Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDPandJPP View Post
Hello Everyone, We are moving to FL this spring. We have been living in the DC area for 12 years. I used to live in Daytona Beach for 10 years (middle school and high school included). I don't want to go back to my old life. I want to have new experiences with my family. Our requirements are that we live with in 30 minutes of an international airport, and be around diverse, educated people--and a beach would be nice! Some place with Character......We don't have to live in a McMansion neighborhood. We have been considering Cape Canveral, Melbourne, and Sarasota............any suggestions....??? Are there any places I should include in the search?
Research Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
property tax bill - close to $4000
that's reality, unfortunately

here is reality. In central Ohio(columbus) we will be paying $5500 for property taxes. They keep passing all the school levy's.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,532 times
Default janiethebirdlady

I am 45 and plan on moving either by myself or with my sister who is about 7 years older than me.I want to buy a house and always wanted to live in fla. but with all the neg. feedback I'm reading I'm confused.How much are the taxes and how much would it cost to buy a house in say the nw are of fla. please help,very confused.jaynejenness@yahoo.com

Old 02-16-2009, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 13,468 times
Talking back home

looking to move back to florida. thinking clearwater, but had home in west palm beach. married now one kid 16yrs old girl. need info on schools and area.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM

7 posts, read 91,494 times
We are also thinking of moving to Florida in August in the Panhandle. Do you know anything about the Niceville area? Also, do you know anything about how much nurses make down there and if jobs are available? I've been to Chipley several times. My sister in law lives there...they run Hamilton Canines. have you ever heard of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis_shonta View Post
It depends. How much do you make? Will you be the only one with income coming into the house???

In my opinion, if you want to move to Florida, the Panhandle is the best. The cost of housing is low. I live in a small city called Chipley, which is an hour west of Tallahassee. Here, the cost of living is reasonable. South Florida is very high though. Chipley is located in Washington County. Low crime rates. Warm weather. Everyone knows evryone type of community. Last year, Chipley High's grade was B. They grade the schools. There's a beach about an hour away in Panama City Beach.

If you want to move to Florida, try to Panhandle.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 16,204 times
Hi everyone! I am planning to move to Florida this year. I have been reading over all these posts and have a little bit better idea now of the areas there. Thank you. I wanted to give some more info and see if if anyone can help me get a little more targeted in on places that will fit me and my husband.

We are both mid-twenties, recently married. We have no kids and are not planning to for quite a while. I have my own business and make around 50k a year working from home. Projected earnings will be around 65k by the time we move. He currently works as a government road surveyor and makes around 20k a year. He would prefer a similar job there. We currently live in Mississippi and he is from a small town here. I am from Santa Cruz, CA (I know about HIGH prices!) and I really really do not like it here. I hate the cold and being away from the beach and the amenities are well, there are none. We must live close to the beach (preferably within 15 minutes max). We are both semi-pro pool players. We like riding atv's. Love music, all kinds. Love trying new foods. I am a vegetarian, he is not. Hot weather is not a problem. Diversity is not a problem. We will need a good sized apartment (at least 1500sq ft) to accomodate my office. We have 2 cats. According to the housing calculator someone posted (thank you!) we can afford around $1700 a month but of course would prefer not to. In my research of Clearwater and West Palm Beach there are many units with high sq footage for $800-1200 a month (ghetto?). Would prefer tolerable traffic. And of course the basics like not getting shot and robbed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to research?

Thank so much in advance for any help.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 19,360 times
Does anyone live in Suwannee? If so would appreciate your view on the area...

jbright - Advantgages/Disadvantages for Clearwater
Advantages - the beach! Clearwater beach is nice, close to Tampa (which has a lot of cool things to do - Busch Gardens, Bucs - Lightning, night life, Performing Art Center...), Orlando is about 2 hours away..
Disadvantages - Traffic sucks!, to touristy for my taste....

Never been to West Palm Beach....

And for all the people reading all the negative feedback, these people are probaly homebodies, there is so much to do here it is insane! You got Beaches, Amusement Parks, Pro Sports Teams galore, tampa has some cool spots - channel side, ybor ect.... I will say tho that there are bad areas, but isn't there bad areas in every state? Ohh and there are rednecks... ha ha ha.. If you are an outdoor person who likes to actually get out of the house no place better than florida....
The property taxes might be high in certain areas but there is no state tax... They get you one way or the other...

Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 19,360 times
Also.... I have rented all my life and started to look into buying a house because of the huge drop in prices and have noticed it depends on the house... Property tax on a 3 bedroom 2ba 1500 sq house in this area is 6000 a year and the same house a block over is 2,000 grand a year...

Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 18,158 times
i hear wintersprings fl is a good place...any feedback?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 13,025 times
This thread seams to have died down but here goes....45yo, recently divorced, 2 kids going into 11th and 6th grade, no degrees, no job refer.....my husband and I had built a commercial landscaping co. and did very nicely here in Fld County CT. (very expensive)450k home, 8k in property taxes. BUT now need to move looking at the Eustis,Taveres area in the north FL area. Thats where my mom is. And W.Palm Beach is where my best friend is in a nice community west of I95. Though both in Fl they are such different places. Would just like to hear from some people from either place about the schools, work choice, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida