housing boom and subsequent bust.

Besides, Palm Beach Gardens is an upscale city, with a generally high median income. It's not exactly typical.

According to government data, the average salary for jobs in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida is $41,633, and the median income of households in Palm Beach Gardens was $59,776.

Palm Beach Gardens Jobs (FL) | Simply Hired

There are more affordable options than the Gardens. North Palm Beach, Lake Park, etc. Even parts of Jupiter and Tequesta.
Whatever dude.You don;'t have any idea who I am or what I am dealing with right now.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Whatever dude.You don;'t have any idea who I am or what I am dealing with right now.
You're right. I don't. Which is why I suggest not assuming YOUR position or issues is "typical" or what most can expect. Some, maybe, yes. All? No.

That's all I ever ask.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
The Panhandle is another good choice if you can find work.
Panhandle has about the third highest housing costs in the state right now after Naples and the Miami-WPB corridor. (No, those numbers are not from 2004. FAR just screwed up the year/month in the title)

Florida Sales Report - April 2004

The average home price where I live is $50-$90K MORE than what you'd pay in Central Florida, and wages are slightly less than what you'd get there unless you luck into a federal civil service job.

They never had the massive overbuilding here like they did in other parts of the state, so prices seem to be stabilizing sooner and higher than elsewhere.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Panhandle has about the third highest housing costs in the state right now after Naples and the Miami-WPB corridor. (No, those numbers are not from 2004. FAR just screwed up the year/month in the title)

Now that is interesting.That was one area hubs and I were thinking about moving since we thought it mightbe cheaper than south Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida