Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

Compared to New York Florida is the best place to go. New York is expensive and the rent is $1,000-$2,000. Even the crime is horrible now it is even worse with the terrorist attacks on the rise! New Yorkers do not know when the next attack will be and where. People are not safe in New York City. Children do not learn in public schools. You can not even enjoy a night out without you being robbed or killed. New York is fast paced and noisey. If you want to leave Florida that is fine but for me Florida is my utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 25,813 times
Bradenton is great. We are going back this summer. We currently live in St Louis MO, and let me tell you, I can put up with heat more than I can with rednecks, and boy there is a lot of them here.
Work is down countrywide, not just Florida. My wife and kids love it and that is why we are going back, because as a family there are tons of things we can do to enjoy everyday life.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 AM

43 posts, read 89,512 times
I found this thread very interesting, as I live in UK and visit Florida whenever I can. I want to relocate to US, preferably Tampa Bay area or Cape Coral, depending on where I will get a job.

First of all, I might not know what the life in Florida is all about, as I only go there on holiday BUT:

People who say that traffic is bad should see our traffic in England... And the angry drivers! Every time when I drive in florida, I feel like I am in heaven - wide smooth roads and not much traffic compared to UK. Here, in UK the only places where you can overtake people are motorways, other roads are too narrow. So imagine how angry one can be, when some old grandpa is doing 20 in a 40 mile zone, and you can not even overtake him!

Humidity - well, after our weather, humidity seems great. I'd rather be hot, than cold. But this is a personal preference.

House prices in Miami are compareble to UK prices. However, the houses in Miami (say for 250k) look so MUCH nicer than houses in the UK for the same price. Plus, most of the houses in FL are bigger than our ones. However, I am looking at houses in Tampa bay area, primarily in Sarasota and I can say that prices are laughable.

Spanish Language - ok, in Miami it is a bit of an issue, at least for me, because I don't know any spanish. It was a bit tricky to order food in KFC where staff did not speak much english. However, if I lived there, I would learn Spanish, knowing several languages is always a plus.

Angry people - I have travelled all over Europe, and I can say that I've never met a nation as friendly as Americans. I also think that Floridians are much more friendly than people from up North (Chicago, NY, etc.). It seems that everyone in Florida (at least central Florida) is chilled out!

From my experience in Florida, I can say that Miami is very different to the rest of florida, culture wise, price wise and population wise. Unfortunately I've been to some bad parts of Miami, and thought that I might get shot. But at the end of the day, if you have a decent job you won't live in those areas and will avoid them. So the life can not be all that bad.

My question is - where would it be best to settle for me, as I am a graduate Civil Engineer?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,434 times
florida is not that expensive i live in new york where the people r rude, theres never any parking, traffic is horrible even taking the train is stressful oh and the rent is just way too high and to buy a condo good luck cause there over priced .... and lets not talk about crime thats another thing ... so florida for me is great and trust me ive lived in many states

Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 PM

399 posts, read 719,757 times
How is Jacksonville like? I have a wife and a baby. I'm sick and tired of Miami. I work in the ems field. What are good neighborhoods in Jacksonville?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,201 times
i was thinking of moving to florida but i dont know which part are the best . i am from Newyork city and down everything is expensive and the violance is off the roof . nyc the kids are killing eachother and the rent is sky high . plus no job

Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
What job skills do you have, and what are you willing to do? (It's a lousy job in many ways, but CNAs and serveral other health care entry level/paraprofessional sort of jobs always seem to have openings) Big city, mid-sized metro, urban, suburban, or rural?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,118 times
Hi, i am so thinking about moving to florida later next year in 2011. I am going to school right now for medical billing and insurance a nine month class, hopefully theirs jobs in florida in that field that are available. I live in baltimore maryland right now, i am so so tired of the cold weather and snow, and this city is always crying about no money, always in debt, cutting jobs, and im tired of driving on bad roads every single day. I would take the warm weather any day over a blizzard, we got hit with two blizzards back to back in march. I am 32 years old , no kids and single. I travel to florida just about every year, sometimes twice a year, i have been to miami, orlando, and kissimmee fl. I no miami is out, there i do know is a expensive place to live. And i was looking for some feed back, that would help me decide what city in florida would be cheap as far as buying a house, low crime rate, and a city that doesn't see alot of hurricanes. I can deal with the sudden rains in the summer time, i have witnessed that. Any suggestions.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 36,875 times
We are now living in Las Vegas, Nevada, the heat(even dry)is getting to us, event thugh we are retired( with a tiny income) we want to work part-time, the jobs here are ???? , and my wife is alleragic to the dust. We are thinking of Florida, by inland, what is everyone 's thoughts?

Old 07-24-2010, 02:27 PM

10 posts, read 36,875 times
Move to Las Vegas, no snow, unless you travel to the mountains, no rain EVER.. well, this last year was an exception. The crime rate is really not bad, but you will need to spend most of your day indoors with air running 24/7 durin the summer. Winters are not very cold... It can get down to freezing, but if you are not in bed by 4 AM, you my friend are a loser. Even if you hit the stip, you will be in someones bed by that time..
Alnvegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida