Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Type Of Coffee Maker Do You Prefer: DRIP OR PERCOLATED?
I Prefer Drip Coffee Makers. 69 58.97%
I Prefer Percolator Coffee Makers. 32 27.35%
I'm Not Sure Which I Prefer. 6 5.13%
I Have No Opinion. 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times

Advertisements

Neither. I use my French Press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
And then bounce off the walls for about 4 hours?
Yeah thats exactally what i'd do.. nothing in moderation here.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I have a Bialetti stovetop (I'm not sure if that is considered a percolator but I think it is) and do not know how I ever drank drip. I especially don't like paper-filter drip b/c it wastes so much paper.

There are certain coffees that taste better with a drip, especially lighter roasts. However, for espresso/dark roasts, I think that percolators yield a better taste, although you do have to be careful not to burn it.
I use that one too with cafe bustelo. cheap and strong.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I have a Bialetti stovetop (I'm not sure if that is considered a percolator but I think it is) and do not know how I ever drank drip. I especially don't like paper-filter drip b/c it wastes so much paper.

There are certain coffees that taste better with a drip, especially lighter roasts. However, for espresso/dark roasts, I think that percolators yield a better taste, although you do have to be careful not to burn it.
Grew up with Bialetti, and when I moved my grandmother made sure she gave me a new one.

Always drink espresso, never instant & don't know what drip is....

Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
I've been a percolator coffee fan for years. My parents used a percolator when I was growing up and I remember the wonderful smells and sounds from that machine so naturally I had to use a perc too.

In college I had a roommate who used a Mr. Coffee drip coffee machine. Other friends and family members also used drip coffee machines. I've never liked any of the coffee that came from a drip.

Recently bought a french press and am looking forward to using it. French press users rave about it. I'm eager to see if it's as good or better than using a percolator.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
After years of messing around with the cheaper models of Mr. Coffee etc that run from $12 to $25 I finally bought a Braun for about $70 and am very happy with the performance and the coffee. Have had it now for almost 3 years.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:40 PM

46 posts, read 180,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I use a Bunn drip machine, but I have NO problem with percolated coffee from someone who knows how to make it. One of those who does is my sister. She makes excellent perc coffee in an old graniteware pot like the one in the pic.
The simplest and the best. I have an old Corning Ware stove-top percolator that belonged to my Aunt. I also picked up two more at garage sales, just in case.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 PM

317 posts, read 576,573 times
K-cup

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I've been a percolator coffee fan for years. My parents used a percolator when I was growing up and I remember the wonderful smells and sounds from that machine so naturally I had to use a perc too.
I realize this is an old post, but the whole topic has just been revived in another thread so I'll pitch in my opinion on the topic here as well.

Coffee experts, like coffee tasters and coffee blenders pretty much universally name percolators as one of the very worst ways to brew coffee. So why do some people name them as their favorites?

Mostly, I think, because it's what they are used to from some formative point in their lives, so they associate it with "good coffee" because it is associated with pleasurable emotions.

Stovetop percolators were the first "automatic" coffee makers, so they quickly became very popular. And electric models made them even more popular, because they could be used in other rooms than the kitchen. The biggest problem is that they boil the coffee, which extracts the most bitter taste elements and they burn the flavor oils that are responsible for the good taste and smell of well made coffee.

What percolators do best is to put coffee's taste and smell oils into the air, rather than into the cup. That's why they are ideal for real estate agents who are staging a house for an open house. They do make a kitchen smell amazing! But for best taste, there are better brewing methods.

They other thing they do is serve the very hottest possible coffee, literally making it possible for the coffee to still be boiling when it hits the cup. Frankly, this is dangerous, and can lead to scalding. And the heat tends to mask the bitterness in the taste, which is why some people come to associate very hot coffee with quality.

But the fullest tasting, richest, best tasting coffee is made... by a number of other methods... with water that is slightly below the boiling point of water, and is itself never directly heated. Filter paper coffee and French Press coffee are the two best known of those methods. French press is the coffee brewing method of choice for most coffee professional tasters.

But people have a tendancy to choose what they are most used to, over what is best. People are funny that way.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I use an old corning glass percolator. Rich, flavorful coffee. I did enjoy my son n laws Krueger (sp?) while visiting recently...but I'm positive as much as I drink coffee I would go broke. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink