Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Do you see any difference in how often the kids are sick? I know people we know up north when ever you call in the winter someone is always sick especially the kids. If my wife go up for a visit she always come back having gotten sick from someone up there.
Not necessarily. I was born & raised in OH & wasn't sick all the time.

Spent the past 5 yrs in central TX where I suffered from more colds & serious allergy problems than I did in OH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,706 times
It's around 90 today in SWFL. Hot hot hot

Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
As of 3:00pm EST

Savannah, GA...90
Charlotte, NC...89
Richmond, VA...90
Phoenix, AZ...86
Baghdad, Iraq (10om their time)...88

It appears other places are also warm right now...who would have thunk it???

Anchorage, Alaska is 45 degrees, though.

Last edited by 121804; 05-02-2007 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-02-2007, 01:37 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Why would people want to stay inside?
Florida indoors is often brutally cold.
Wearing sandals I almost lost a few toes to frost bite there.

Seriously though I love being outside when it's 90 F, even with 80% humidity and doing manual labor in the hot sunshine; it's still easier to deal with than 40 F weather.

Feel sluggish in 5 minutes? Impossible! (for me at least )
I go into a sauna hot enough I have to leave my watch off or it will burn me and it takes over 10 minutes just to break a sweat and maybe 15-20 minutes to feel sluggish and that's like what, 120-160 F?
Haha I agree coldcanadian. Hate those grocery stores and public places that they keep overly air conditioned. I love being in the damn outdoors in general on a hot and sunny day. Doing manual labor is fun too -- I miss doing some yardwork, cleaning gutters from my parents house back at home, washing and polishing my car -- man was meant to do some manual labor.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:41 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
its the main reason i still live here.

I dont know how id be able to live somewhere cold again... :-\

Old 05-02-2007, 01:51 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,616 times
I wouldn't say I love it or hate. Do I prefer it? Absolutely. I love being in a climate where things grow almost year round. And for that you need at least a sub tropical climate ie; Florida.

Snow if beautiful when it first happens, but it's so darn cold. Then it turns to brown sludge. Gross!

I HATE being COLD. Some advise, If you step into the shade in florida it's usually a few degrees cooler. If one chooses to be a roofer in August, that's just a little crazy to me. At least do road construction, in florida they usually work at night in high traffic areas. My husband is from england and he thinks that is sooo cool.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:14 PM

86 posts, read 221,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Why do you think a good portion of people wait to retire before moving to Florida??? I mean they're moving to Florida FOR the weather usually, but why don't they just pick up and move at the age of 45??? Why do they wait until they retire at 65???

Answer: Like I said in another thread, it would be nice if we could all pick up and move our entire lives because we hate the weather or the place we live..... Many times jobs pick us and you get into a place that you can't get out of without taking a massive financial slap.....

So suppose Nirvana works in a sheet-metal plant (I dont' think he does, but just as an example.). He's worked there for 10 years, has some seniority and is a ways up the payscale. Let's also say he's married with two small children. Now what sense does it make to up and move, lose the seniority and take a paycut with a family to support, no matter how much you may dislike where you are living???

It doesn't.

So please would people stop pretending like it's so easy. It took me five years of planning and plotting to move on with minimal financial ramifications, so I'm not saying it's impossible, but to make it sound so simple isn't fair....
well according to ng, jobs in florida are none to be found and the pay is terrible so that point makes no sense. if that's the case i find it hard to believe he coulden't find something else since he hates florida so much.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,549 times
I delight in the absence of cold. I delight in the absence of ice on the sidewalk. I delight in the absence of temperatures below zero. I delight in the absence of days of never seeing the sun, just dreary cold days one after the other.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
If I understand what you are saying then the person has accepted a trade off in their life that benefits them, so they should stop complaining. All you are describing are excuses and looking for someone to blame. No one says it is easy but complaining adds nothing especially about something as stupid as the weather. He's not moving by the way, because he can't sell his condo.
What I'm describing is a perfectly legitimate scenario..... Oh not being able to sell a condo is a good thing??? Yay Florida???

You aren't being realistic or fair in your assessment as far as I can tell.... I don't know NG's specific circumstances, but I can speak to the fact that reaching a financial "comfort zone" might seem like a wonderful benefit, but it simply isn't always. ESPECIALLY when real estate prices, taxes and insurance suddenly blow up to rediculous proportions..

Again, I'll ask why all those complaining about the northern winters wait to retire and don't just move down here now??? Why do they wait??? Why b**ch about the winter??? What, they didn't KNOW Massachusettes got cold??? Just move and DO something about it now, right???

Or does that line of thinking only work when you love it here and are annoyed with people who don't???

It isn't that simple to up and move your life and I'll repeat that issues in Florida, INCLUDING WEATHER have seemed to magnify in the last five years....... Please deny it.....

Old 05-02-2007, 09:18 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
These threads are always good for a laugh.

"Help me! Help me! Somebody save me from the tropical heat! Can't you see I'm sweating here?"
OMG My I have to shovel a 12 foot driveway!! OMG I have to scrape ice off my windshield!! OMG I have to have to turn on the heater!! My feets are cold!!

Doesn't this work both ways???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida