Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times

Advertisements

We don't have family in the area, so it is rare that we have guests. It's usually just our family, and now since the kids are in college, if the oldest's school is playing at home, he doesn't come home. He stays at school for the big game. On the rare occasion that we have had family come for the holidays, they are coming from out of town, so bringing a dish isn't really possible. The one time we did live near some of our relatives, DH's brother and his family, I preferred that they not bring anything. BIL's wife is a horrible cook. To her, microwaving some frozen green beans is her idea of cooking a side. She was always wonderful with helping with the cleanup though.

The last time we had guest for Thanksgiving, it was just my parents, so it was no big deal. I did all the cooking and most of the cleanup. My mom is more of a hindrance than a help in the kitchen. She kind of just stands there and looks around. I can get it done much quicker, if she just sets out of the way. This year, we will probably be traveling to see our oldest at school. He attends DH's alma mater and DH is really wanting to go to the game with him. I will probably try to cook something at our son's house. Again, I will do everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Hmm. I'm in my senior year at college in the UK. For me, thanksgiving is the chief display of solidarity amongst Americans and/or an opportunity to share culture (stuffing ourselves) with the Europeans.

Traditionally, I've done the cooking (my future wife will at least enjoy a trained cook!). I normally expect others to furnish cash, wine, and/or sides to help with the cost while I give up the $15 to buy the Turkey and basically my whole Thursday. Generally, the meals are spectacular, as with all the resources pooled, I can afford to make, buy locally, or import (from home) the best.

Typical Thanksgiving when all help out in some form (labor, food, cash, booze)

11lb turkey, with a touch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper, rubbed with honey to seal in flavor. Basted with 1.5 quarts of fresh-squeezed orange juice.

Bell's stuffing (sent from home). Fresh celery added. Prepared with bullion added to the water. Egg added.

Cranberry sauce w/ port wine. (Holy Jesus is this good!)

Mulled wine or cider (Irish; Magners/Bulmers).

Carrots sliced and glazed in maple syrup or honey & butter, contingent on group consensus.

Fresh mashed potatoes.

Fresh bread from the bakery.

Apple pie from the bakery (if it weren't home-made quality, I wouldn't buy it).

Locally made vanilla ice cream.

Sancere (blanc) wine, $15 here, but with US duties, the same French bottle would cost $25.

Helping out=delicious. Also, the cook isn't slipping poison into dessert. :evil:

Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I love Thanksgiving. We have a small family so it's never a big blowout, but everyone pitches in in some way.

With prices going up, I don't think anyone would be surprised if you asked them to bring a side dish or dessert.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:41 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Default Thanksgiving Menu

Let's have a thread on menu items, particularly those side dishes that everyone looks forward to one day a year.

I wish for the ability to be flexible but for me it never seems to happen. We add things, but nothing ever seems to come off the menu.

Last year it was dinner for 26.

Turkey
Gravy made from turkey stock cooked from additional pieces the night before.
Chestnut and sage dressing.
Fresh and canned cranberry sauce.
Mashed potatoes.
Brussels sprouts, sauteed with bacon pieces, shallots, butter and white wine.
Sweet potatoes baked with brown sugar and butter.
Green beans and cottage ham.
Dinner rolls.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:59 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Hey Wilson,

For the first time ever we are going to someone elses house for Dinner.
Mostly, due to Granny not wanting to deal with any little children so much anymore.

I do know I am bringing my Favorites to pass.
Mashed Turnips
Brussels sprouts in cream sauce as well as anything else asked of me.

And i'm making a pie I got out of my latest penzy's catalouge, I made it yesterday as a trial run..
It's a pain in the azz to make but ohhh it's worth it..

Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
I love LOVE Thanksgiving!! A feast, a dessert buffet, and tons of family from near and far

I get to see both of my nephews, one who has 3 delightful (seriously!) children - two of them are twin boys, age 5... and a daughter who is sooo cool, age 7. My oldest sister hosts dinner for about 14 usually. This will be my second year not eating the turkey, as i dont eat meat anymore.

We all bring a side dish, and a dessert. The desserts are set up on a seperate table til dinner is over, so we can ooh and ahh over them

We have roasted turkey and stuffing/homemade gravy
mashed potatos
candied sweet potatos
creamed pearl onions
green bean casserole
celery stuffed w/cream cheese
stuffed candied dates
green and black olives
baked rolls
homemade cole slaw
carrot and raison salad, or Waldorf salad
homemade cranberry sauce, and canned
iced tea, beer, wine

homemade desserts:
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
birthday cake (for my other sister)
mince tarts
apple pie
chocolate brownies, or cookies
cheesecake

I come from a Welsh background, so many of the foods are things my mom prepared thruout our Thanksgivings growing up.

I love reading everyone's menus!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
I've read the marny letter too, on AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com I LOVE that website! Luckily for me, my crazy sister has moved away, so we don't have to endure her frozen green beans, microwaved, NOT drained, and 3 slices of plastic cheese laid on top. OR her children looking at the fantastic spread I put out every year and going "Ick. I'm not eating that." So it will just be my grateful husband, my equally grateful mother, and me. And lots of wine. And the Packers on TV.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I will be spending Thanksgiving alone or perhaps, with a city data friend. We'll see how it goes.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
We have been invited to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. They have a gathering every year for all of us who don't have family close by. This year there will be about 28 of us.

I am going to try this recipe and bring it:
Honey-Roasted Root Vegetables Recipe | MyRecipes.com

I am also bring Ghiradelli brownies for the chocolate lovers

Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I love Thanksgiving, but unfortunately, I will be working again this year. Hmm..this makes 13 years in a row. So, my thanksgiving feast will take place the Sunday after the big day. At least I know I will be delivering people to their families far away! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Love one another and be thankful for the blessings in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink