Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusExp View Post
Okay, so we are considering a move to South West Florida this year. We currently live in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area. I work out of my home, and my wife works in healthcare. We have a 12 year old son. Any suggestions that would be a good place for a family of three. After some initial research there does not seem to be much of a difference in cost of living expenditures. Other than possibly Hurricane insurance. We have a couple reasons for wanting to move to SW Fl, weather and my mother lives in Naples.
What field of healthcare is your wife in?

What is your housig budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,936 times
Don't be so hard on the midwest! "You get what you pay for?" LOL!

Being single/no kids, I LOVE Florida and go then often on weekends. Expensive? Can you say foreclosure?!! LOL! Ft Myers has $260k houses 2 yrs old selling for $40k cash at auctions right now (April 2011). My ex-cleaning lady moved to Coral Gables with her retiring husband. They only paid $54k for a house foreclosure. My friend in Boca Raton paid $48k cash for a beautiful condo in a gated community. He just bought 40 acres on a foreclosure in Tallahasse.

But I live in Overland Park, KS, an affluent suburb of (Johnson County) Kansas City on the Kansas side. I have a gorgeous apt, 18' bedroom with big walk-in closet, 11' bathroom, vaulted ceilings, 8 1/2' w white brick/brass fireplace, 10x17' patio with privacy fence/triple doors overlooking landscaped courtyard & pool, 1 bd/1 bath apt for $640 month. 7' wide marble vanity/sink in bathroom. Water, sewer, trash and heat are paid. I only pay $31 mth light bill (goes to $61 during 2 mths of hot summer running central a/c). Year-end total light bill was $441, which I pay once a year. WHERE ELSE can you get that?!! We also have beaches at numerous surrounding lakes & Oceans of Fun / Worlds of Fun, Legends tourist spot with everything including The Schlitterbaum water fun, hills, farms (if you drive way out), ALL the great stores both luxury & middle class, numerous museums, great schools and colleges, every convenience & numerous exceptional medical facilities. New contemporary museums going up. We have the Country Club Plaza covered with beautiful water fountains and completely lit at Christmas on Kansas City, MO side (google it). 20 miles to the airport.

$640 month - that's why I can afford to fly every month and have a cleaning lady (I love last minute deals). Car insurance full coverage is only $71 mth here. I only earn $35k yr before taxes - don't need much money to live in luxury here. Growing up, I've lived in Hawaii, California, North Carolina, Dallas and New York. Kansas City is the cheapest luxury living you'll ever find in the US.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,916 times
Deal with the cold for 35 years, then post a coment

Florida is very nice, people who live there dont relize how f______ cold it is up north, trust me cold gets old fast.

I do hate polk county, blaaaaaaaaaa what a dirty town, and reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddd necks man im telling you they are stupid as hell.

The best place to live is fort myers, lots of old people, very warm and peaceful.

Ok, good luck with the old heating bills. You will spend your life saveings trying to stay warm up north, trust me, I know I live in IN.

Besides, you Florida crakers cant drive on snow, we would all be in trouble.

Anyway, just consider the cold, and I do meen cold -2 F -10 F OH yea, Jan Feb. Good Luck you have never been cold until you cant feel your face anymore.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-15-2011 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Please only post one response not one sentence per posts

Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,842 times
Greetings, my husband and I are 40, no small children and are starting a home improvement business. We are looking to relocate to FL but will need to start with something relatively inexpensive (renting that is) but need to have something close to fishing, the beaches and not too long of a commute to South FL (willing to travel 30mins to an hour to the Miami area) Currently we will need to find suitable employment to supplement monies spent for the relocation and to get more start up capital for the business. So in short we need to be in an area the has reasonable employment (with decent salaries) and reasonable rental prices.
Thanks so much

Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM

29 posts, read 57,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi2278 View Post
I've been considering a move to South Florida also and I'm really laughing at what some people have written on this thread. I live in Los Angeles, and if you want to talk expensive, come here. Average home in this town (in a good area is about $1 million now, and one bedroom condos are about $450 and up). And these are just small, basic places. Nothing extravagant. So to say $250 for a home is ridiculous, just makes me laugh hysterically.
Florida prices in no way even compare to that of LA. I'm considering moving there just because its so much cheaper and Im close to the Caribbean. Also, LA is just like Florida in terms of Spanish speaking. But Im sure there are many places, just like here, that are bilingual.
Sorry, just had to throw my 2 cents in. Thanks for the good laugh about the prices.
Whats'up with the "Spanish" thing... is that bad to have bilingual people in your area? came on......................... open minds please!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 PM

29 posts, read 57,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williampascal View Post
I am so frustrated because my girlfriend wants me to move to Florida. I went there twice and I realized it is not a good place to people who want a career with a better pay. I have a MBA I imagine how I will find a Job in this state. Most people over there are jobless and do not have education as people in East Coast especially in New York.The weather is so crazy, hot with a lot of humidities.The funny thing, I was taking a shower and while being in the tub I was sweating.As I said and most people have been saying the same thing. Florida is a retiree state it is not dedicated for people who seek jobs.In resume, do not move to Florida if you are not strong financially.

Thanks,

William Pascal Exilus
This is too funny.. to be an educated person.. you need to do a better research...!!!!! have you looked at the large Corporations in Tampa??? I was making $60,000 in NC... I got a 40% salary increase when I came here... YOU HAVE TO BELEIVE!.. IN YOURSELF..............

Old 04-23-2011, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Strang View Post
I am a Canadian citizen, (Newfoundlander). I am located in one of the coldest provinces in Canada and am now close to retirement. I was wondering if someone could give me some information about a quiet place to live in Florida. I was thinking about Ocala, Florida but some of the reviews I've seen kind of got me thinking. I will be drawing a pension from my workplace and am wondering about inexpensive housing, taxes, etc. It doesn't matter if it is a townhouse, apt. 55+ living.

Can anyone out there guide me as to where the best place would be. I don't want to shovel another blade of snow as long as I am on the face of this earth. LOL
Hi there,I saw your post and it caught my interest. My mother came from Newfoundland,and I visited my cousin for the first time in Placentia.I have been looking for a house in Port st. Lucie in the southbend area,which is a popular place to live.The prices seem to maintain a healthy premium to the rest of port st.Lucie.I believe home prices are bottoming out 2011 to 2012.alot of canadians and europeans are taking advantage of strong canadian dollar and euro and buying up these properties.its a no brainer for them.Our dollar is worth 75 cents or so.You are buying alot cheaper then me.It all depends where you want to live. If you like solitude try looking in Torino port st. lucie. there are alot of gated comunitys in port saint lucie and Stuart (Martin county) I think you will like both places. taxes average about 2500 to 3500 american a year.I just bought in southbend 2200 square feet at 160,000.00. They had it listed it for 199.900.00 .mediam prices are in port st. lucie are 142.000.00.My advice is to visit florida,rent a car and stay for 10 days and do you home work.Good luck Tommy McHugh (NUFFY) p.s. Do you know any Millers? or Mchughs. That would be a small world. All the best!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,557 times
i agree i hate florida too cant wait to leave here forever. ive been to many places and states and i would have to say that its pretty much rude snotty people who are from every where but here. not a good place to raise kids either surrounded by strip clubs and bars forget the beach you have to pay to park and hope u have ur own beach chair because if not u can rent one for $10.00 . no florida is not what it use to be its worse. very aggressive drivers and snotty people wish i would have never moved to this state could have lived great without this place. also prob has the highest amount of missing children and sexual predators. dont move here! good luck finding work thats worth a dam.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,359 times
Wow you make Florida sound absolutely horrifying. My husband works for a chain drug store and can transfer. He will have a job. I am a hairstylist. I can ge a job. I do have kids this is the scary part... So any Positive feed back? To the person who said the best place is different for everybody. Yes I know but why do you love daytona?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsforchrist View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?
So where did that place end up being as many posters are looking for that same place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida